Practical test advice anyone please?

I am soon to take my C test and would appreciate advice on the following:

When passing parked vehicles, how much space is a ‘safe’ distance from it? I have asked my instructor (more than once) and always get the same answer, “Leave plenty of room”. Good advice no doubt, but how much is “plenty”?

Thanks in advance.

If a door opens will you miss it?

If you ever deliberately put yourself closer than a doors width then I would suggest that you should have waited
HOWEVER
They may be circumstances beyond your control which means getting closer so an apropriate speed will be needed

Thanks for the reply/advice, that makes sense to me.

So, on a two-way street with oncoming traffic (where a car door’s width would take me onto the crown of the road), should I wait or move forward slowly, closer to the parked cars?

Again, thanks in advance.

It’s easy. Most parked vehicles are in 30mph speed limits and you should leave at least 3 feet (or a door’s width as Rog said). So, if you can pass with 3 foot clearance at 30mph, it follows that it’s 20mph if you can only give 2 feet and right the way down to 10mph if you can only clear by 1foot.

But the major factor that is often ignored is the clearance to traffic travelling towards you. If you are doing 30 and so are they, you have a “closing speed” of 60mph. That’s one hell of a big bang!! You need 6 feet to your offside if this is the case, with the speed reducing pro rata as the clearance reduces.

Clearly, no-one’s running about with a tape measure - - but this is a really good guide.

No charge! Pete :laughing: :laughing:

So, on a two-way street with oncoming traffic (where a car door’s width would take me onto the crown of the road), should I wait or move forward slowly, closer to the parked cars?

If it’s safe, there is absolutely no reason why you cant move to the crown of the road - - or totally onto the other side of the road. Remember the dotted white line in the middle is only there to show you where the middle of the road is. Do not develop “whitelinus” (phobia of crossing white line).

Hope that helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I have asked my instructor (more than once) and always get the same answer, “Leave plenty of room”. Good advice no doubt, but how much is “plenty”?

[/quote
Yet another example of great driving instruction!! (that was sarcastic BTW) :laughing: :laughing:

Already good advice and ideas posted by Rog and Pete and here is my little bit.

I will not repeat what has already been said but there is a balance to be made when deciding to proceed past parked vehicles with oncoming traffic. The balance is between the need to make progress (and not become a hazard yourself) and undue hesitation (stopping uneccessarily or misjudging the available width).

Many oncoming cars will naturally drive further from the kerb than they need to, but a gentle persuasion from you by moving out slightly will encourage them to move to their left, creating more space for you both. This has to be done carefully and at at greatly reduced speed and gear. You will scare oncoming cars if you attack the gap at 30mph and they will instinctively stop, making it look like you bullied them with your size. However at around 10mph in 4th/5th gear once the 1st car gets through the gap the others behind will normally happily follow him through the space.

One word of caution. If the oncoming vehicle is a learner car be very careful because they do not have the experience to judge as well and their instructor might tell them to stop anyway.

This is an area that need lots of practice because every situation is different and even the same road appears different each time you go there. Overall if in doubt give way rather than make the oncoming vehicle do so.

Regards

John
Flair Training

ROG:
If you ever deliberately put yourself closer than a doors width then I would suggest that you should have waited
HOWEVER
They may be circumstances beyond your control which means getting closer so an apropriate speed will be needed

Rog, thanks for this good advice. Put in such a logical way, I now feel a bit foolish for having had to ask the question in the first place.

Alan

Peter Smythe:

I have asked my instructor (more than once) and always get the same answer, “Leave plenty of room”. Good advice no doubt, but how much is “plenty”?
[/quote
Yet another example of great driving instruction!! (that was sarcastic BTW) :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Pete and thanks for the answer and explanations, much appreciated.

I think your ‘sarcastic’ comment was well warranted, too.

In fact (I am ashamed to admit) I have just failed a practical test due to passing parked vehicles to closely. This was particularly disappointing as I finished the test thinking I would have passed (having driven exactly as I did in my pre-test lesson).
I suspect I am not the first to say this, though :slight_smile: .

At least, now I have a definitive answer - and won’t make the same mistake again.

Again, thank you
Alan

OnlyAlan:
In fact (I am ashamed to admit) I have just failed a practical test

What are you ashamed of no need to be if driving a hgv was easy no one would need training , i just failed my c+e im not ashamed just dissapointed , but am gonna try again and remember not to hit a cone in reverse box this time , when i passed my cat c i remember whilst training thinking that 30 mph was really fast and a bit scary to be honest ive had my licence 18 months and now been driving them commercially for just over a year, to be honest 30 mph feels really slow now just as it does in my car , you learn to pass the test then when you get a job and your skills improve thats when the real learning starts (oh and by the way it dont stop your always learning !!! :wink: )

Good luck with your retest you will nail it next time im sure :smiley:

jen x

OnlyAlan:

ROG:
HOWEVER

Rog, thanks for this good advice. Put in such a logical way, I now feel a bit foolish for having had to ask the question in the first place.

Alan

No such thing as a foolish question - lots of foolish answers though !!

Peter Smythe:
Remember the dotted white line in the middle is only there to show you where the middle of the road is. Do not develop “whitelinus” (phobia of crossing white line).

White lines are there for information and guidance

It’s amazing as to how many drivers treat the centre line as my side and their side and anyone who progresses safely from that is often regarded as not driving correctly. This is generally because on their car training and test they were kept safer (as a learner) by staying as far left as possible and to slow down if too close rather than use safe available road space

I often ask - where would you position if there was no white line?

Jennie:
you learn to pass the test then when you get a job and your skills improve thats when the real learning starts

That is very true.

Sorry to hear you failed mate, keep a positive attitude and nail it next time!

:laughing: :laughing: