Tips please

everything said by posters excellent advise , for me , when i was starting out and “bricking it whilst trying to look like an old hand” a n experienced driver told me (and its so obviously correct)if, u get yourself into any manouvre situation ,in a yard , on the public highway and you find yourself unsure" BRING THE VEHICLE TO A HALT" and if nec . get out and check ! dont matter about people looking /shouting, the damage potential with any vehicle is immense, and as a pro. driver, telling the cops “i wasn"t sure” simply convicts yourself , u are expected to be 100% SURE at all times.that"s why u passed test /were granted the licence.good luck, be steady

Hi all,

I have been driving c+e since feb 08, but not had much experience especially with awkward or tight turns and maneuvers/ tight yards even just spinning around/jack knife turns

It would be fantastic if you could post tips that you real everyday drivers know or have figured out and share them, after all, the driver training was ok but lacked totally for real everyday sort of situations, I mean the test reverse was ok but i was taught to watch for this at this point ,that at this point etc ok for test but not much use when you get to joe bloggs yard and youre left thinking how the F****** is that going to go in here! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused:

the only thing ive picked up so far was a tnt driver told me that if you are on full lock and you need a little more space , reverse a bit with the opposite lock and you will gain a load ,ore room in the turn, and i must admit this seems to work a treat … its this type of knowledge that really lacks from the training, well at least with my training anyway, all seemed geared to just passing the test!

Any help with tips on tight situations general road positioning for turns etc etc would be great and perhaps posted for all new drivers

Many thanks to anyone who responds

Mac

When lining yourself up to reverse, gauge how much room you need - - then add at least 50%!! The more room you’ve got, the better. Of course there’s hundreds of occasions when this wont work. Always get someone to watch you and if that cant happen get out and check as many times as you need to. There’s a lot less shame in that than having to report the damage.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

One quickie - if you’re doing a jack-knife turn (and try to avoid them - it chews up tarmac and scrubs trailer tyres) watch you don’t catch your airlines on the corner of the trailer. If you straighten up and drive off - you can pop your airline, and then everyone will know what you did because if it’s the red one you’ll be stuck :slight_smile:
And no - I haven’t done it, but I did see it in the middle of a factory yard once.

:bulb:Forward planning your route -the final 20 yards…

Sometimes it’s best to do a figure of ‘8’ in a confined yard , in order to get the R send of the trailer as near to the bay or unloading area as possible before you start your final reverse.

If the yard looks tight, if at all possible stop outside the gate, get out and go and have a look on foot, taking your delivery notes with you to ask someone inside “is this the correct address for…” and then scan the yard for obstructions, stacks of pallets, overhanging pipes, etc :wink:

Many a time it will be far easier to reverse in to a yard than reverse out, especially from a busy road.

If a forklift driver tells you “we’ve had bigger wagons than that in here…”

don’t believe 'em. :laughing:

When you planning you’re reverse look at the floor for where the tire marks are and try to copy the also look at the walls gate posts etc for paint scuffs but try and avoid those.

Hi all,

Some great tips thanks

Deesider, whats a figure 8, i mean i get the 8 but not sure how you mean to use it? Sorry to appear thick :blush:

mac1328:
Hi all,

Some great tips thanks

Deesider, whats a figure 8, i mean i get the 8 but not sure how you mean to use it? Sorry to appear thick :blush:

:slight_smile: imagine the figure 8 is a delivery yard with the gate where you enter at the bottom left, and the loading bay which you need to reverse up to is at the top left (facing you).
The yard doesn’t look wide enough to go right, stop and then blind side reverse round to the bay. So instead, I would follow the figure 8, snaking from bottom left to top right, then turning anticlockwise past the front of the bay and head back to the gate where I came in. Stop, then an easy straight(ish) reverse to the loading dock.

Cheers deesider, i’ll try that if it comes up, it will somewhere i’m sure

Many Thanks

mac