Navigation help

Hi

I’ve been on these forums for a while but I’ve rarely ventured outside of the noob drivers section :smiley:

I’ve recently passed C, C+E and awaiting my CPC. I’m excited about getting out on my first run but I’m absolutely ■■■■■■■■ my self about planning :confused:

I’ll be getting a truckers atlas soon so I’ve got the traditional paper map as I know satnav’s can’t be solely relied on. With that said though I would like to get a satnav to help out. Preferably one that gives you information on which lanes you need to use etc. I feel that would make my life a little easier with being a new driver. It means I don’t have to panic and struggle to get across if the road signs are late or its busy etc.

I can’t really afford one of the truck specific systems as they are quite pricey. I wanted to ask what the best/most reliable type of car satnav is with a 3rd party truck UK map installed? it will be used just in the UK.

I have looked through some of the other posts but couldn’t find anything clear saying avoid these/get these etc etc.

Thanks

Type in tomtom truck on eBay there’s plenty of units already upgraded with the truck map and software at reasonable prices.
Good luck when you get realised onto our roads!

So I gather tomtom’s are a good all-rounder for lorries yeah?

I can’t wait to get out on the road. :laughing: :laughing:

The standard tomtom is as unreliable as every other car satnav but for around £150 you can get a standard unit that’s upgraded with the truck mapping and it’s pretty good.

The best things to rely on for being in the correct lane are road signs and the MK1 eyeball. If you don’t learn to use them before maps and Sat Nav you will always struggle. Read signs, plan as far ahead as you can see and it will soon start to be natural and you will be in the correct lane at the right time. Rely on a Sat Nav to tell you and you will more than likely be leaving it to the last minute and tying your self in knots.

Forget sat-nav until you get within a couple of miles, look in your map before you set off, see which junction you need or road number, then follow the road signs, you don’t need the map again until you turn off the motorway etc.

You see these families now with the little woman clutching a map trying to follow the M5 or M1 whilst trying to direct Reg her husband to a caravan camp 200 miles away.

write a plan on your hand. M1, J30 turn left, etc