Age old Pao question

right…

if i drive for say 3h30m and i arrive at destination, and am told to wait in my truck for an hour with out moving untill a loading bay is free

and i put my tacho on POA…for the full hour, does this poa count towards my 45 min break? there for when i move off again, i get a full 4h30 mins of driving time?

if so can you also do the 15/30 mins poa break split?

No

POA is just that.

it only counts as break or the 1st 45 min when multi manned and is in slot 2

As nick2008 said.It does’nt reset your driving time.So be aware.

then why does it reset the driving time on the tacho?

never really used it, but the other day i was thinking, ill give it a try as i had to wait whilst they cleared up a spillage, put it on poa was on it for an hour, as i moved off it had reset the driving time to 0:00

so i thought, ah, must be counted towards it

this was thursday.

friday downloaded my card and had a infrigment of driving for 7 hours with out a break :open_mouth:

think ill stick to useing the break button now, and hope i dont get pulled over for the next few months!

SIGH!!!

Quick, do a printout with “wrong mode selected” written on the rear and then just hope that your prison sentence is a short one :wink:

my card is due for renewal next month anyway!

new card of freshness! phew! :stuck_out_tongue:

roger red hat:
then why does it reset the driving time on the tacho?

Because Siemens are idiots.

I found another ■■■■ up by them not so long back. I started work but didn’t have a truck straight away so I sat on break for half an hour. When I did my manual entries I put the half hour break in and it showed up as a driving break. Even though I hadn’t done any driving. I had a 35 minute break at my first drop and, you guessed it, it reset my driving time. Had to spend the rest of the day being careful not to go over 4.5 hours driving without taking sufficient breaks.

asked many times.
There are some member states that do accept POA as break apparently, the tacho will clear the driving time because it’s been set up to do it, it isn’t a fault with the tacho head.

weeto:
asked many times.
There are some member states that do accept POA as break apparently, the tacho will clear the driving time because it’s been set up to do it, it isn’t a fault with the tacho head.

not true! OUR POA SYMBOL IS their break! That’s all it is, ours should have been thought out too so when you commute to bunk or home to bed, you put it on BED! :grimacing:

Fatboy slimslow:

weeto:
asked many times.

not true! OUR POA SYMBOL IS their break! That’s all it is, ours should have been thought out too so when you commute to bunk or home to bed, you put it on BED! :grimacing:

sorry mate just checked the regulations from the e.u. parliament and the square box with the line through is the same across Europe for POA.

check it out if you don’t believe me its on page 12…

hgvcity.com/Regulations/Publ … ations.pdf

wildfire:

Fatboy slimslow:

sorry mate just checked the regulations from the e.u. parliament and the square box with the line through is the same across Europe for POA.

This ^^^

Article 13 - (EEC) No 3821/85 shows what mode should be used for break and it’s the bed symbol.

roger red hat:
right…

if i drive for say 3h30m and i arrive at destination, and am told to wait in my truck for an hour with out moving untill a loading bay is free

and i put my tacho on POA…for the full hour, does this poa count towards my 45 min break? there for when i move off again, i get a full 4h30 mins of driving time?

if so can you also do the 15/30 mins poa break split?

Just stick it on break, POA is no longer used unless you are not paid breaks :wink:

When the specification for the digital tachograph was finalised it was before the decision had been made as to how POA was to be regarded. Subsequently it was decided that POA would not count as break and therefore reset driving time. The digital tacho legislation had been set by that time so couldn’t be changed.

The rest+POA reset can be a PITA,

run I was on last week was 1hr50, 1hr waiting to be let under the trailer (inc 15 on break then set to OW), 30mins hooked up waiting for them to put the last of the stuff on, trailer shuffle then 1hr5 back to base for a 30 break, down to J35, trailer swap, back to base. Driver the week before got caught out by the reset issue and ended up doing a 45, 15 minutes from base.

Surely Seimens etc., should have sorted this by now.

chicane:
Surely Seimens etc., should have sorted this by now.

It’s not down to the tachograph manufacturers it’s down to the way various regulations are written.

(EEC) No 3821/85 which governs tachograph specifications says that continuous driving time is the accumulated driving time since the last 45 minutes of availability/break or rest.

Is it correct that some EU states accept POA as break? I have heard that some do as it is in the regulations, and tachos have been set up that way.

roger red hat:

Why? Its not counted for the DECADE it has been in force. Are you seriously telling me you still don’t know how PoA works when its been in place for 10 years now?

Conor:

roger red hat:

Why? Its not counted for the DECADE it has been in force. Are you seriously telling me you still don’t know how PoA works when its been in place for 10 years now?

Yes, POA has been in 10 years, and I still haven’t found a use for it, and I don’t know how other drivers do! break is good enough for me, cant get into trouble using breaks either.

weeto:
Is it correct that some EU states accept POA as break? I have heard that some do as it is in the regulations, and tachos have been set up that way.

I don’t know what they do in Europe but I do know that article 7 - (EC) No 561/2006 says that after 4½ hours driving a driver shall take a break, it doesn’t say take a period of availability it says break, and article 15 - (EEC) No 3821/85 says that a driver should use the bed symbol to record breaks and rest periods

I don’t know how anyone else reads that but to me it means that anyone who uses the POA symbol to record a break is not complying with the regulations.

tachograph:

weeto:

I don’t know what they do in Europe but I do know that article 7 - (EC) No 561/2006 says that after 4½ hours driving a driver shall take a break, it doesn’t say take a period of availability it says break, and article 15 - (EEC) No 3821/85 says that a driver should use the bed symbol to record breaks and rest periods

I don’t know how anyone else reads that but to me it means that anyone who uses the POA symbol to record a break is not complying with the regulations.

Yes it says take a break, but some may accept POA as being on break, or there would have been no reason for the regs to spec the digi tacho to clear driving time on Break and POA.
I suppose its all down to how individual states interpretate the regulations to compile there set of tachograph rules, with vosa deciding to not include POA as a break.