PCV

Passed my C and C+E last year without too many problems.
Struggling a bit with my PCV training,finding the steering a bit too quick for me and tail end swings very fast.
Clipped 4 kerbs on 1st day,2 on 2nd day and 3 yesterday.
Think I’m driving it too much like an artic,i.e. steering too early.
Anybody else had problems going from trucks to bus,any suggestions?

When I was regularly driver training it was not uncommon for students to experience the same problems that you are. A bus/coach/PCV is often built to the maximum allowed size with regard to a rigid vehicle, couple that with the unique design features of the steering axle set back behind you and the door, and the relatively large rear overhang/tailswing, and you have a vehicle with quite different handling characteristsics.

Hopefully your instructor has identifyed the C+E link and should be taking you through a differing approach to this cat D training.

Certainly, a lot of steering manouevres need to be quite ‘late’ into the turn/junction but i’d say that this also applies to driving a C+E so I don’t see how you’re “steering too early” (like in your C+E).

The best answer is most likely to be ‘more practise, less butty-stops’ but trying to convince your instructor will be another matter!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink:

Passed my test on Thursday afternoon,with 8 minors.
Not a great drive,but good enough for the examiner.
Only day I didn’t clip a kerb. :astonished:

gsm31:

Good news, well done!!! :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Nice one, congratulations. :smiley:

well done…pleased for ya

Well done mate! :smiley:

Nice one mate, I did the reverse a few years ago, ditched buses and went for LGV
Good luck for the future

Excellent - well done - which coach companies you going to try and get work with ?

Regarding GTG - it was glasgow that you did some training with? - they don’t just do lgv and pcv, they do a whole load of training courses that right? do they have catering facilities ie canteen ?

Kenny

gsm31:

Thanks for all the messages,everybody.
Kenny,GTG do HI-AB/ADR and loads of other courses.
They are going to be moving to new premises in the next few months(near S.E.C.C. I think).They have a canteen,they’re located next to Hampden Park stadium.
gtg.co.uk
I’ve not decided on what coach company to try for yet,will ask around and see which ones have the best reputation.
Only intend doing it part time at w/ends for the moment.
How’s your training going?