Owner Driver. Who to pull for?

Good evening folks,

I have been a driver for nearly 20 years now and I am fed up of making other people money and just getting by myself. I have decided that I am going to go and drive for myself.

The question is, who should I pull for? I have tried the search function but I can’t find what I’m looking for.

I will be based to the south of Bristol and there seems to be a good choice available to be. I’ll list a few for you and I’ll let you tell me who is good and who should be taken out and shot!

Wincanton (containers)
Maritime
N R Evans
Lidl
Gregory Distribution
Eldapoint
Elite

If you, or anyone you know, pulls for any of these firms, can you let me know what they are like.

I don’t plan on being rich as I realise I’m in the wrong industry for that, I just want to get a reasonable ammount in my back pocket and the bills get paid.

Thanks in advance

Wincanton and elite, taken out and shot :sunglasses:

Maritime have a depot at Avonmouth, pretty good to work for, but i’m being ran from Southampton Depot on a specific contract and am being kept busy.

don’t know about any of the others

Gregorys seem a good firm (from an employed driers point of view)

migt be worth giving them a ring and “having a chat”

I believe that InBev are currently recruiting some extra subbies to pull their trailers out of Magor and Samlesbury, you would probably have to contact head office in Luton. A rare chance for an OD to work directly for a blue chip customer these days.

They are good enough to work for and the money is very safe, you will never, ever have to ask for a cheque. Slightly odd job though, it pays a weekly rate, regardless of what you do; there are quite a few ODs and small hauliers who have been on it for many years so it must work out for them.

Greg’s are ok if you like tramping, least you know you’ll get paid. You ain’t gonna get rich though. Could never be arsed with containers, hate ports and sitting around, the trailers make a right racket as well and again the money isn’t gonna make you rich. Lidl might be worth a punt as you can probably double shift the unit with a night driver and you’ll be home every night and might get you feet under the table given a bit of time. I’d be on the phone to InBev like a shot if I was based down there but probably so will everyone else who is reading this post, lol! Insurance for Booze is probably ridiculous though. Also worth bearing in mind, athough they are taking on now, they will be laying off after Christmas!

Bacon Sandwich:
Good evening folks,

I have been a driver for nearly 20 years now and I am fed up of making other people money and just getting by myself. I have decided that I am going to go and drive for myself.

Thanks in advance

Im not knocking your idea but think your reasoning is floored. I can almost guarantee you that most salaried drivers on here will be taking home more than running a single truck will allow you to take as drawings.

Wheel Nut:

Bacon Sandwich:
Good evening folks,

Thanks in advance

Im not knocking your idea but think your reasoning is floored. I can almost guarantee you that most salaried drivers on here will be taking home more than running a single truck will allow you to take as drawings.

Hi Wheel Nut,

You’re probably right but the shower I currently work for is paying peanuts so any improvement is a good one! I just think I’ll be happier working for myself.

I shall get on to InBev and see what the crack is.

Thanks very much for all the feedback.

I’m not trying to pee on yr parade, but take note.

This is not a get rich quick scheme. The transport industry is full of empty promises. If someone offers you something thats too good to be true it probably is.

If this is something you really want, then do it for the right reasons.

Rule 1) Only venture into this if its all you’ve ever wanted to do.
2) You will need nerves of steel, cos when it goes wrong, it really goes wrong
3) You need 100% support of yr wife and family
4) This is a long term investment, DO NOT think for one second that you can bale out anytime and be ahead of where you started from.

I would never tell anyone not to do what i have done, just go into it with your eyes wide open. Good luck.

just picking up on something mentioned above, i priced the rise in GIT to carry beer/spirits and i was surprised to find it wasnt that bad, extra £48 a month with axa, found out i would have been dropped after the xmas/new year rush so i didnt bother with the job