Advice or feedback

Hi All
I would like any advice or feedback from anyone who is subbbing for any of the big box firms such as Wincanton Or Maritime, are you getting what they said you would, are you getting enough miles in a week, how much are you paying for fuel, tough questions I know but any feedback would be welcome THANKS

Worked for Maritime for 3 days! Nice people to work for (if you can assess them that quickly) but the bottom line was i immediately realised it was’nt paying.
After all costs for the truck and fuel, i would have been taking home about £400 a week for 5 days tramping
You HAVE to have their hire trailer (£100 PW) because you drop and swap so much.
After saying all of the above, i’m considering going back to them as my truck is currently parked up through lack of work and its better to get something than sod all.

kwaka: all i see for people driving for wincanton/maritime etc they fairly new trucks, do they require drivers with new trucks or anyone with truck is welcome?

hias far as i can tell any good truck will do of course if it breaks down you will not be earning any money

kwaka:
Worked for Maritime for 3 days! Nice people to work for (if you can assess them that quickly) but the bottom line was i immediately realised it was’nt paying.
After all costs for the truck and fuel, i would have been taking home about £400 a week for 5 days tramping
**You HAVE to have their hire trailer (£100 PW) because you drop and swap so much.**After saying all of the above, i’m considering going back to them as my truck is currently parked up through lack of work and its better to get something than sod all.

This is not true, i have 2 trucks on Maritime and i run my own trailers.

it does of course depend on what contract you are on, i ran a Maritime trailer for about 6 to 8 weeks until i got my own.

If you are seriously considering doing this kind of work, try it for a while using their trailer, then if you like the job and get on with the controllers, my advice would be to get your own trailer, it will save you money.

Maritime trailer = £100 per week, plus any damage you do to it, i.e. wheel arches if you drive off without raising the suspension, tyres, anything. you could get a brand new trailer for that money, or you could get a real nasty peice of s**t for the same money. If you do hire their trailer, every time you pick one up, go over it and list EVERY fault, no matter how long it looks like it has been there and report it immediately to your controller before you hook up to it, this tip will save you a fortune.

your own trailer = £ depends on age and condition.

I have a 2005 trailer = £51 per week, a Feb 2007 trailer for £82 per week (purchased brand new direct from Dennison) and an Oct 2007 trailer for £92 per week (purchased brand new from RSG).

The choice is yours.

Shuttlespanker - i have sent you a PM.