Passengers

I’m working the weekend & want to take the mrs out with me, think i’ll drop her round the corner from my work then go pick her up. Is it legal or not to hold passengers? I always see drivers rolling about with there partners or kids in the passenger seat? Did it before with my old company but they didn’t give a toss. I’m working for a more corporate buisness now and don’t think they would allow it! Worth the risk or not?

all depends on there company policy also might not be covered on insurance if something was to happen :question:

Do the police tend pull drivers with passengers? Not worried if they don’t I’m just gonna do it :slight_smile:.

It just depends how big the company is, as some delivery places dont even allow passengers but you should be alright.

no- i did it one fri night with the ex-she came to keep me company[her words],she nearly had kittens when i reversed under trailer and caught pin,she then procceded to sleep from donington to glous, then moaned i woke her up changing trailers, slept from glous back up to donnington, then moaned to grantham she was knackered, moaned she was cold when we walked down yar from truck to car, its not a good idea but this thread has reminded me how lucky im not with her anymore :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink:

if its got 2 seats then i think it will be insured whatever they say

Moose:

yes probally but for people employed for the company :question:

sea frog:

Moose:

yes probally but for people employed for the company :question:

If a passenger isn’t insured, regardless of whether they are an employee or not, then it means the vehicle is not insured. Insurance cover for passengers is a requirement of the Road Traffic Act and all insurance policies have this as standard.

I have taken various girlfriends away with me in the past and my son has been to Italy with me in the truck and they were all happy and memorable times, but this practise seems to be frowned upon nowadays.

Legally, the situation is that your passenger is insured. It is not possible for a haulier to opt out of this, all passengers have to be insured whether or not they are employed by the company. Your company may have a policy which prohibits it, and you could be disciplined if you ignored it. But you could not get into trouble with the Police for carrying an unauthorised passenger.

So it’s up to you, you will either get away with it or you will have to sit on the Naughty Step if you are grassed up. Me, I would go for it. :wink:

Don’t know where your going to load or tip, but a lot of places wont let passengers in, they have to stay at the gate and wait for you to come out.

when i insure my truck i have never yet seen a box to tick for ( people
employed by the company only or 1 person only ) so i think they just tell drivers this b/s and they belive it

doh wonkey finger

altitude:
Don’t know where your going to load or tip, but a lot of places wont let passengers in, they have to stay at the gate and wait for you to come out.

i always thought that, but ive taken no end of new drivers[learning the ropes], never had a problem and never been asked who they are,

ady1:

altitude:

i always thought that, but ive taken no end of new drivers[learning the ropes], never had a problem and never been asked who they are,

Yeah I know what your saying mate so have I, you normally get the problem if you have a woman with you, I think it’s just an excuse to keep them there to try and chat them up, :wink: There are also a lot of places that wont let you take your kids in.

Like Coffeeholic says, insurance fulfilling the Road Traffic Act 1988 MUST cover passengers. Companies don’t like having the chance of that kind of claim so they ‘ban’ passengers.

The flooring delivery company I once worked had the same policy, but my truck was based at a remote operating centre with no management around. :smiley: :wink:

The young lady I took for a couple of days out doing multi-drop is now my wife. Which means;

1. I’m not that bad a driver really.
  2. My missus is a really cheap date. :wink:

Williams9881:
Is it legal or not to hold passengers?

Yes, no problem legally at all, as long as seats are fitted (ie it’s not one of those Renault Premium ‘Solo’ cab jobs)

Williams9881:
I’m working for a more corporate buisness now and don’t think they would allow it! Worth the risk or not?

Find out - if they don’t allow it, then you balance the fun of taking the mrs out and showing her the job, against the risk of being caught and disciplined. Some of the more ‘corporate’ firms will take a very dim view.

Harry Monk:
So it’s up to you, you will either get away with it or you will have to sit on the Naughty Step if you are grassed up. Me, I would go for it. :wink:

Naughty step? If there’s a clear ‘no passengers’ rule, and you’re caught in breach, it could be worse than that

I remember any years ago (1988?) when I was driving 7.5 tonners I used to take the (4 legged) dog with me most of the time.

Caused a bit of a problem when I rolled up at LHR to deliver some items airside - apparently due to quarantine regs he wasn’t allowed though the security gate. Offered them the choice of offloading around £30k of goods there or dog sitting - they chose to dog sit! :slight_smile:

W.

Dads’ lorry was free childcare for me; and an insight into lorry driving. On certain sites I’d have a ride in JCBs, bulldozers etc. I used to have to duck down when passing other company lorries but it was common knowledge I was there and nobody said anything. One thing to consider though is the matter of child seats; I don’t know whether the law is the same for trucks as cars?

Muckaway:
One thing to consider though is the matter of child seats; I don’t know whether the law is the same for trucks as cars?

What size child seat do you reckon he will need for his Mrs? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

Muckaway:
One thing to consider though is the matter of child seats; I don’t know whether the law is the same for trucks as cars?

What size child seat do you reckon he will need for his Mrs? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

The smallest if the op was by Gary Glitter… :laughing: