Test thursday a couple of questions

Hi everyone,
I resit my class 2 on Thursday and although I think I’m sure I know the answers to these questiions having clarification would help. So thanks in advance.

Question 1. When approaching a roundabout and planning to take say the fourth exit how far on approach to the roundabout should I be in the righthand lane?

Question 2. when tavelling along and aproaching say some parked cars that are blocking my lane should I indicate to pass them or if I gradually pullout from far enough back would there be no need to inicate.

Thanks again for your advice.

allanwhyte77:
Hi everyone,
I resit my class 2 on Thursday and although I think I’m sure I know the answers to these questiions having clarification would help. So thanks in advance.

Question 1. When approaching a roundabout and planning to take say the fourth exit how far on approach to the roundabout should I be in the righthand lane?

Question 2. when tavelling along and aproaching say some parked cars that are blocking my lane should I indicate to pass them or if I gradually pullout from far enough back would there be no need to inicate.

Thanks again for your advice.

1 - as early as possible with out confusing other road users

2 - this is the DSA LGV test so indicate every time BUT BUT BUT make sure the signal does not cofuse another road user into thinking that you are going to do something else.

senario - row of park cars and a junction to the right.
mirrors, signal for 3 clicks only, mirrors, proceed (if safe).
or
mirrors, signal, mirrors, cannot go, mirrors, stop, keep signal on, safe to go, mirrors, start to pull out and cancel signal as you do so - otherwise it seems that you are going for the right turn :exclamation:

answer to question one and two rogs already nailed, i was taught to indicate for 3 clicks and then pull out and take up the room you need also early as possible, its so others would not mistake the indicator for a turning signal.

best of luck in retest

I will keep out of this one :astonished:

Q2, indicate when overtaking but not when pulling back in.
Thats what i was told a few months back.

Thanks for those answers they help alot. I was reading the highway code the other night and it said something like ‘an indication was not always required when overtaking especially when it may confuse other road users of your intention’. It was this that had me confused as to what I should do, I’ll stay on the safe side with the three clicks rule, I just wish my instructor had mentioned it.

i was told the same pal but think it refers to overtaking cars on wide roads. i was told always use a indicator if you will be crossing the broken white line in the middle, hope this helps

allanwhyte77:
Thanks for those answers they help alot. I was reading the highway code the other night and it said something like ‘an indication was not always required when overtaking especially when it may confuse other road users of your intention’. It was this that had me confused as to what I should do, I’ll stay on the safe side with the three clicks rule, I just wish my instructor had mentioned it.

I know ,but Icouldn’t help it. Ask your trainer for his opinion and let us know :wink:

Just remember - a signal is an ‘INTENTION’ of what you want to do.

Once you are ‘DOING IT’ then the vehicle takes over from the signal therefore making the signal of no further use - so cancel it.

So is that if two of my off side wheels cross the white lines when overtaking or all four cross the white lines I should indicate :confused:

allanwhyte77:
So is that if two of my off side wheels cross the white lines when overtaking or all four cross the white lines I should indicate :confused:

White lines have nothing to do with it - you are either moving to the right or you are not.

its when any part of the offside of the vehicle cross the white line, as rog as pointed out although i dont quite agree (no offence) its not a rule set in stone. its a catch 22 when do you indicate and when not? so this is the method i was taught to clear it up a bit. i cant see why would you have to indicate to keep to your side of the road anyway and the traffic behind would follow the flow just like with lane splits (one lane into three for example) where you just take the lane required with no indication, a signal here would be a minor ! hope you understand this.

many lads on here know far more than me and i only recently passed so cant comment too much, but these are what i was taught and it got me threw the tests first time and i think many would agree thats the main part ! thats when you really start to learn how to drive.

OK, imagine a very wide road where the left lane can accomodate parked cars and the truck without going over the white line to pass them.

If the truck if keeping to the left of the lane on the approach but needs to move over to pass the parked cars - should a signal be given :question: - YES - why :question: - because the truck is not making a minor road positioning adjustment but a major one.

hi rog,
then surely as allanwhyte77 has said

I was reading the highway code the other night and it said something like ‘an indication was not always required when overtaking especially when it may confuse other road users of your intention’.

not always is a signal requried so if thats a major you described what would be classed as a minor not requiring a signal?

not critising in any way - questioning for knowledge.

ian

bigcheese:
hi rog,
then surely as allanwhyte77 has said

I was reading the highway code the other night and it said something like ‘an indication was not always required when overtaking especially when it may confuse other road users of your intention’.

not always is a signal requried so if thats a major you described what would be classed as a minor not requiring a signal?

not critising in any way - questioning for knowledge.

ian

Both statements are correct - there, that’s confused you :wink:

Each situation has to be taken on it’s own merits - there is no hard and fast rule.

This is where the ‘THINKING’ bit of driving comes into it’s own.
On the test sheet this could come under ‘Awareness & Planning’

wouldnt that come under the bit where i said it wasnt set in stone and its only a guide to help

bigcheese:
wouldnt that come under the bit where i said it wasnt set in stone and its only a guide to help

YUP :smiley:

right, as i mentioned not critising at all just nosey

bigcheese:
right, as i mentioned not critising at all just nosey

To be honest, If it was critisism, then I should be open to it - cannot go forward without listening to constructive critisism

all i know is what ive been taught in training and on test im always open to anything new im a very questionable person i just like to know why,when,how,if, but etc just so its there for future reference.

like they say nothing ventured ,nothing gained !