Points on licence

Hiya everybody.

I’m a new Class2 driver and this site is excellent. I have’nt been able to contribute anything so far but will try to in future as I get into the driving ambition.

Currently driving for an agency.

I had an encounter with a speed camera on the M1 J6 the other night and set it off. I have six already and don’t want any more points (should have slowed down !) Anyway I have three points coming off at the end of November so it’s not so bad. Anyone got any ideas how to plead to the magistrates ?

Is it possible to pay a bigger fine and get to endorsement ? Is it possible to avoid the points by claiming financial hardship if endorsed further ?

I am currently looking throught the stuff sent by “yorkie*queen” and it looks useful.

Anyone got helpful suggestions ? Had similar experiences ? Been able to avoid the points on licence ?

Thanks
Malc7

Welcome to Trucknet Malc7. Sorry to have to tell you but its a fixed penalty £60 and 3 points, non-negotiable. If you contest it through a court you are likely to be awarded a greater penalty if you are fined guilty, sad to say its sometimes better to put up and shut up, unless you are confident you have a water tight case.

Good luck with the agency driving. :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome to TruckNet UK Malc7 :smiley:

1ST OF ALL WELCOME TO TRUCKNETUK
2nd,A wee bit less on the gas will prevent you getting point’s ( you lose in this game the more points you get) :laughing:
3rd You should get it through the post within a fortnight( i’m sure Krankee will confirm or deny this) if it doesn’t then you can contest it.
4th if it does arrive in that time then sorry m8 you ain’t got no choice but to pay towards the policeman’s ball this christmas. :laughing: :laughing:

CM:
Welcome to Trucknet Malc7. Sorry to have to tell you but its a fixed penalty £60 and 3 points, non-negotiable. If you contest it through a court you are likely to be awarded a greater penalty if you are fined guilty, sad to say its sometimes better to put up and shut up, unless you are confident you have a water tight case.

Good luck with the agency driving. :laughing: :laughing:

Agreed. Just take them and put it done to experience. They will hike it up if you contest it or try to negotiate a lower penalty (points or fine) to the point where you’ll wish you stayed quiet. I had 9 points on my licence at one point and didn’t have any problems getting work or full time employment but be advised there are many companies out there that stipulate 6 points max (and no DD’s or DR’s of course).

Hi Malc7 welcome to trucknet, sadly I can’t add much to what has already been said, just take the points and learn from the experience and put your right foot on a diet. :wink:

Thanks for the info guys. I’ll just wait and take it on the chin.

Unless the damned thing had no film - but I suppose that the J6 M1 one will have digital facilites!!!

Any ideas on how it will work for me ? I take it that the firm I drove for will get the summons after 14 days and will pass it on to me or the agency ?

You won’t get a summons. Your employer will get a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) asking for the name of the driver, but will pass it on to you to fill in and send off then you’ll be fined £60 and receive 3 points on your licence as an SP10 (exceeding goods vehicle speed limit) fixed penalty.

Thanks Rob

Would I get an SP50 for a motorway limit ?

Malc

malc7:
Thanks Rob

Would I get an SP50 for a motorway limit ?

Malc

Not if you were driving a goods vehicle. Doesn’t matter what sort of road you’re on, if you’re driving a goods vehicle over the speed limit it should be an SP10 (used to be SP40 a good few years ago, but this is now for PCV’s). It won’t make any difference whether it’s an SP10 or SP50 anyway.

with a speed camera on the M1 J6 the other night and set it off

Dont know the stretch of road, are there road works or something? As you should have a limiter set at 85kmh (56mph)?

NB. I thnk they’re all digital these days, it’s cheaper than loading the with film.

dennisw1:

with a speed camera on the M1 J6 the other night and set it off

Dont know the stretch of road, are there road works or something? As you should have a limiter set at 85kmh (56mph)?

NB. I thnk they’re all digital these days, it’s cheaper than loading the with film.

I’ve not been down that way for a while but it’s usually a 40mph or 50mph limit if there are roadworks so going through on the limiter would set them off. The plod take a dim view of speeding through roadworks as there have been inifnite deaths of the road workers by speeding vehicles. Granted, you never see a worker there whenever you go through the 5 mile stretch of cones, but by the plod’s book, that’s beside the point :unamused: .

i have just passed class 1 and was told about being on probation for 2 years…

6 points on licence with in the two years and you loose it

doesnt matter if you got them in your car bike or truck and you have had that entitlement for years

you loose everything

but i dont know what the score is if you got points before getting a new entitlement perhaps someone knows that …

them cameras are a pain but i supose it comes down to safety in the end

Once upon a time (back in the 80’s), if you got to 6 points, you got a letter from the TC stating that anymore and you would be up before the TC to explain your ability to hold a “vocational licence”.
I remember how difficult it was for me to even get a licence!! I got done for DD in 1975 (18 months ban cos I was a cocky git in court) and when I applied for a licence in '80, I had to go to my Doctor and get a letter stating I never had a dependency on alcohol!!! Then they made me wait another 6 months before granting me a provisional. We are not talking seriously over the limit here either!! Only just over.
Needless to say, from that day on, I have NEVER drank and drove… even to the point that if I am driving the next day, I won’t touch alcohol.

zorg:
i have just passed class 1 and was told about being on probation for 2 years…

6 points on licence with in the two years and you loose it

doesnt matter if you got them in your car bike or truck and you have had that entitlement for years

you loose everything

but i dont know what the score is if you got points before getting a new entitlement perhaps someone knows that …

them cameras are a pain but i supose it comes down to safety in the end

Quoted from DVLA leaflet INS57P
The Road Traffic Act (new Drivers) 1995
This act will affect you if you first passed a driving test on or after June 1 1997. If you reach 6 or more penalty points within two years of passing that that test (the probationary period) DVLA will automatically revoke your licence…

Notice it says “first passed a driving test” this only relates to the first time you passed a driving test. As you have to do a car test, Class 2 and Class 1 test to gain C+E entitlement the first time you passed a driving test was in the car.
So unless you have taken your Car and both lorry tests all within two years of each other the probabtionary period wont affect you. The two years only runs up until 2 years after your car test pass.