More info needed please

Carrying on from my last question, could those of you that have parked up for the night answer a few questions on the below link please?

I’m only after those that are nighting out to complete it.

After I’ve managed to get a few results I’ll be able to compare them against the area in which I’m looking to start a truckstop.

Cheers

Rich

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZZBHQC8

Done.

Paying in advance in theory might be good but personally I would do this, as you never known what’s around the corner with the roads these days.

Banged in my twopeneth worth

Done

Done

Cheers guys,
I’ve started the local research by knocking on a couple of cab doors.
Pleasantly surprised by how the drivers I spoke to were more than willing to have the survey link emailed to them, with all the guys I spoke to having completed the questions.

I felt awkward knocking on doors and it did make me wonder if the driver thought he was about to get robbed or not.

So, if any of you between j16 to 20 of the m6, have a knock on the door by a really good looking young lad, it won’t be me and your luck may be in. :wink:

5 minutes since your last comment and Dipper still has not responded re your last sentence …

Can I bump this to the top again please?
Had a few responses and really appreciate the help.

Again, if anyone is parked up for the night, can I have your opinions please.

Rich

You want a successful truckstop?

Don’t rip drivers off. £5 pound for parking is enough. Don’t charge lots to compensate for lack of cafe business. If your grub is good, they’ll come in and eat. If it’s ■■■■, they won’t.

Simple, wholesome menu. Fish and chips. Bangers and mash. Ham egg and chips. Beef or pork or such dinner. The option of a proper salad. Sensibly priced. Served by cheery staff.

A level parking area. No potholes please. Not needing to walk through puddles resembling the Somme to get to toilets/cafe. Possibly toilets at far side of parking (could justify small increase in parking charge).

A bar. Right or wrong, many drivers like to wind down with a pint or two.

Remember, not all companies pay that £15-£20 parking that puts so many drivers off.
Keep the toilets/showers clean. Have a janitor on duty, who will usually deter vandalism just by their presence. A small charge for the shower, will pay for that. I don’t stop and pay £15 for an included shower, if that shower is filthy and or crap. I will gladly pay £1 or £2 for a clean and hot shower.

A small launderette or barbers. You could hire out some space to people providing relevant to driver services

And charging £15+ for parking, and then £8+ for a meal, is disgraceful. And the reason so many truckstops struggle.

the nodding donkey:

Don’t rip drivers off. £5 pound for parking is enough. Don’t charge lots to compensate for lack of cafe business. If your grub is good, they’ll come in and eat. If it’s [zb], they won’t.

Simple, wholesome menu. Fish and chips. Bangers and mash. Ham egg and chips. Beef or pork or such dinner. The option of a proper salad. Sensibly priced. Served by cheery staff.

A level parking area. No potholes please. Not needing to walk through puddles resembling the Somme to get to toilets/cafe. Possibly toilets at far side of parking (could justify small increase in parking charge).

Remember, not all companies pay that £15-£20 parking that puts so many drivers off.
Keep the toilets/showers clean. Have a janitor on duty, who will usually deter vandalism just by their presence. A small charge for the shower, will pay for that. I don’t stop and pay £15 for an included shower, if that shower is filthy and or crap. I will gladly pay £1 or £2 for a clean and hot shower.

A small launderette or barbers. You could hire out some space to people providing relevant to driver services

And charging £15+ for parking, and then £8+ for a meal, is disgraceful. And the reason so many truckstops struggle.

^^^ pretty much spot on, and saved me a lot of typing.

the nodding donkey:

Don’t rip drivers off. £5 pound for parking is enough. Don’t charge lots to compensate for lack of cafe business. If your grub is good, they’ll come in and eat. If it’s [zb], they won’t.

I’m with you nodding donkey. During my time tramping I was muttering to myself about all these exact points myself, minus a barber. But I can see the need for others!

The food choices, food choices, food choices.
The lack of potholes. Pave the bloody place
Cleanliness
£5 parking fee
A bar
Proper Security systems
Parking bays that’s haven’t been thought out by a complete clutz
A fridge section
No cars/screaming kids/winging baby boomers staring at the food counter for half an hour
A proper truck stop section. Ferries have transport drivers only areas

Spot on ND. The places would be rammed.

Would be good if you could some how get some parking organisation going on too. Probably not as easy as it sounds with people coming and going at different times.

But some way of stopping the lazy idiots who would rather park on a kerb rather than a space.

Makes it alot harder than it needs to be to actually get in a space yourself. Especially if the lighting isn’t up to scratch.

Thurrock had a bay system on the computer when entering. It would allocate a parking slot then release it once the previous vehicle had passed through the out gate when parking ticket was used to open the barrier.
As said don’t over price the parking, I’m currently paying £9.50 and I get a £4 meal voucher with that.
You don’t need a bar as that’s just more cost what with the licence etc.

So it’s
Good clean thought out parking.
Good simple food.
Clean WARM toilets / showers.
Small shop with general snacks etc a bit like a spar.
One other thing is a loyalty card for night outers, sort of park 10 times get 1 free , always good to get return regulars.

Done the survey although I don’t night out I Day out being a night driver