Parking again

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … risis.html

What is this bloke on?

many drivers still choose to pull up overnight in unsecure, dangerous places in order to pocket their allowance.

No drivers choose to do this, the subsistence allowance they get is to feed themselves at night and in the morning, do laundry and a little for the inconvenience. It is the operators who won’t pay to park the vehicle. The problem has arisen because of the steep charges for parking. A truckstop should take profits from selling good value wholesome food, beverages and truck related paraphernalia in the shop.

The guy is a fud! He says there is a dire shortage of parking spaces in truckstops, then follows it up with, but no-one uses them. Maybe he can only afford 3 holidays this year.

somebody trying to make money out of this reccesion

and he obviously hasnt ever taken a truck to a truckstop and had to pay 20 quid to park in the sub standard area for the night?

■■■■

Few more parking spots gone A1 Little Bistro shut Rainton services southbound. From what I hear Rainton Northbound will be closed also Big off the road Layby nr Leaming south wont be there much longer either all A1upgrade.
As for ■■■■■ you quoted wheelnut just unbelevable commenting on something they know bugger all about :unamused: :unamused:
Pleased I`m just trunking now must be a nightmare especialy for Newbies trying to work out where they are going to park :exclamation:

Well we all know what to do then, dont use this idiots facilities ,then he might start to feel the pinch too.Also Truck& Driver are getting bosses to do a night out in a truck,hows-about Mr Know-it-all doing a night out at his place.When i did nights out i very rarely got a good nights kip in a truckstop or services,just too noisy for me.

I’ve read the article, and it seems to me that the guy making the statement that Wheelnut quoted, is Karl Rout. He’s the owner of Orwell Truckstop, and should know better.
Maybe some of you guys could educate him next time you visit Orwell.

I may be wrong, and hope I am :open_mouth:

i’m surprised at his comments. orwell crossing is possible the best in this country and would be full even if it was twice the size so which truckstops aren’t used i don’t know many you can get on past 8pm.

Take a look at most truckstops round the country, and come 21.00hrs you’ll find most drivers in their cabs. Now,other than those that have early starts, is that because they’re skint because of the parking charge, skint because of low wages, spendthrift because they need to keep an expensive homelife, or just plain unsociable. Not that it’s something i’d do,but I cant see the point in paying £20 to park if you’re then going to sit in the cab, cooking your own meal and watching TV, not when it’s the bosses problem if the truck gets robbed or he’s reluctant to reimburse the parking costs.

there are virtualy none you can get in after 7pm, i do agree the prices the motorway services charge too park is crazy n the standerd of food in them is worse than wot i would feed to a pig

HOORAY FOR KARL ROUT, If you read the article again this guy is the champion of the Truck Driver, he is saying that we NEED more Truck Stops (Just like his), also he is saying are wages are so Pi55 Poor that we Don’t / Can’t park in these facilitys, so if you are in Orewll go and buy this guy a big drink!!!
He could be the Truck Drivers ‘Czsar’…

Well thats the way I read it…half full not half empty. :wink:

Just as an after thought what we should do is to just park anywhere, really annoy the nimbys, then and only then will we get more suitable places to park.
So next time some Colonel Blimp trys to give you a hard time about parking in his back yard tell him to get lost or go forth and multiply and complain to his Local Authority…there’s a good chap! More complaints they get the better for us…hopefully, eventually.

Deepinvet:
also he is saying are wages are so Pi55 Poor that we Don’t / Can’t park in these facilitys, so if you are in Orewll go and buy this guy a big drink!!!

surely you don’t pay to park your truck out of your wages !!!

he’s either mis-quoted or on another planet :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Denis F:

Deepinvet:
also he is saying are wages are so Pi55 Poor that we Don’t / Can’t park in these facilitys, so if you are in Orewll go and buy this guy a big drink!!!

surely you don’t pay to park your truck out of your wages !

he’s either mis-quoted or on another planet :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’d guess that most people have to pay out first then collect expenses at end of the week.

No I don’t pay to park my Truck in services, but it’s like this If your wife says I am just popping into town for a browse round the shops you know full well that after a spot of lunch and the pair of shoes or blouse that was sooooo cheap in the sale it will cost you best part of £50!!!

The point i’m trying to make is that yes parking costs £20 but if you go in side for a meal say £7 then a beer or 2 say another £5 then a bit of breakfast in the morning another £5, altogether thats £17 times that by 4 that come to £68 then do that by 4 then it comes to £272. This does not include parking fee. Add that, then it all comes to £592, that is a lot in anybodys money.
If the average wage of the Truck driver was say about £35,000 then maybe that might be acceptable but at the moment it is not.
If Karl Trout is trying to highlight this fact the good on him.

I don’t park in services if i can help it, it’s too noisey and too many dodgy characters :wink:

Deepinvet:
No I don’t pay to park my Truck in services, but it’s like this If your wife says I am just popping into town for a browse round the shops you know full well that after a spot of lunch and the pair of shoes or blouse that was sooooo cheap in the sale it will cost you best part of £50!!!

The point i’m trying to make is that yes parking costs £20 but if you go in side for a meal say £7 then a beer or 2 say another £5 then a bit of breakfast in the morning another £5, altogether thats £17 times that by 4 that come to £68 then do that by 4 then it comes to £272. This does not include parking fee. Add that, then it all comes to £592, that is a lot in anybodys money.
If the average wage of the Truck driver was say about £35,000 then maybe that might be acceptable but at the moment it is not.
If Karl Trout is trying to highlight this fact the good on him.

I don’t park in services if i can help it, it’s too noisey and too many dodgy characters :wink:

I think you’re misreading him or he’s been misquoted or he’s trying to ■■■■ off his customers.to me he’s saying drivers should be forced into stopping in truckstops but he makes no mention of the lack of them or the terrible quality of most.

[I think you’re misreading him or he’s been misquoted or he’s trying to ■■■■ off his customers.to me he’s saying drivers should be forced into stopping in truckstops but he makes no mention of the lack of them or the terrible quality of most.

[/quote]
That is the point, he is saying we should not be parked up in laybys, we should all be tucked up in a Truckstop, this surely is a positive thing.

I take it you found somewhere to park in Romford??

Deepinvet:

[I think you’re misreading him or he’s been misquoted or he’s trying to ■■■■ off his customers.to me he’s saying drivers should be forced into stopping in truckstops but he makes no mention of the lack of them or the terrible quality of most.

That is the point, he is saying we should not be parked up in laybys, we should all be tucked up in a Truckstop, this surely is a positive thing.

I take it you found somewhere to park in Romford??
[/quote]
No. I’ve had a stressfull day so I just want to get parked up asap. I ran out to the lorry park at basildon, last time I was here yooffs was drag racing till gone 12! Hopefully not tonite.

I really don’t want to slag off the guy cos he runs the truckstop others should aspire too but he comes across badly in that article. I’ve read it again
“building more truckstops will only solve half the problem” to me he is saying he doesn’t want more competition, so he’s only concerned with his own financial gain, can’t blame him there but he isn’t talking for me I want more choice from top quality £15 per night to ■■■■ holes at £5 I just want to know I can get somewhere and sleep safely within all the regulations I have to obbey.

I nearly pee’d my pants last night trying to get a layby on the A34 between Oxford and Didcot for a quick ■■■■■ in the bushes…
The overnight parking never bothers me these days as I don’t stop out anymore.It can be a chore trying to get parked for a break mind and normally end up parking in front of people who are overnighting and hope they aren’t about to get up and want to go.

Progress they call it, I much preferred life as a tramper when we had digs for the night. I used to love the Glendevon Cafe and Filling station at Wynchborough, Nr Broxburn, Seven shillings and six pence for evening meal bed and breakfast. Crawford was another little place that had excellent digs.

Bringing in the sleeper cab ripped of the trucker. The night out money should be the same for you as it is for an office worker, you are both human and deserve the same kind of facilities.

Far different in the USA, the truck stops are excellent, there are many of them and every motel chain has cheap rates forthe truckers to stay overnight if he wishes to. Face the fact that the trucker in this country is looked upon as a second class citizen and is not likely to change anytime soon. Perhaps a nice week long strike would wake the population up to the fact that without you all, they cannot possibly live.

Whats needed is for all the t/stops in this country [inc msa,s]to learn a lesson off the german msa,s and autohofs,serve up decent food at decent prices,have clean toilets and showers,good shops,and most importantly give the driver back his parking fee off the price of his meal.Works over there why not here?
regards dave.

I like his truck stop ,just disagree with his statement. as a freelance i have to pay out my wages, & hand in receipts after tax yr(bit like your local MP!!■■) wont go into that.I stop in 1 every 2 weeks or so & i choose which ones too as most are as has been said previously, too noisy and expensive £20 ■■? what do you get for that?? ( plenty of potholes at strensham south).Park anywhere, if curtains get slashed only a phone call in the morning. Compare it with Geiselwind Ger, there IS NO comparison & It is much busier than the M5!