POA Reset

I’m just looking for confirmation that I’m right in my thinking here…

The other day I drove for 2 1/2 hours interupted by a 20 minute break. I then went on POA for 3 hours (thats Tesco for you). Knowing that the digi tacho would reset the driving time to zero, I made a note of the 2 1/2 hours drving time and continued to drive for another 2 hours before taking a 30 minute break.

As the POA had already reset the tacho to zero, the 30 minute break obviously didn’t (as it would normally do without the POA). So I then continued to drive (in a new 4 1/2 block) and as I approached the 4 1/2 hours on the tacho, I’m getting the flashing reminder for a break, even though I was actually only 2 1/2 hours into the new driving period.

I finished the shift with 5 1/2 hours showing on the tacho although in total I’d driven 8 hours with a split break of 20 mins at 2 1/2 hours and 30 mins at 4 and 1/2 hours.

As I understand it, this is perfectly legal. It’s just a bit unnerving when you see 5 1/2 hours on the display and flashing light every time you start the engine. Am I right :question:

Yes you are correct so relax and enjoy the mild November weather :wink:

As you obviously know 45 minutes of POA will incorrectly reset your driving time on the tachograph but has no legal impact on your actual driving time, you did exactly what you were supposed to do and kept a record of your driving time and worked to that, nice one :wink:

By the way I assume you didn’t literally drive up-to the 4 1/2 hours driving time and if you did hopefully you was careful not to exceed the 4 1/2 hours.

Thanks for the confirmation Tachograph. You’d think in this modern age that they’d have designed the tacho with the ability to differentiate break and POA. Then again, why do we need POA anyway. Driving time was less than 4 1/2 by the way, more like 4 hr 15 min.

MAT:
Thanks for the confirmation Tachograph. You’d think in this modern age that they’d have designed the tacho with the ability to differentiate break and POA. Then again, why do we need POA anyway. Driving time was less than 4 1/2 by the way, more like 4 hr 15 min.

I agree, some people feel that the tachograph software was designed to take into consideration the AETR regulations but I’m not convinced, I think the introduction of the digital tachograph was rushed through even though it was known that there would be further changes to the regulations over the following couple of years.

MAT:
I then went on POA for 3 hours (thats Tesco for you).

What would happen if you told Tesco that you did not know how long it would be so used break for 3 hours?

This is one of those situations where using POA could have been useful, if Mat had used break instead of POA he would have needed to have another 45 minute break instead of the 30 minutes he took, therefore getting finished 15 minutes later.

I’m not saying that break wouldn’t have been a good idea in this case if it’s allowed, but it does show that POA can have it’s uses.