Another Digi Tacho (sorry)

I hope this is in the right place,

Just done first week digital think im getting there but i have noticed that if i have had over 45mins (also 15 , 30) on POA it resets my driving time to 0, I’m confused because i did not think POA counted as break in driving hours.

Hope that makes sense? Also its annyoing me because i have to go into the print menu to find out my driving hours for day which nether seem to match my stopwatch :smiley:

I think that’s because the first 45 mins of POA is generally taken to be a break by VOSA, although I’m standing by to be shot down by Coffeeholic , Tachograph or anyone else for that matter.

…crawls off to hide from Neil & co. :laughing:

I noticed the same “problem” when I was using a digi tacho. I’d be interested tio know what the official view is on this.

danny_mk2:
I hope this is in the right place,

It wasn’t. :wink:

When you say your driving time resets to zero, I presume you are referring to an ancillary device such as Dynafleet, or a dashboard display? Whatever the visual display tells you, what really matters is what appears on your card. If in doubt, take print outs during the day. :wink:

Essentially, the display will operate according to which version of the driver software has been installed. There are (I think) moves to count the first 45 mins (15/30) of a P.O.A. as Break. Partly necessary because the second card position will not record a break whilst the vehicle is in motion.

Although this might sound sensible, I do a couple of runs where, after driving just under an hour, I have to wait another hour or so to get loaded. I then have a long run where, if traffic is bad, it will take me over the 4.5 hours, and not by just a bit. :open_mouth:

The easy way was to put the vehicle on Break for 20 mins and then revert to POA. (Even though I wasn’t actually doing anything different - which makes a mockery of the concept in its entirety, but that is a different subject. :laughing: ) That done, if I couldn’t reach my destination with the 4.5 hours total, I then only needed to take a 30 minute Break. One could argue that if I had taken a full 45 mins as Break when loading, then I could have reached my destination within the 4.5 hours but, as the final leg, which could be anything between 1 hour and 2 1/2 hours, with absolutely nowhere to pull off and stop, is so indeterminate, then I’m quite happy to stop where I know I can stop, when necessary.

Consequently, as a result of the software, I now need to switch to OW for a couple of minutes every so often, in order prevent the display registering that I have taken a full Break. Which I may well have done, but not wished the event to be recorded as such.

Madness or what? :smiling_imp:

Shrek:
I think that’s because the first 45 mins of POA is generally taken to be a break by VOSA, although I’m standing by to be shot down by Coffeeholic , Tachograph or anyone else for that matter.

…crawls off to hide from Neil & co. :laughing:

As far as I know the first 45 minutes of POA is regarded as break only for the co-driver whilst multi-manning, unless you know of some change to the regulations :wink:

Its the driving time on the stonebridge digital tacho display that is resetting my driving hours to zero whilst on POA so i assume its all legit , It confused me to start with as i knew i had recorded no break but then realized it was the POA that was doing it.

Print outs are not throwing any erros either, As for driving time i continue to use a stopwatch and when im getting close to my hours go into the print menu to display what the tacho has clocked up (usually different)

Cheers

Danny

All digital tachos regardless of manufacturer wrongly count POA as break and will reset the driving timer to begin an new period of 4.5 hours if you take 45 minutes of POA, either in one lump or in two or three periods, which is another thing they do wrong as three periods of break are no longer allowed. They will also count 3x15 minutes of break and reset the timer as they will periods of say 20 minutes and 25 minutes, or any other combination that adds up to 45 minutes, with no period shorter than 15 minutes, which hasn’t been legal for nearly a year now.

This is because the specification for the digi tachos was settled on long before the rules on POA and break were, and even longer before last years rule changes. The only thing you can do is either don’t use POA, it and break are virtually the same thing anyway and if a period qualifies as POA it will qualify as break, or keep a note of the break periods you have and work out when the driving time resets that way. Don’t rely on what the digi tacho is telling you

Krankee:
There are (I think) moves to count the first 45 mins (15/30) of a P.O.A. as Break. Partly necessary because the second card position will not record a break whilst the vehicle is in motion.

That is already in place with VOSA stating they will assume the first 45 minutes of POA is break for the second driver in a double manning situation. This does not apply to single manned operations and although POA and break are virtually the same thing, for a period to be counted as break the mode switch must be set accordingly. If teh mode switch is left on availability it will not count as break and analysis will report an infringement.

Shrek:

Brace your self, only for the driver with his card in slot 2 in double manning operations.

Lock ‘n’ load - PULL!. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Cheers Coffeeholic thats cleared it up for me, I cant believe how many flaws a digi tacho has though :open_mouth: Shame really

danny_mk2:
Cheers Coffeeholic thats cleared it up for me, I cant believe how many flaws a digi tacho has though :open_mouth: Shame really

I am getting the hang of them slowly by listening and not spouting, but do agree that they are flawed. It cannot be a true record if they have so many foibles.

But having said that, when I tell my exploitant enough is enough, I have proof :smiley:

Wheel Nut:

danny_mk2:

I am getting the hang of them slowly by listening and not spouting, but do agree that they are flawed. It cannot be a true record if they have so many foibles.

What is shown on the display and what is recorded in the unit, card, or printout are not the same. The display isn’t a record while the other three are.

Coffeeholic:

Shrek:

Brace your self, only for the driver with his card in slot 2 in double manning operations.

Lock ‘n’ load - PULL!. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

MEDIC!!! :lol: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

tachograph:
unless you know of some change to the regulations :wink:

As above…I don’t! :laughing: