Sat nav

Hi guys. I’m thinking of buying a sat nav. Does anyone else have one? What make should i buy? Can on get a truck one? I think it would help me because i can’t read a map.

Thanx dudes

You can’t read a map :open_mouth: surely a wind up :smiley:

:open_mouth:

So you can’t look at a line and a place name…

Are you sure you should be driving? :neutral_face:

A sextant and compass would help in your case driver, though in practice you may have to plan your routes on starlit nights whilst whistling ‘‘yo ho ho and bottle o’ rum’', when you eventually sail into your destination you greet thy receiving bay matelot with the time honoured greeting of ‘‘belay there ye scurvy knave’’

Just follow the piece of string the planners have conveniently laid out for you, winding it in as you go. However I’d advise you to stay clear of the Spaghetti junction interchange as many a driver has got lost with its many exits and ended up tied in knots.
Also remember when doing trailer changes, to swop string balls with the other driver as you might end up delivering to the wrong destination

happysack:
Hi guys. I’m thinking of buying a sat nav. Does anyone else have one? What make should i buy? Can on get a truck one? I think it would help me because i can’t read a map.

Thanx dudes

Funny you should say that dude, I had to take a week off work last week because mine broke…didn’t dare go out of the yard.

Somebody told me that in the olden days drivers had to go out without one, but I think that must be the type of rubbish you hear at rdc.s, because the same driver also said that there was once no such thing as planners, … :unamused: I mean, how would we know what to do, how to do it without these hard working knowledgeable guys, or where to go without a sat nav, and a planner keeping you right on the phone every five minutes. :unamused:

I would recomend the 400 quid TomTomSuperDuperTruckeRouter…, these are tremendous, you do not even need a brain when you have one of these, they do everything except steer.

I’m no fool, I bought 2 this time, 800 quid well spent…only a week and a halfs wage. Only problem is, I will have to wait a while and do a bit more work before I can afford another rack of spotlights. :cry:

Sorry Evil if you read this, the temptation was too great. :blush:

Not sure a sat nav would help you mate. Not that I’m suggesting you’re beyond help, just that a stack of timber in the middle of a forest in the middle of the arse of nowhere is unlikely to have a valid postcode.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

happysack:

Thanx dudes

Please don’t joke about this mate, just please don’t, I have to work with “drivers” like this everyday :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

I couldn’t do my job without the marine equivelent as that would mean I have to get of me arse to navigate the proper way and in this day an age I’m not prepared to put myself to so much aggrivation …

GOG47:

happysack:

Thanx dudes

Please don’t joke about this mate, just please don’t, I have to work with “drivers” like this everyday :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

I thought it was serious until I realised who had posted it. :smiley:
Reason being that there are actually numerous genuine posts like this on here. :smiley:

mick.mh2racing:
Not sure a sat nav would help you mate. Not that I’m suggesting you’re beyond help, just that a stack of timber in the middle of a forest in the middle of the arse of nowhere is unlikely to have a valid postcode.

The Middle of a forest is where a sat nav is great just put the longitude and latitude in and of you go to the exact pile of wood .

Yeah that’d work," take the next left " when there isn’t a left to take.[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

I use sat nav long and Lat every week for forestry commission land where there’s no map or address never failed yet .

Punchy Dan:

mick.mh2racing:

The Middle of a forest is where a sat nav is great just put the longitude and latitude in and of you go to the exact pile of wood .

Nah, normally you’ll get directions, they’ll usually go something like this:- turn off the tar at xyz turn in, straight on through that job we did 2years ago, you remember the one, the forwarder driver couldn’t stack for shee-ite,keep going up past where Joe Bloggs rolled into the ditch last year, take the next fork and keep going,remember we did a job in there a while ago and the road kept collapsing,and so it’ll go on,until you reach what you hope is the timber you’re meant to lift,sometimes there might be a board with a site name or even a machine operator to ask, mostly not, now try this at 4am on a winter morning in horizontal sleet. Sat Nav guided steering wheel attendants need not apply :laughing:

Seeing as I work a lone doing one off jobs iam not sure who will be giving me directions ? My work comes via email from the customers head office ,the address will mean nothing and often be all in Welsh ,the post codes can be up to 6 miles out often the wrong side of a valley or mountain ,the long and Lat is by far the best .

Punchy Dan:
Seeing as I work a lone doing one off jobs iam not sure who will be giving me directions ? My work comes via email from the customers head office ,the address will mean nothing and often be all in Welsh ,the post codes can be up to 6 miles out often the wrong side of a valley or mountain ,the long and Lat is by far the best .

Pah!..That’s nothing :unamused: , some of these guys on here actually find their way via Trucker-specific Sat nav, to both Tescos, AND Travis Perkins on a daily basis. :open_mouth:
:wink: :smiley:

My normal method is the navigator map ,the bridge height map and the box that fills the passenger foot well full of A to Z shire maps .

Punchy Dan:

Inputting the Lat/Long into a Garmin wood nav is probably beyond most drivers ability

Longitude and latitude brings you nowhere without the correct attitude!

GOG47:

happysack:

Thanx dudes

Please don’t joke about this mate, just please don’t, I have to work with “drivers” like this everyday :unamused: [emoji38] :wink:

I can believe that. Mind you i shouldn’t mock, as i struggle with public transport.