Accident Blame?

Nothing to do with me but I was having a browse through ‘youtube’ and I stumbled upon this video and knowing how good some of the members are at dissecting accidents :wink: I wondered what members thoughts would be…

Truck was in right hand turn lane, decided he didn’t want to be and moved over without looking and hit a car.
100% trucks fault.

I believe the HGV driver to be at fault for being in the wrong lane you see too much of this where drivers in all vehicles don’t read the road properly

Yup, unfortunately from the video it does look like the HGV driver is at fault,

HGV

I think it could be both in the wrong lane then decided to get in the correct lane at the same time.

The truck was in the right turn lane and moved over to the left, but if you follow the path of the scafolding truck he is in the middle lane, which become the left of 2 lane after the previous exit. The Audi appears to come from the far left lane which goes down the exit before into the same lane as the truck is going for.

Looks like the blue car was in the lane to take the slip but moved into the middle lane late, maybe even crossed the hatched area. That definately contributed to the collision, but if lorry driver had looked properly, he could have avoided him. I’d say 50/50 blame.

Captain Caveman 76:
Looks like the blue car was in the lane to take the slip but moved into the middle lane late, maybe even crossed the hatched area. That definately contributed to the collision, but if lorry driver had looked properly, he could have avoided him. I’d say 50/50 blame.

yep

It looks to me that both drivers wanted to change lane at the same time but the car was a bit in front of the lorry, the lorry driver should have slowed down a bit and give way.

While the car driver wasn’t in the correct lane I’d have to say the accident was the lorry drivers fault for refusing to give way, it was obvious the car was changing lanes before the accident, in fact to me it looks like the lorry driver was deliberately trying to stop the car from going in front.

Personally I was thinking 50/50 with some sympathy for the truck driver. From what I see the car was in left turn lane and belatedly decided to cut across into the right hand lane at the same time the truck driver decided to change lanes. I would think that a fair proportion of this manoeuvre would of put the car in the trucks blind spot however it would of been safer for the truck driver to wait until the straight section of road before changing lanes.

Since the car was in front of the lorry when the lorry started to make his move, I would guess the law would be on the side of the car driver - if it was up to me I would tell them to fix their own but I suspect the law would favour the car driver. not a 100% sure though.

Around 8 seconds from when the car could be seen by the camera to the point of contact, truck driver chose to hit the car.

Vid:
…truck driver chose to hit the car.

Struggling to understand why any truck driver would purposely cause an accident, to what benefit would it serve? The paperwork alone is too much of an headache. :confused:

Vid:
Around 8 seconds from when the car could be seen by the camera to the point of contact, truck driver chose to hit the car.

I strongly suspect the car was in the drivers blind spot and they’ve assumed (always dangerous) that it’s gone down the slip since its disappeared from view.
Everyone like to lay the blame at someone’s door, but most collisions (not accidents) are the result of a combination of factors. Remove ANY one of them and the collision doesn’t occur.

I have to say that I still think it’s the hgv drivers fault cos I’d easily have missed that car… if I’d wanted to, which is what he didn’t do. Maybe he was cheesed of with being cut up etc on that particular day and thought F***it.

109LWB:
Truck was in right hand turn lane, decided he didn’t want to be and moved over without looking and hit a car.
100% trucks fault.

Probably because like the car and the drop side truck he was turning right.In which case the procedure is/should be use the correctly marked right lane then move over before the exit.The problem in this case is he was using the correct lane to turn right they weren’t.Having said that yes it could probably been avoided if he’d have stopped when he saw the car where it shouldn’t have been.

Carryfast:

109LWB:
100% trucks fault.

Probably because like the car and the drop side truck he was turning right.In which case the procedure is use the correctly marked right lane then move over before the exit.The problem in this case is he was using the correct lane to to turn right they weren’t.Having said that yes it could probably been avoided if he’d have stopped when he saw the car where it shouldn’t have been.

mabey he thought the car was 3 meters away from him as it turned in,when actually it was only 9 feet… :smiley:

As far as I can see both lanes are for turning right, so the lorry should have stayed in the right lane exited into the right lane on the exiting road.

Glen A9:
As far as I can see both lanes are for turning right, so the lorry should have stayed in the right lane exited into the right lane on the exiting road.

Exactly where do the road marking state all lanes turn right as opposed to right lane only.Bearing in mind the Highway Code procedure at roundabouts.

The left has an ahead and left arrow, the right lane has an ahead arrow. Bearing in mind there is no ahead direction from that entry (since that would take you back onto the road you had left) that must mean both lanes are for right turns.
I can see why it wouldn’t be immediately obvious to someone not familiar with the junction and assume the only the right lane goes right.
When I watched the video first I was wondering why all the other traffic was going past the first two exits in the left lane, but looking at the whole layout of the junction I would assume they are going by local knowledge that that lane takes them to the left lane of the dual carriageway on the exit.
It could be marked or signed on the approach to make that clearer, eg with destinations marked on the lanes.