POA ?

Hi guys hope you are well.m a new driver…last time I did my shift after 2:45 driving I switched to poa for 2hours after that I started driving when I checked driving time on tacho it showed 22mins.why is that what about those 2hours 45mins where did they go.i mean I didn’t switched to break/rest mode and poa doesn’t count towards rest/break…■■?

========================================

I’ve split this topic from the old topic that you’d attached it to because the answers will be different now. dd. :wink:

fella4lyf:
Hi guys hope you are well.m a new driver…last time I did my shift after 2:45 driving I switched to poa for 2hours after that I started driving when I checked driving time on tacho it showed 22mins.why is that what about those 2hours 45mins where did they go.i mean I didn’t switched to break/rest mode and poa doesn’t count towards rest/break…■■?

========================================

I’ve split this topic from the old topic that you’d attached it to because the answers will be different now. dd. :wink:

The digital tachograph wrongly resets the driving time on the tachograph display after 45 minutes of POA or a mixture of POA and break totalling 45 minutes, however as you know legally your driving time is not reset until you’ve accumulated 45 minutes break.

If you’re going to use POA be careful, this has caught a few people out :wink:

Poa must be notified in advance .I’ve been studying accops and they claim to have found out every single transport company deliberately ignores health and safety regulations with union blessing knowing this is a criminal offence .the wholesale murder of drivers must end.

If I’m put on standby then they tell me to count it as POA, even though I don’t know if/when I’ll get a call saying they have a job for me. Being on standby sounds exactly like a period when I’ve been called in to be available, i.e. a “period of availability”, but I’ve often wondered about the technicality of not actually knowing in advance how long it is going to be.

ORC:
If I’m put on standby then they tell me to count it as POA, even though I don’t know if/when I’ll get a call saying they have a job for me. Being on standby sounds exactly like a period when I’ve been called in to be available, i.e. a “period of availability”, but I’ve often wondered about the technicality of not actually knowing in advance how long it is going to be.

the rules state “the duration must be know about in advance”, but what it doesn’t say is the exact duration must be know, so just being told its going to be a while is good enough.

ORC:

In reality I doubt it makes much difference whether you know the duration of the POA or not, however as you said you’ve wondered about the “technicality of not actually knowing in advance how long it is going to be” I’d say you cannot legally book it as POA if you have no idea how long you’ll be on standby or even if you’ll get a job at-all.

The regulations say you should know about the POA in advance and it’s “reasonably foreseeable duration”, I can’t imagine that many people would regard “sometime today … maybe” as being the “reasonably foreseeable duration” of waiting time.

Periods of availability
:
A period shall not be treated as a period of availability unless the mobile worker knows before the start of the relevant period
about that period of availability and its reasonably foreseeable duration