New forum member / question has probably been asked before

Hello all,

After a long and varied career doing “other things” - I have decided to embark on LGV and PCV C + E training.

I started out by making a few enquiries and reading up on “How to become a driver” - including posts on this forum.

So far i have :

Done my medical.
Applied for my provisional C D and E and recieved it.
Studied for and booked my Theory test and Hazard perception test.

This is where i started to become unstuck, as i didn’t appear to be able to book the "Module 2 " training, or even work out if I needed to do it or not.
The whole thought process behind this training appears to be to confuse and bewilder !

In any case, I finally enquired with CPCRE@dvsa.gov.uk (who it turns out, are actualy Pearson testing staff) and they have sent through an “entitlement” check for me.

So I have 2 exams (Theory and Hazard perception) on 25th August, and once i find out if i can book it, I then fo the module 2 “Case studies” test.

My understanding is that once i have completed all of that i then need to take practical drivers training.
I was going to do this at the Truck Driving School in Swindon (I live near Oxford) - can anyone vouch for them , or anywhere else near Oxford ?

I just want to get the best possible training - although i have a background in Farming so have reversed a fair few farm tractors & trailers , driven artics around a yard and up a private road, and also driven combine harvesters, so i am less worried about this. I’m also currently driving a sixteen seater bus as a (lowly paid) volunteer for a local bus community organisation .

Am i missing anything here ? Presumably once the training is done i do my practical test and thats it ?
Do i get my CPC card on successful completion of the Case studies test or what happens ?

Also, anyone hiring in Oxfordshire ?
Please ?!

Thx
Ian

Do you have LGV C1 by passing your car test before 1997 :question:
Will you be driving commercially :question:

I had the same issue regarding the entitlement to take the module 2 case studies. I could see my entitlement to all other tests (including PCV module 2), but not LGV module 2.
As Rog mentions, it turned out to be due to me passing my car test before 1997. As I had a pre 97 car licence, I was already entitled to C1 licence.This C1 entitlement gives you a choice of CPC route.
If you are in the same situation as me, you can either:

1. Take the module 2 test
    Or
  2. Undertake 35 hours of CPC training by a JAUPT approved provider

Either route will give you a valid DQC card for 5 years.

ROG:
Do you have LGV C1 by passing your car test before 1997 :question: YES !

YES !

Thanks stevieiew for confirming. Yes that’s exactly my scenario.

I think i’ll do the test ! - Now - any recommended study sources ?
I do have the "Driver CPC Official DVSA guide for Professional Goods Vehicle Drivers " - but it appears to be a bit, err lightweight compared to some other things i have come across online ?
I will have a look through this forum for hints, but if you have any ideas please do let me know.

Thanks once again.
Ian

Hi Riddlemethis,

I opted to follow the 35 hours CPC training. Due to lockdown rules, training can now be done online.
I found the on line classroom training to be really helpful as a learning aid toward my study for module 1 theory. The virtual classroom was well attended, and you heard experience from the instructor and other people in the class.
I used a company in Scotland called VR Recruitment for the on line training. They are still offering remote training for £35 per 7 hours including upload.

Riddlemethis:

ROG:
Do you have LGV C1 by passing your car test before 1997 :question: YES !

YES !

In that case you are better to do the 35 hours of driver cpc and not the initial mods 2+4

If you get a trainer that has the driver cpc hours for the practical on road training then you can get some of the 35 hours with that

So you need
Medical
Prpvisional
Mod 1a LGV theory
Mod 1b HPT
Mod 3 practical on road test
35 hours of periodic/attendance or online driver cpc - you can do that now as you have LGV C1

I noticed you say you are looking to both your PCV and your LGV.

I personally would pick one or the other. I went out and got both myself. I simply haven’t used my D/D+E since I got the licence.

It could be because I was already in the transport world that I’ve stuck to using my LGV licence. But even though I’ve approached every single coach company in my area, no one seemed interested (I was only looking for weekend work) as I don’t have the typical “experience” that they are looking for.

Personal choice really. I know I have it now and I have a backup if my career in the LGV world goes belly up. But it’s an expensive route just to be sitting there not being used.

trucktruck86:
I noticed you say you are looking to both your PCV and your LGV.

I personally would pick one or the other. I went out and got both myself. I simply haven’t used my D/D+E since I got the licence.

It could be because I was already in the transport world that I’ve stuck to using my LGV licence. But even though I’ve approached every single coach company in my area, no one seemed interested (I was only looking for weekend work) as I don’t have the typical “experience” that they are looking for.

Personal choice really. I know I have it now and I have a backup if my career in the LGV world goes belly up. But it’s an expensive route just to be sitting there not being used.

Agreed - I have been driving a small bus for a local charity under exemption regulations and I think I would kill myself if I became a bus driver. No offence to bus drivers. It’s horrible having to deal with the great unwashed in society. And sometimes even the ones that have washed. A lot of the passengers smell of wee.