Prat Nav's ......... again

Never owned one, but after the other day’s experience i can quite see why trucks end up stuck down unsuitable roads be it in town or country.

Went on the train to pick up a Rolls Royce i look after from being serviced (£1200) & MOT’d.

It has a built in remote control Alpine prat nav system, but since the car was bought its always been in German. I’d asked the garage to see if, without spending any amount of time, they could get it working and in English.

They did, so i set it up for the address i was heading for.

I left the motorway & went accross country, knowing my way perfectly well. I’m glad i didn’t obey it, for if i had have done it would have had me away from the well flowing, straight forward major route & crawling through town centres etc.
3 times it wanted me to take the wrong exit from round-a-bouts and at one point it was so confused it was obvious it didn’t know where it was. :unamused:

Conclusion: nothing’s changed. I won’t be buying one any time soon.

It was probably set to “shortest route” rather than “fastest route”. It takes time to learn to use a satnav, I don’t think you can draw too many conclusions before you have.

a sat nav is only an electronic map, show a paper map to the average woman and she’ll be just as confused as you. learn how to use them before condemning them

I have no problem with satnav,mine is 5 year old and never been updated and ive never been in a bad situation yet, of course it sometimes wants me to use a cobbled back street now and again but you soon learn how to use them properly.

Its prat drivers mate not prat navs :wink:

bubsy06:
Its prat drivers mate not prat navs :wink:

Agree with that. I swear by mine - electronic A-Z, brilliant. Ideal for journey times as well, traffic permitting you know when or if you need a break before destination etc. Keep the map up to date and your well away with a bit of common sense :sunglasses:

As others have said, it’s not the sat nav, it’s the prat driver using it

Mine is on from the minute I set off to the minute I get back.

I wouldn’t be without it even though the bloody traffic warnings are useless.

Today heading north on the M6 going to J1 of the M5 my sat nav told me there was 14 minutes of delays on the M5 south and advised me to come off M6 J7 which I did. :smiley:

M6 south was at a standstill from J8 to J4A so lots of southbounders had the same idea. :cry: I sat on the off slip for a couple of mins then thought stuff this and got back on the M6 north and headed onto the M5 south ready for the traffic queue that wasn’t there. :unamused:

Yep, I even have our yard set as “home” and I set it to “home” every time I head home on a Friday, even though, after ten years, I know where the yard is. :wink:

I also find it very useful in times of poor visibility, or on a winding Spanish mountain road, to be able to see the road further ahead than my own eyes can.

I’ve been doing this for 23 years now and SatNav is the best thing that has ever been invented to make the job easier in my opinion.

Well i desided to spend some money i got for xmas and get the propper tom tom truck 7000 its ■■■■ hot i have been using it since 1jan and it has not ■■■■ up yet this is not a car tomtom with truck downloaded on it. Its the real tomtom truck 7000 best i have ever used :smiley:

Driveroneuk:
Never owned one, but after the other day’s experience i can quite see why trucks end up stuck down unsuitable roads be it in town or country.

Went on the train to pick up a Rolls Royce i look after from being serviced (£1200) & MOT’d.

It has a built in remote control Alpine prat nav system, but since the car was bought its always been in German. I’d asked the garage to see if, without spending any amount of time, they could get it working and in English.

I left the motorway & went accross country, knowing my way perfectly well. I’m glad i didn’t obey it, for if i had have done it would have had me away from the well flowing, straight forward major route & crawling through town centres etc.
3 times it wanted me to take the wrong exit from round-a-bouts and at one point it was so confused it was obvious it didn’t know where it was. :unamused:

No mention of you setting it up correctly, you just used it as was, so your findings are meaningless. Any kit of this type is only as good as the operator.

A post from a thread on www.SatNavNetUK.com - By Sat Navs, for Sat Navs

I am an Alpine sat Nav fitted into a Rolls Royce and you wouldn’t believe the prat driver I had use me the other day. Instead of letting me guide him to his destination by well flowing, straight forward major routes he had me guiding him through congested town centres. His only saving grace was he did ignore my directions and went the way I would have guided him had he selected the correct options in the first place.

Conclusion: I hope he won’t be using me again any time soon.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Big ■■■■:
Well i desided to spend some money i got for xmas and get the propper tom tom truck 7000 its [zb] hot i have been using it since 1jan and it has not [zb] up yet this is not a car tomtom with truck downloaded on it. Its the real tomtom truck 7000 best i have ever used :smiley:

I’m sure it must be fantastic, but it’s £420 and I couldn’t justify spending that much on one.

If you need to employ a Rolls-Royce mechanic to change the language from German to English, it’s fairly safe to say that you haven’t got the hang of it yet :wink:

As a trade plater I* use mine to show me the mileage from A toB, and sometimes in towns. It usually gets me within a few yards of my destination and then its use your loaf time, but as Harry says it needs to be set up properly to be used properly.i update mine every weekend[ well my grandson does].after all its a computer and can only give out what is put in it.

Harry Monk:

Big ■■■■:
Well i desided to spend some money i got for xmas and get the propper tom tom truck 7000 its [zb] hot i have been using it since 1jan and it has not [zb] up yet this is not a car tomtom with truck downloaded on it. Its the real tomtom truck 7000 best i have ever used :smiley:

I’m sure it must be fantastic, but it’s £420 and I couldn’t justify spending that much on one.

Harry i spent £399 YES £399 i no it was OTT but i got £150 in my xmas cards and the wife gave me £100 so i only needed to put £150 to it and fitted a mini safe in the cab for £20.00 to keep it safe when i leave the cab :smiley: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Driveroneuk:

No mention of you setting it up correctly, you just used it as was, so your findings are meaningless. Any kit of this type is only as good as the operator.

A post from a thread on www.SatNavNetUK.com - By Sat Navs, for Sat Navs

I am an Alpine sat Nav fitted into a Rolls Royce and you wouldn’t believe the prat driver I had use me the other day. Instead of letting me guide him to his destination by well flowing, straight forward major routes he had me guiding him through congested town centres. His only saving grace was he did ignore my directions and went the way I would have guided him had he selected the correct options in the first place.

Conclusion: I hope he won’t be using me again any time soon.

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

LMAO :laughing:…Iv never had any problems with mine…i do farms and i always use a paper map to check best way in…i have to agree with HarryMonk i always use mine for an E.T.A and to see the road ahead in bad weather or at night

Sat nav no ta I prefer a map and road signs and that stuff called common sence that the UK stopped teaching in 1990

Imp:
Sat nav no ta I prefer a map and road signs and that stuff called common sence that the UK stopped teaching in 1990

Thats basically all a sat nav is…An electronic map that offeres a “suggested” route. Double check with the truckers atlas and use the Mk1 eyeball.

If you don’t like the look of where it “suggests” you go, then don’t go…simples. Thats called common sense :wink: :smiley:

i have to say i have the tomtom go 7000 truck and for a multi drop driver its a god send i don’t have the luxury of being able to look up my routes on a truckers atlas and could i be bothered to if i did? the answer is probably no. sorry deffinitely no! its the mutts nuts and has never let me down but you still have to remember that you are driving the truck and not the sat nav.

the old defence of " have you been drink driving sir?" and answer of " no its an automatic" will still not apply :smiley:

dogthehunter:
.i have to agree with HarryMonk i always use mine for an E.T.A and to see the road ahead in bad weather or at night

Yep, ETA’s are great. I like mine in fog to, i find i can drive fast in unfamiliar areas because i can see on the screen when the next bend is coming up.