Own sat nav/maps expected?

Wheel Nut:
I wonder how some folks who have only got a satnav manage when they get in a truck with a knackered cig lighter socket. Do they go home again?

Defect the lorry like a driver lat night who defected 1 as phone didnt work so he couldnt play his ituens :unamused: :unamused:

dar1976:
On a slightly off topic but on similar lines.

I often get into lorries with aux sockets that are too small for my sat nav plug.

Stick it in the cigarette lighter instead of the aux socket then. They all work on 12/24 volts so it doesn’t matter which one you use and I’ve never seen a truck without at least a standard cigarette lighter type socket. Your Sat Nav is 5 volts anyway and the lead is just a dropper.

Wheel Nut:
I wonder how some folks who have only got a satnav manage when they get in a truck with a knackered cig lighter socket. Do they go home again?

Never hear of a map running out of battery when the ■■■ lighters’ broken. When the arse end falls out of the big satellite up in space many lorry drivers in this country are gonna be well and truly shafted.

Saaamon:

Wheel Nut:

Never hear of a map running out of battery when the ■■■ lighters’ broken. When the arse end falls out of the big satellite up in space many lorry drivers in this country are gonna be well and truly shafted.

My satnav only lasted about 3 hours on battery anyway, so more the reason to just use them to find your way into a drop. I am not knocking them, just saying don’t rely on them if you can’t read a map :wink:

You’ll be surprised how many places aren’t recogised by sat-nav, or in an A-Z.
Local posties have been a huge help on numerous occasions with obscure delivery addersses that I’ve never been to before. In today’s case though it was a local beat bobby.
Oh, how he laughed… :unamused:

“DS Smith,
King Edward Park,
Lockerbie”

I had visions of reversing up some CID bod’s driveway. :neutral_face:

I always make a bee line for posties, but if they dont know, your well zbed.

Dont always trust a sat nav mate have maps as well I have a tom tom 720 that has been updated to truck and still have probs somtimes with post codes … also if you can phone the customer before hand is a good idea as i have been given wronge address in the past have been given the customers HQ address instead of delivery adress … … so now i always ring and check 1st .
I had a great job 2 weeks ago from agent sent me to EFS Burnley their own drivers get personal tom tom sat navs and i was afraid that the 24volt system would blow mine But i thought i would try it as it fitted in the fixed holder and it worked like a dream ( Just slot in and slot out ) no messing with Ciggy lighter sockets .ect . best of luck mate you will probably start on 7.5 Ton like I did but soon you move up to bigger stuff belive me once they are let down by some one …or its a shift no one else wants …

Saaamon:

Wheel Nut:

Funny, I remember my old TM saying to me when I’d just passed my Class 1 “If they ever close the motorway network, half the drivers would be ■■■■■■!” 3 weeks later, there was that god awful crash & fire on the M4 in fog and it was closed for about a week. 4 of the drivers in our firm couldn’t find their way to Reading! :open_mouth:

Makes you wonder really.

Wheel Nut:

I use it as a backup as opposed to a rule and would never dream of going home if satnav didn’t work. There are always people to ask or garages with local maps for sale. Phillips truck atlas is my preferred routefinder

Coffeeholic:

dar1976:
On a slightly off topic but on similar lines.

I often get into lorries with aux sockets that are too small for my sat nav plug.

Stick it in the cigarette lighter instead of the aux socket then. They all work on 12/24 volts so it doesn’t matter which one you use and I’ve never seen a truck without at least a standard cigarette lighter type socket. Your Sat Nav is 5 volts anyway and the lead is just a dropper.

I hate to argue but I must just get the crap ones without them then

we had a guy who worked at my last place ( 3663 ) who was going to peterborough he get in truck find no socket for sat nav so asked to change truck office chuck a map at him and say there u go so he stroms off in massive tant anyway sometime later a lad who set off after him caught him up on the a1 north just past scotch corner :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I once had a driver call me at 4am to say he couldn’t work, after rubbing the sleep form my eyes I asked why, his reply was “my sat nav is broken”. . . .

I will give you all 3 guesses what my client said when I called em up and told them.

Another interesting Sat-Nav story, one of my major clients, big supermarket, will not allow the use of Sat-Nav’s at all. One of my drivers had an accident whilst working for them, he ended up going to the hospital to be checked over, whilst there the client recovered the vehicle, found that the driver had been using a Sat-Nav, and they banned him from their site . . . .

GoDave:
I once had a driver call me at 4am to say he couldn’t work, after rubbing the sleep form my eyes I asked why, his reply was “my sat nav is broken”. . . .

I will give you all 3 guesses what my client said when I called em up and told them.

Another interesting Sat-Nav story, one of my major clients, big supermarket, will not allow the use of Sat-Nav’s at all. One of my drivers had an accident whilst working for them, he ended up going to the hospital to be checked over, whilst there the client recovered the vehicle, found that the driver had been using a Sat-Nav, and they banned him from their site . . . .

would that b tesco

cliffton 27:
would that b tesco

Ssshhhhh :smiley: :smiley:

Why are tesco so anti sat nav? Was it him using it at the time of the crash?

Coffeeholic:
…Your Sat Nav is 5 volts anyway and the lead is just a dropper.

Not quite true - certainly some Garmin leads have some very strange internal connections - which prevent the use of a standard mini-USB charger.

Have Sat Nav and would not willingly be without it - currently using a Garmin 465T - but would not be without a local map.

The [zb] who write the delivery addresses on our notes have a number of neat tricks.

1 - NO POSTCODE.
2 - Postcode from the account invoice address - rather than the delivery address.
3 - The whole correct address for the invoice - rather than the delivery address.
4 - Mis-spell the town, or street
5 - Spell the street correctly but forget to mention the town - everywhere in Britain has a Victoria Road.
6 - King of the Hill - the completely spurious - “Hot Strip Plant, Steel Works, Ebbw Vale”
This closed ten years ago and the place where it was now has a new hospital and three building sites - but unless you keep a small TARDIS in your bag, working it out can be fun.

Saaamon:

cos a few lads have had bumps and scrapes going into them pluss they give u a printout of google maps with the way in from all directions and to be fair there pretty good i heard a few lads have hit a bridge in widness trying to get into a store there and i did hear one lad hit it and wrote on his statment i thought id give it a go :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

cliffton 27:

Saaamon:

i did hear one lad hit it and wrote on his statment i thought id give it a go :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

What just in case it had got a bit higher since it was built? :laughing:

Well I have the best sat nav going does anyone what it free to good home

Mark 1 eyeball :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: whatever happened to it