Maritime Transport

Whats the deal with Maritime Transport? Truck & Driver carry a full page ad every month with Maritime guaranteeing work for owner drivers and what appears to be a great fuel offer as well. And on their website it even says if you buy a truck from them you will get priority work as well, anything up to £2,000 a week. Does anyone know anything about it or better still have they worked for them either as an OD or a staff driver. I would love to know is it as good as it looks? Can you earn a decent wage from it? Im new at this game so would appreciate the advice of the more experienced people. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Regards to all

3 things bud
1st welcome to the site

2nd do a search on maritime there is plenty on here about them

and 3rd the fact they are advertising every month should give you a clue !!

i used to work for them and the od’s seemed to get all the slow jobs and the boat catchers.

as to work for depends on the depot your on for

I went to Tilbury and met Tom Cole, with a view to going on with Maritime as an OD…

To cut a long story short, you will be expected to work every legal hour you can, do a minimum of 1400 miles before so called guarenteed [sp] earnings, which you lose if you ask to be home early, there is no £2000 min on artics, thats only drawbars, artics are £1800…

Out of this comes fuel, the 72ppl in the ads is done via thier mileage, it does not take into account the extra you will do running around Ports for boxes etc, all your running costs, plus the £100 a week trailer hire, and no you wont get your own trailer, you will be dropping them on a regular basis and picking up another, so trailer checks are doubly esential, as the last guy could have done damage which you could be liable for.

Also take out Ins, Tax, parking, food, wages…

I walked away. :confused:

Rubbish to work for, mate of mine went on their at Tilbury with a plan to become an O/D for them thinking they would help him out with the initial payment and all the legal stuff, but he hates working for them and still no nearer becoming an O/D after two years

They pushing the drawbar outfits for two reasons, 1, they just about to ‘de-commission’ a whole load of them and so are excess to requirement and 2, they will have you running with just 1 x 20" a lot of the time so therefore not earning a great deal of money

Containers is and always has been fairly low paid for an O/D, most round here are pulling trailers out of purfleet, Dartline, P&O Tilbury etc.

richiessex:
They pushing the drawbar outfits for two reasons, 1, they just about to ‘de-commission’ a whole load of them and so are excess to requirement and 2, they will have you running with just 1 x 20" a lot of the time so therefore not earning a great deal of money

If they’re guaranteeing you 2000/week and then running you a lot of the time without the trailer then surely you’re onto a winner as you’ll still be getting the 2000/week but only running 3 axles worth of tyres and only hauling 26t at most around most of the time and therefore using much less fuel.

Paul

2k is not worth a ■■■■.

1400 miles at 7 mpg.
900 ltrs fuel,near £700 fuel bill alone.
at maretimes prices.
fuel is rising by the week.
are the rates?
that leaves £1300.
tax and insurance £150…£200.
leaves £1100.
trailer hire…£100
leaves £1000.
important one.
repayment on truck.
pick a figure…lets say £500 per week.
leaves £500.
maintainance and servicing.
i have no idea.
its luck,
if for example an oil cooler went.
it could cost 3 or 4 hundred pounds.
if you cant repair it yourself,you got to pay for labour to get it fitted
thats only an example.
if the gearbox went.
£6000 for a box.

a tyre is 2 to 3 hundred pounds.
£2000 is useless if you are running a new or modren truck,or any truck for that matter on high mileage.
i had my own.
it is not easy.
maritime and big companies like that are out for the shareholders,not the subbies.
when you go down and perhaps lose your house[this happened to me]
someone else will take your place.
dont do it.
pm me and i will put you more in the picture.
good luck…greg

greg50:
1400 miles at 7 mpg.

What are you running that only does 7mpg? I’m running at 44t from Yorkshire to Liverpool and back over the M62 and getting better than that (just). If you’ve got a wagon+drag and they’re running you without the drag a lot of the time as others suggest then you’ll be getting more like 9mpg or even a bit more. 1400 miles at 9mpg instead of 7mpg saves you 200 litres on your figure or about 140quid at Maritime’s prices.

greg50:

10k a year for your tax and insurance? Seems a bit steep to me but I could be wrong.

greg50:
trailer hire…£100

Trailer hire for a wagon+drag?

greg50:
important one.
repayment on truck.

Just over £200/week over 5 years going by Maritime’s own advert in CM, so there’s another 300/week saving over your numbers.

greg50:
leaves £500.

Well we’ve saved £140 on the fuel, £100 cos we don’t need a trailer and £300 on the finance repayments, so that £500 is now a bit over £1000.

I’m not trying to say it’s definitely a good idea, and I’ve no intention of doing it myself, just I feel some of your numbers are a bit off target.

greg50:
maritime and big companies like that are out for the shareholders,not the subbies.

Now on that one we agree. Like any company their sole purpose is to make money for their shareholders. The management wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t try to buy in their supplies for the lowest price possible, and at the end of the day the subbies are just another cost to them that needs to be reduced as much as possible.

Paul

Chris at the Leeds office likes big hairy truckers!! :smiley: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Ive just bought a drawbar from Maritime… Looking at the subby deal now… Ill let you all know how it works out…

El_Benno:
Ive just bought a drawbar from Maritime… Looking at the subby deal now… Ill let you all know how it works out…

here, hide behind this

Welcome to TruckNet Uk, and good Luck with Maritime :wink:

Just wondering, maybe I read this wrong, but surely you checked the subby deal before you bought the truck
:question: :question: :question:

madders:
Chris at the Leeds office likes big hairy truckers!! :smiley: :exclamation: :exclamation:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Is that young chris who used to be a planner at Stobart hawleys lane? :laughing: :laughing:

Like any company their sole purpose is to make money for their shareholders.

Just nit picking, but Maritime doesn’t have shareholders, it’s privately owned by John Williams

plannerman:

Like any company their sole purpose is to make money for their shareholders.

Just nit picking, but Maritime doesn’t have shareholders, it’s privately owned by John Williams

Given they’re a UK registered limited company they have to by law have at least one shareholder. Just cos they’re a Private Limited Company and not a Public Limited Company it doesn’t mean they don’t have them. In their case Mr Williams is probably the majority (if not sole) shareholder.

Paul

El_Benno you have PM

so what you gonna do with the drawbar when it doesnt pay :question: im not taking the p*** just curious i dont know many o/ds that buy them :wink:

Makes you wonder why Maritime are so keen to get rid of the drawbar fleet so soon. There must be a lot of brick block work coming off :stuck_out_tongue:

repton:

greg50:
1400 miles at 7 mpg.

What are you running that only does 7mpg? I’m running at 44t from Yorkshire to Liverpool and back over the M62 and getting better than that (just). If you’ve got a wagon+drag and they’re running you without the drag a lot of the time as others suggest then you’ll be getting more like 9mpg or even a bit more. 1400 miles at 9mpg instead of 7mpg saves you 200 litres on your figure or about 140quid at Maritime’s prices.

some trucks will do 9 mpg.
not all.
when quoting rates you quote at approx 6mpg.
regardless of what you are getting.

greg50:

10k a year for your tax and insurance? Seems a bit steep to me but I could be wrong.
insurance…5000.
goods intransit 1000.
tax 2000?
im not sure but not too far off

greg50:
trailer hire…£100

Trailer hire for a wagon+drag?
doesnt say anything about wagon and drag in ads.
artics implied.

greg50:
important one.
repayment on truck.

Just over £200/week over 5 years going by Maritime’s own advert in CM, so there’s another 300/week saving over your numbers.

the ad says £270 per week vat inclusive.
i hadnt read the add but would expect if i went to scania to buy a new truck,i would end up paying approx 500 per week.

greg50:
leaves £500.

Well we’ve saved £140 on the fuel, £100 cos we don’t need a trailer and £300 on the finance repayments, so that £500 is now a bit over £1000.

I’m not trying to say it’s definitely a good idea, and I’ve no intention of doing it myself, just I feel some of your numbers are a bit off target.

greg50:

Now on that one we agree. Like any company their sole purpose is to make money for their shareholders. The management wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t try to buy in their supplies for the lowest price possible, and at the end of the day the subbies are just another cost to them that needs to be reduced as much as possible.

Paul

someone says there is just one man williams is his name,regardless.he is for number 1 and thats mr williams,any of us would be second on the list.
i wasnt that far wrong and i hadnt seen the ad in commercial motor.

im not sure about quoting after each sentence.
the previous post has my input in the white section as well.
sorry for any confusion.
must learn how to play with these computers.

repton.
not having a go at you but unless you ever had your own truck,you wouldnt have an idea of the pitfalls and they are many.
i been an owner driver for more years than i care to remember and i do have a good idea of costs,thats why i am not an od anymore.

i tried maritime for 3 weeks its a total disaster :blush: :blush: