Accident Blame?

Glen A9:
The left has an ahead and left arrow, the right lane has an ahead arrow. Bearing in mind there is no ahead direction from that entry (since that would take you back onto the road you had left) that must mean both lanes are for right turns.
I can see why it wouldn’t be immediately obvious to someone not familiar with the junction and assume the only the right lane goes right.
When I watched the video first I was wondering why all the other traffic was going past the first two exits in the left lane, but looking at the whole layout of the junction I would assume they are going by local knowledge that that lane takes them to the left lane of the dual carriageway on the exit.
It could be marked or signed on the approach to make that clearer, eg with destinations marked on the lanes.

The right lane ( 3 ) doesn’t have an ahead arrow it has a right arrow.If they want the centre lane of the roundabout to also go right it should also be marked with a right arrow.‘Ahead’ in this case obviously meaning traffic turning right from the previous Caswell Road entry for the A45.The left arrow in lane 2 being a total bs red herring that’s likely to result in conflict between traffic in lanes 1 and 2 of the roundabout taking the A45 exit in that case.While the two lanes on the approach to the roundabout should be marked and split left or right bearing mind that neither needs to go straight ahead.IE stupid traffic planners who don’t know the highway code procedure at roundabouts combined with just as bad drivers.

Captain Caveman 76:

Vid:
Around 8 seconds from when the car could be seen by the camera to the point of contact, truck driver chose to hit the car.

I strongly suspect the car was in the drivers blind spot and they’ve assumed (always dangerous) that it’s gone down the slip since its disappeared from view.
Everyone like to lay the blame at someone’s door, but most collisions (not accidents) are the result of a combination of factors. Remove ANY one of them and the collision doesn’t occur.

Agree with the above…

Not wishing to thrash out the highway code, cockface rules for roundabouts as each one has their own dynamics and yes sometimes keeping left will allow a smooth transition to a right turn especially if a natural feed onto designated lanes is possible. Etc

In this case holding the right hand lane would have avoided the incident and it could be argued the car gave the truck room on the roundabout and unfortunately went out of sight, this could lead the truck driver to believe the car had exited.

However the car came back into view well before the collision and it appears was struck deliberately.
I would need to interview the drivers involved and check dashcam location to confirm what view the driver had of the unfolding incident.

Blame appears more on the truck drivers side from the footage context.

For newbys, it’s quite acceptable to go round a roundabout again if the alternative is to hit another vehicle. This extra lap will allow better lane choosing and it’s good fun.
I try and keep it to 3 laps maximum unless on the border of the London lorry ban at 6.55am where multiple loops are possible.

Truck was all over the place, car stayed in the same lane, and was in front. Trucker’s fault.

Carryfast:
While the two lanes on the approach to the roundabout should be marked and split left or right bearing mind that neither needs to go straight ahead.IE stupid traffic planners who don’t know the highway code procedure at roundabouts combined with just as bad drivers.

The lanes on the approach indicate what I described. The left is for the first exit and the third exit and the right lane is for the third exit. Since no traffic from that approach will be using the second exit the ahead direction must mean the third exit. Guidance on road markings says that right turn arrows shouldn’t be used on the approaches to large roundabouts due to the risk of a driver interpreting that literary and turning right onto the roundabout.
I would agree that the arrow markings on three lane bit are misleading - I would suggest that the arrow on lane 2 was meant to have been ahead/right and has ended up as ahead/left by mistake.

As for what the Highway Code says, it is guidance for what should be done under normal circumstances unless signs or markings state otherwise.

As for the situation the driver found himself in if he was expecting that only traffic in the right lane was turning right. Once he saw the other traffic continue past the second exit, all he had to do was stay in the right lane and assess if it was safe to exit the roundabout alongside the other traffic when he got to his exit. And to be prepared to have to continue round if he wasn’t able to exit.
There was no need for him to change lane between the exits and especially not when on the bend, which would have reduced his view to the nearside.

We drive on the left in this country, therefore the law is almost always on the side of the driver who does just that. The car driver was in the n/s lane, the truck driver was prior to the accident, in the r/h/ lane, then decided he didnt want that lane after all so ITS HIS FAULT…thats the problem in this country, drivers dont know their arse from their elbow, and never follow lane procedure.

After watching the vid, it is clearly the fault of the HGV…

Glen A9:

Carryfast:
While the two lanes on the approach to the roundabout should be marked and split left or right bearing mind that neither needs to go straight ahead.IE stupid traffic planners who don’t know the highway code procedure at roundabouts combined with just as bad drivers.

The lanes on the approach indicate what I described. The left is for the first exit and the third exit and the right lane is for the third exit. Since no traffic from that approach will be using the second exit the ahead direction must mean the third exit. Guidance on road markings says that right turn arrows shouldn’t be used on the approaches to large roundabouts due to the risk of a driver interpreting that literary and turning right onto the roundabout.
I would agree that the arrow markings on three lane bit are misleading - I would suggest that the arrow on lane 2 was meant to have been ahead/right and has ended up as ahead/left by mistake.

As for what the Highway Code says, it is guidance for what should be done under normal circumstances unless signs or markings state otherwise.

As for the situation the driver found himself in if he was expecting that only traffic in the right lane was turning right. Once he saw the other traffic continue past the second exit, all he had to do was stay in the right lane and assess if it was safe to exit the roundabout alongside the other traffic when he got to his exit. And to be prepared to have to continue round if he wasn’t able to exit.
There was no need for him to change lane between the exits and especially not when on the bend, which would have reduced his view to the nearside.

There are two lanes on the approach to the roundabout neither is marked with any direction other than ahead when it should be left lane turn left right lane turn right.While the roundabout is marked as lane 3 only turn right.In which case why would anyone use lane 1 on the approach to the roundabout to turn right. :unamused:

Changing lane before the exit when turning right is the correct procedure at a roundabout in which case there should be no one to the left at least in this case according to the road markings and the highway code.The problem in this case being if someone who doesn’t know how to drive ( most people these days obviously ) is there stop or stay in lane.Or do what the other muppets do in using the left lane to turn right on the approach to the roundabout thereby avoiding the problem.Bearing in mind there’s no reason as to why even lane 2 of the roundabout means turn right any more than lane 1 does according to the road markings. :unamused:

truckyboy:
We drive on the left in this country, therefore the law is almost always on the side of the driver who does just that. The car driver was in the n/s lane, the truck driver was prior to the accident, in the r/h/ lane, then decided he didnt want that lane after all so ITS HIS FAULT…thats the problem in this country, drivers dont know their arse from their elbow, and never follow lane procedure.

The truck driver was in the correct lane to turn right according to both the road markings and the highway code.The problem is all the muppets out there who think that drive on the left means use left lane to turn right at a roundabout.Read the highway code FFS.

The truck driver was in the correct lane to turn right according to both the road markings and the highway code.

I like how the important part is always missing from these videos - the signage couldn’t be any clearer - 100% truck driver’s fault
The problem is all the muppets out there who don’t bother reading road signs. Read what the road is telling you FFS.

arronls:
The problem is all the muppets out there who don’t bother reading road signs. Read what the road is telling you FFS.

Or the muppet road planners who’d rather use an easily missed or confused destination description which to add insult to injury not only contradicts the highway code procedure at roundabouts but also their own road markings on the roundabout. :unamused: If they really must have lanes 1 and 2 on the approach and then 2 and 3 on the roundabout turning right then at least sign it properly on the approach and mark it as such on the road.In which case no one with any sense driving a truck would then use lane 2 on the approach and lane 3 on the roundabout to turn right.

Coming onto Brackmills from that direction, both lanes are to be used as per the signage.

The road markings are not confusing - they indicate that both lanes may be used to follow the main route ahead. These vehicles are not technically turning right, they are following the main route ahead. This is shown on the roundabout sign which shows the third exit as a thicker line, the same thickness as the sliproad leading up to it. This is why the markings on the road show ‘straight ahead’ as opposed to ‘right’.

It’s a totally legal setup, but not without its misgivings - when it’s busy, traffic turning onto the A45(E) from Brackmills will come into conflict with traffic following the roundabout onto Brackmills in the left hand lane. In this instance, it’s best to take the right hand lane to follow the road onto Brackmills as this driver is doing, whilst of course being aware of and giving way to traffic doing so in the left hand (and more legally correct) lane.

Javiatrix:
Coming onto Brackmills from that direction, both lanes are to be used as per the signage.

The road markings are not confusing - they indicate that both lanes may be used to follow the main route ahead. These vehicles are not technically turning right, they are following the main route ahead.

In which case what does the right turn arrow in lane 3 of the ‘roundabout’ denote when it would be expected to show the same ahead arrow as lane 1 and lane 2 does because technically there is supposedly no right turn at all at that point on the roundabout only straight ahead.While by the ahead arrow idea all 3 lanes of the ‘roundabout’ can be used for the same exit on the ‘right’. :unamused:

Apart from the mixed up arrow in the middle lane of the three lane bit (which has probably just been marked the wrong way round) the lane arrangement is perfectly fine.
As I said, right turn arrows are not used on the approaches to this type of roundabout (only left or ahead arrows) to avoid drivers turning right.

The Highway Code does not state that the procedures listed are the only ways to negotiate a roundabout. It says that is the normal method “unless signs or markings indicate otherwise”.

Glen A9:
Apart from the mixed up arrow in the middle lane of the three lane bit (which has probably just been marked the wrong way round) the lane arrangement is perfectly fine.
As I said, right turn arrows are not used on the approaches to this type of roundabout (only left or ahead arrows) to avoid drivers turning right.

The Highway Code does not state that the procedures listed are the only ways to negotiate a roundabout. It says that is the normal method “unless signs or markings indicate otherwise”.

Notwithstanding the markings on the approach the relevant markings ‘on the roundabout’ clearly state that lanes 1 and 2 are for traffic turning right from Brackmills onto the A45 Eastbound with lane 3 only clearly marked for traffic turning right from the A45 to Brackmills.But yes changing the arrow in lane 2 to ahead and turn right would obviously be a game changer in that regard as would changing the arrows on the approach to left and right together in lane 1 and right in lane 2.In which case as I said no one driving a truck with any sense would use lane 2 on the approach and lane 3 on the roundabout.

But as it stands the road layout is more to blame than either driver.While the idea,of what should be a right turn arrow in lane 2 of the ‘roundabout’ actually ridiculously showing left,supposedly being ‘just marked the wrong way round’ is an understatement.