Considering my LGV

Hi all. I’m new to the forums and just want general advice really.

I am considering taking my class C, then on to the class C+E as truck driving is something I have always wanted to do.

I have 14 years experience as a PCV driver so I reckon I won’t need that much practice (For the C anyway!) And I have many thousands of hours sat in the driving seat doing service work and running coaches up and down the M1.

The advice I need initially is can anyone recommend a decent training school near to Barnsley where I live, will I need to pay for the provisional C licence, and any other advice anyone can offer will be of great help.

I feel as though I am now in a rut with my current job and need to get out ASAP and lorry driving I think is definetly for me.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Paul

I feel as though I am now in a rut with my current job and need to get out ASAP and lorry driving I think is definetly for me.

You certainly get a bit more variety on HGV rather than PCV, something that appealed to me. If you get stuck in a rut here, you could change from multidrop to tippers etc and although it is still driving, your days would be completely different.

There are a lot of useful people here on TNUK and you should find plenty of help and assistance. Best of luck

Thanks for that 8wheels.

I am sure it will be far better than PCV driving, the problem is i made the huge mistake of leaving bus driving and joining south yorks police as a civilian worker!

If only I’d known just how unhappy I would be a year later i’d have stayed doing the local school buses, and believe me, they were a bloody nightmare!

So for sure I’ll be joining the ranks soon enough, cos if i don’t i think i’ll lose my mind.

Cheers

Although I can’t help with any driving schools in your area, I can say…

Been there, done that and got the T-shirt!!!

I had 6 years PCV driving before I went for my LGV and I agree, there is more variety. (and it is nice not to have the load answering back :laughing: :laughing: )

If you are prepared to travel for your course and stay in a B&B for a week, these might be worth a look

www.qualitastraining.co.uk

They used to offer a large discount for PCV drivers on the C licence (rigid)
it saved me about 25% on the cost of a course!!!

I think it was paul b on this forum who did
his training with euro mark at barnsley
(01226) 243982 I have seen them pulling
a truswell haulage trailer so they might be
part of the same company so could be work
there. E.Pawson near junction 1 of the m18 are
doing training now and the have took new drivers
on in the past (01709) 813901.

it is nice not to have the load answering back

Maybe not, but if you’re not careful it could bite back.

Thanks for all the replies. I will make a few enquiries regarding training over the next few days while I am off work.

I still have to crack on and apply for my provisional yet, thats a task for Wednesday I think. I am really looking forward to getting hold of that licence and hitting the road once again and, as long as I don’t spend too much time away from the wife and kids I reckon i will be happy with the job.

Will keep you all posted on my progress over the next few weeks or so.

will I need to pay for the provisional C licence,

No it’s free but if you havent done a medical in the past year you might have to take another one. Ask the DVLA though, they’re pretty good in the vocational section.
It maybe you wont need a medical as you’ve got your PCV.

Paul, try these I did both C and C+E with them.

L&T Transport,
Priory Business Park,
Wentworth Terrace,
Fitzwilliam,
Pontifract WF9 5BZ

Not to far from you and they will arrange everything, medical etc.

Just been on the L+T website. Looks a decent outfit.

If I get time at work tomorrow I’ll give them a quick call to discuss training.

Thanks to all who have replied, its been a great help.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum. I don’t know of any but I’m sure that some other members can surely help you out. I have checked the L + T website and I think that they are very serious.

Hope you get a good result from your search for a good training school.
One word of advice is - Most schools now ofer a small discount if you book your c then C + E in one hit. I would say just go for the C licence and get some experience driving rigids to see if you like the job before plunging in at the deep end and paying out for both courses.
Trucking isnt for everyone and you may find you would prefer to stick with coaches after giving it a go.
That way you will gain some experience and have more chance of getting work and also put a toe into the trucking waters to see if you enjoy it.
Good Luck anyway.

I have been in touch with the guys at L+T training. The bloke I spoke with was very helpful.

I will have to have a medical, I thought maybe I could get away with it with already holding my PCV with 7 years to run…but then, my last medical was in 1991…so I can’t complain!!!

Next step then, have the medical, get the provisional, hopefully pass the C class ASAP and that’s me back to a driving job!

Thanks for all your postings and help.

Cheers

If you decide to go with L&T they will arange a medical at a very reasonable price. I got my doctor to do it and it cost £110. L&T’s doctor cost about a third of that.

Yeah the guy I spoke with said they did the medical. They even do them on a Saturday which is good.

I think I’ll go through on Friday this week and have a look at the set-up they have got, if it looks ok I might as well book with them as its not too far from where I live.

Let us know what you think.

Although it costs nothing to ‘ask’ your own doctor. At the end of the day it’s about 10 min of their time and is just beer money. It you’re doc is a decent guy (or girl) they might do it for £20 or something.

Been to see the L+T set up today and I have to say it looks pretty well organised.

I noticed at least one 55 plate Merc rigid parked up and they have a decent area for reversing practice. The guy I spoke to ( I assume he was the owner) Seemed friendly enough and was willing to discuss my options, he suggested I attended for a medical Saturday morning at 7.30am, pity I can’t make it.

I’ll probably attend next Saturday though, but then, as Dennis ponts out, I think I’ll ask my own doctor first as he seems ok enough.

As for the actual training, I think L+T will be the one for me as its only 7 miles from where I live and it looks a decent set up. I’ll post again soon and let you all know how I get on.

paul261267:
I’ll probably attend next Saturday though, but then, as Dennis ponts out, I think I’ll ask my own doctor first as he seems ok enough.

or try THIS from the useful links forum

I also did both my tests with L+T and they were top notch a very good outfit