New to "tramping"- who pays your parking

When I say tramping I’m averaging 2 nights a week so you seasoned vets will possibly call it something else…

However tonight the first night I’ve struggled to find parking (holyhead-abundance of double yellows) rang boss see if he would stump up £15 for the road king he said it will come out of my £20 allowance.

Now I’ve only been there 2 weeks and loving the job, variety etc. Beats multi drop days…
But I was in office other day one of his driver’s was running out of duty time he said pull up at Lyme and he’ll cover the cost.

So is this the norm, some gaffers only paying up when their drivers are in risk of breaching wtf/drivers hours

Or am I, the newbie, getting the royal ■■■■ taken out of me

As far as I was concerned the overnight allowance covered food, anti social hours etc

Tell boss to Zb off the night out is for food not parking
Mine don’t pay unless high value or it’s your 3rd night

I get told when it’s high value that some services are just as crime ridden with scrotes as any industrial estate which I understand his point, however how would the insurance company respond knowing his 500k load of clothes and trainers has just been dumped unsecure cos he would t pay a few quid for parking

Just genuinely interested and I know it will be a hot topic talked about more than occasionally, I find it ridiculous.

For what it’s worth I’d prefer to be away from map’s, enjoy going for a roam finding a pub for a couple. But sometimes you just want away from the wheel for 11 hours

If he won’t pay for parking them either park any where you please or move jobs. If you get done over then the blame lies with the boss. You are the driver, you don’t own the truck so you don’t have to pay for parking. Does he ask you to pay for the diesel? I’d ditch that place sharpish and find a company that looks after their drivers.

As said…Parking should’nt come out of your overnight allowance…He like a few others are just being tight.I must admit msa’s are’nt the best places to overnight…Ind est and even good off road laybys give you a better nights kip…Oh and 2 nights out a week?.Part time tramping is that…lol

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I work class 2 with 2 nights out a week avg., we get 25 quid per night, if i have to pay parking it goes in expenses on the time sheet and is paid back, if i include the 10 quid food voucher, this is also refunded, leaving the £25 secure in my bank. There are firms which will pay it, Been here 18months now, seems ok.

Night out money isn’t there to pay for parking, it’s business cost of owning a truck not from driving the truck.
Night out money a substance payment to allow drivers to pay for expenses that they incur by being away from home without having to gets receipts and claim it back form HMRC, although HMRC have changed the rules on tax free night out payments.

My advice is to do enough with this company to get your experience and then move to a proper haulage company. :wink:

Next time you are due a night out ring your boss and tell him if he won’t pay for parking you’ll drop the trailer and park in another road as you are not spending your nights as a security guard for his trailer and you feel being parked up with the trailer attached is putting your safety at risk.

dave_890:
I work class 2 with 2 nights out a week avg., we get 25 quid per night, if i have to pay parking it goes in expenses on the time sheet and is paid back, if i include the 10 quid food voucher, this is also refunded, leaving the £25 secure in my bank. There are firms which will pay it, Been here 18months now, seems ok.

Hang on…if you get a food voucher, you claim that as well? You claim for a voucher which already gives you free food?

And he pays it?

Either my idea of a food voucher is entirely different to yours…or you have a very generous, or gullible, boss!

DonutUK:

dave_890:

Hang on…if you get a food voucher, you claim that as well? You claim for a voucher which already gives you free food?

And he pays it?

Either my idea of a food voucher is entirely different to yours…or you have a very generous, or gullible, boss!

Same at my place. On the rare occasion I end up in the services I get parking with food voucher, staple the receipt to my time sheet and the full amount is back in my bank the following friday.

My lot will pay night out plus parking, but they deduct whatever the extra charge is for the meal voucher if its on the parking receipt.

Alfa1M:
When I say tramping I’m averaging 2 nights a week so you seasoned vets will possibly call it something else…

However tonight the first night I’ve struggled to find parking (holyhead-abundance of double yellows) rang boss see if he would stump up £15 for the road king he said it will come out of my £20 allowance.

Now I’ve only been there 2 weeks and loving the job, variety etc. Beats multi drop days…
But I was in office other day one of his driver’s was running out of duty time he said pull up at Lyme and he’ll cover the cost.

So is this the norm, some gaffers only paying up when their drivers are in risk of breaching wtf/drivers hours

Or am I, the newbie, getting the royal ■■■■ taken out of me

As far as I was concerned the overnight allowance covered food, anti social hours etc

:open_mouth: If I was you I would be kicking off big style about getting that back mate. (Or using other methods if that does not work…use your imagination)
Your night out money is little enough without having to pay to keep HIS truck safe, he’s got a ■■■■ cheek and he’s taking the ■■■■ out of a new driver…end of.

Next time ring him for something as an excuse, and mention you are about to park up on a good bit of wasteground you have found beside a few caravans and Transit pick ups, and discuss with him whether he will change his policy towards paying for parking. :bulb:
I know you’re new mate, and it’s ok for someone like me who has been around the block to tell you to do stuff like this…but they ALL try it on in some form or another, and unless you let him see that you are not your average gullible driver he will keep it up.
If you show a bit of backbone, and initiative, equated with being good at your job, and just ■■■■ the other drivers who take it up the tradesman’s, that’s their look out, you ARE respected more, and treated like a grown up…trust me.

DonutUK:

dave_890:

And he pays it?

Most good firms do :bulb: .
Originally the voucher was a perk for the driver for choosing to park on their site, between them and the driver with nothing to do with his co.
(after saying that I can not see why a driver would ‘choose’ an MSA :unamused: ) but then many started putting on the ticket the meal voucher bit.

Only tight arsed firms like mine will take a meal voucher off the costs, so unless it is marked on the ticket they don’t get to know about it.

DonutUK:

And he pays it?

I claim the 26 £ parking with food voucher for £10 include in the 26, also i have to use a msa to get as close to the yard as poss when on long day poss night out as over 9 hrs driving, if i had the choice it would be a trading estate with the curtains open, i am normally 2 hrs off the yard then run another full day, but approx 6/8 drops a day and not hard work 26k per annum rigid work.

It’s not just about load security. It’s your right to shower and have access to a loo should you need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theres always the option of thinking completely outside the box and parking where you dont need to pay? or would that be too terrible to contemplate.in the uk id never park on a msa even if they were free. if you now your not getting parking paid,then it somewhat opens your eyes to alternative parking without going out your way to look for a diddycoy encampment or the like.

dave_890:

DonutUK:

And he pays it?

I claim the 26 £ parking with food voucher for £10 include in the 26, also i have to use a msa to get as close to the yard as poss when on long day poss night out as over 9 hrs driving, if i had the choice it would be a trading estate with the curtains open, i am normally 2 hrs off the yard then run another full day, but approx 6/8 drops a day and not hard work 26k per annum rigid work.

Right…so you’re not claiming the meal voucher back…you’re claiming the parking cost which includes the meal voucher i.e. £22 without meal voucher, £26 with voucher…you’re claiming the £26.

Which HMRC will frown upon unless you are declare this as a perk…because that’s what it is. The parking is an expense, the cost of a meal is what drivers get their night out allowance for…so an employer who doesn’t deduct the extra cost for the meal voucher is actually giving the driver a benefit in kind…which is taxable.

Not saying I agree with it, and I have certainly benefited from it in the past, but that is the official HMRC position on it…and both company and driver may get in trouble if discovered.

Hang on mate…it wasn’t me who posted that. :neutral_face:

MOD NOTE = quote fixed

I know…the quotes got messed up during his reply…couldn’t figure out how to put it right!

MOD NOTE = quote fixed