PCV Advice

Hi Everyone

Little bit about myself.

Had a go at class 2 a couple of years ago but struggled with it. In all honesty i had the nagging thought at the back of my head that even if i passed i wouldn’t want to do this as a job. Strangely i had no problem going fast was so easy to handle but when slowing right down that’s when it became more of a struggle.

Now a few years on i do a bit of voluntary work driving a minibus and have been revisting the idea of driving large vehicles again this time thinking about PCV. Now, i have no interest in working as a bus/coach driver at least not in a commercial setting. It’s mainly to be able to get the experience of driving something bigger and the potential to work in a non-commmercial environment (i don’t know what the rules are with regards CPC if driving a midibus for a charity would still class me as a pfroffesional driver and therefore would need CPC?).

What i am really asking is whether buses are easier to drive than LGV’s? If not then i don’t think i should bother trying again seeing as i have failed once already.

I ask because i have sat on a number of buses and seen how easy they weave through congested areas with inches to spare often without even going that slow.

Does the fact you sit closer to the ground / only two axels / being able to see out of the door the kerb / etc… make a difference.

I remember my instructor banging on about slowing right down when coming to junctions, roundabouts and especially obstacles.

Anyway i would appreicate any advice before i finally give up on the idea.

Thanks.

Buses and/or trucks do not “weave easily through traffic wuth inches to spare”. They are driven through. Good experienced drivers may make it look like that though.
Is it for you?
Invest in an assessment drive with a good school maybe?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I dunno only driven a lorry but both are wide long vehicles so they’re going to behave in some similar ways.

Buses I’ve seen have the driver well forward of the front axle, that must make taking turns a little different. Also bus mirrors seem tiny and few compared to what I’ve noticed on lorries.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

As an ex bus driver, here is my thoughts.

With regard to the weave through looking easier, you have probably driven that road several times a day, week, month. You generally know within reason how much room you have, usually where cars will be parked etc.

I would say rigids/buses are similar in the actual driving aspect, if anything I would say the buses are actually slightly more difficult. Larger rear overhang being the main one.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I did my Class 2 before my PCV and found it easy enough because I was already used to the size of the vehicle.

Emily, yes you will need your CPC for driving charity minibuses, have done the same job myself. I found driving class 2 easier than driving pcv due to less of an overhang and the higher driving position. As said above, driving buses every day get’s you used to the size of the vehicle and where you can get them with regards parked cars, tight corners etc. The more you drive them the smaller they feel and the easier they become to drive…and then there’s artics :smiley: and the joys of reversing them onto a bay in a yard a smart car driver would think twice about

Thanks for the advice. Looks like it might not be an easier option as i had hoped. It was just a thought as to whether worth giving it a go or not. Maybe not worth it.

Rat67:
Emily, yes you will need your CPC for driving charity minibuses,

Driver cpc not needed for that as is it is not a commercial operation where the driver is not gaining and the passengers are not paying for it

Why not give it another go thing have changed a little you will be able to do in an auto now ( not sure if could when you tried ) also you have some experience driving a mini bus it is just a little bigger

I drive a class 1 not that tall a female & manage it does take time & practice

Pick a good company go visit ask if you can have a test / assessment drive if done before you could still have entitlement on licence I say go for it

ROG:

Rat67:
Emily, yes you will need your CPC for driving charity minibuses,

Driver cpc not needed for that as is it is not a commercial operation where the driver is not gaining and the passengers are not paying for it

Thanks Rog, not driven a community transport minibus for over five years but there was talk at the time of us drivers needing cpc, seems they must have decided against it.