Starting up new In haulage

Hi all

Fairly recently was thinking bout starting sub contract work for maritime has anyone done this before for maritime and is it worth investing in a truck n trailer because as you wud no they not cheap to purchase and den there’s the insurance. Don’t really mind spending dat sort money if it means I can make money back otherwise jus means getting into lots of financial debt.
Can anyone please help either if you have previously worked for dat company or no any better.

Many thanks

In a word: NO.

Take the time to search this recurring question on here. :neutral_face:

Don’t do it you can make a profit but it won’t be much over the summer the work is good but November to march is rubbish we ran at a loss but that why we left them they promise the world but you get nothing

After looking at the figures given by maritime der is good profit to be made. Havin spoken to Tom cole at maritime he is willing To offer guaranteed wrk.

Thank you guys this info is very helpful

All I will say take the risk but have a back up to go to as the best payed subbi work is not advatised

Angus25:
Don’t do it you can make a profit but it won’t be much over the summer the work is good but November to march is rubbish we ran at a loss but that why we left them they promise the world but you get nothing

This is one of the points I put across to their resource manager and he promised to make me over 2k a week with guaranteed work given I buy a truck from dem with their buy with work. I looked at few of their trucks an dey are ridiculously over priced.

And if my truck is parked up for dat week then I quote his exact words were " we will pay you out our own pocket" so that’s wat made me think its a good deal. Will be going to see Tom in a few weeks to talk more in details

don’t go for the ‘buy with work’ scheme

the trucks are over priced, and unless they have changed it, which i very much doubt, the guarantee was for 1400 miles if doing the tramping on distance work

the rates when i started on there were £1.15 per mile, when the work went quiet a few years ago, they cut the rates to £1.12 per mile

they do pay a fuel surcharge on top of the PPM rate, BUT, they will tell you that the PPM plus the fuel surcharge is your actual PPM, and it is not, if the cost of fuel goes down, then so does the surcharge, whereas, the base rate PPM is the same

as for the guarantee, they will do whatever they can to get out of paying it to you

you cannot refuse a job

you must be available 5 days per week

they have been known to ‘forget’ to pay for a job on a good week, and pay it on a bad week, that way, you have earned more than the guarantee without them adding to it

before any mods start getting worried about the above comment, this is fact and can be backed up

you would be better off buying a truck away from Maritime, and sourcing your own work

shuttlespanker:
don’t go for the ‘buy with work’ scheme

the trucks are over priced, and unless they have changed it, which i very much doubt, the guarantee was for 1400 miles if doing the tramping on distance work

the rates when i started on there were £1.15 per mile, when the work went quiet a few years ago, they cut the rates to £1.12 per mile

they do pay a fuel surcharge on top of the PPM rate, BUT, they will tell you that the PPM plus the fuel surcharge is your actual PPM, and it is not, if the cost of fuel goes down, then so does the surcharge, whereas, the base rate PPM is the same

as for the guarantee, they will do whatever they can to get out of paying it to you

you cannot refuse a job

you must be available 5 days per week

they have been known to ‘forget’ to pay for a job on a good week, and pay it on a bad week, that way, you have earned more than the guarantee without them adding to it

before any mods start getting worried about the above comment, this is fact and can be backed up

you would be better off buying a truck away from Maritime, and sourcing your own work

I agree with the above we got the truck with work was ok for a couple of months we needed £2000 a week to make a profit we would make 1800 no matter how much we would work but if you don’t believe us then go ahead but ask people with exsperance of it not the sales man

To be honest I find it hard to believe that you can make money on £2k/week, even traction work, unless the mileage involved to earn that is very low. You don’t have to do many miles to spend £1000 on fuel these days and so once that and wages are taken off you’re only going to have a few hundred quid left for everything else.

Paul

I said a profit I didn’t say a big one that’s why I’m with some one else for more money

Subbie:
dem den dat day

I’m sorry but the what the ■■■■ is wrong with you? :unamused:

Subbie:
der

:bulb:

He’s Oirish Rob.

Ken.

I personally wouldn’t bother for 2k a week,if you can actually make that pulling a box! Your profit will be ■■■■■■:laughing:

Hey guys this is great advise seeing as I’m new to haulage der is lot to learn lol

Shuttlespanker great bit advice:
[/quote]
What would be best way of doing so, any tips plz

Thanks guys 

there are numerous truck dealers that will sell you a truck, once you have got the O Licence approved

you will not get finance on a truck without the O Licence

as for work, ask around

there is more money in doing local work than there is in doing the distance work

Rob K:

Subbie:
dem den dat day

I’m sorry but the what the [zb] is wrong with you? :unamused:

Subbie:
der

:bulb:

:smiley: :smiley:

Subbie:
Hey guys this is great advise seeing as I’m new to haulage der is lot to learn lol

Shuttlespanker great bit advice:

What would be best way of doing so, any tips plz

Thanks guys 
[/quote]
Open your eyes ! Look how many owner drivers have sold up, being a subbie puts you at the bottom of the food chain, if it was profitable THEY would be doing it…i stopped after 31 years and after 14 months shut the books and was still owed by a few …its a crap way to lose lots of money, if you have ready cash now…BUY HOUSES in Ireland, at least they will be worth more in ten years.

3 wheeler:
Open your eyes ! Look how many owner drivers have sold up, being a subbie puts you at the bottom of the food chain, if it was profitable THEY would be doing it…i stopped after 31 years and after 14 months shut the books and was still owed by a few …its a crap way to lose lots of money, if you have ready cash now…BUY HOUSES in Ireland, at least they will be worth more in ten years.

Given the state of the financial markets and the direction the EU is heading I think I’d prefer to take my chances running a truck. :open_mouth:

Money can be made as a subbi but as I said the good ones don’t advatise the company I subbi for now I got recommended by a friend