Bit of advice really from you experienced truckers

l recently started driving for teso, just part time (agency) this is my first HGV job, only driven 7.5t horseboxes before. Got to grips with hours, cages, paperwork etc. There is one thing that is making me want to jack it in…my drops are all in London and every single time l have got horribly lost…to the point of thinking if l eventually get back to the Depot l quit…driving,loading,unloading no problem…but the stress of getting lost is terrible…please help and give me your advice… Thanks :neutral_face:

It’s some consolation that you are driving for Tesco because you’ll find that their supermarkets are easy to spot compared to some other obscure locations you could be looking for.It’s not something that anyone can help you with,if you’re the type of person who gets stressed then you will get stressed.Just make sure that you have got the correct delivery addresses before you set off.It’s just something that will ease with experience,no simple cure.Look at it this way,you’re getting paid and it’s not you’re diesel.Once you know where you’re going the roads will seem a lot shorter.

you should get a risk assessment for every drop you have which tells you how to get there,

Don’t they give you a detailed map of where you’re going to ?
When I used to work for Sainsburys ( agency ) they gave each driver a " map book " that was pretty much spot on,for London and surrounding areas.
It’s all part and parcel of being a driver,I’m afraid,just think of all the experience you’re getting and being paid for it,jobs a good un. :wink:

SatNav?

Just a thought…

Ask another driver before you set off, everyone has tips for remembering drops whether it is by pub names, car dealers or football grounds.

Even the village idiot will know where Tesco is

Ask the other drivers to tell you exactly where the delivery entrance is for each one especially the last three roads needed to get to it

I deliver to a lot of branches of jewson and was able to download the branch locations on to my sat nav which makes it easier. im sure there would be poi’s for tesco shops if you have a tom tom. keep at it though once you know where they are it makes it a lot less stressful :wink:

Look at it this way, Soon you will have pretty much covered every store in town so you will probably find yourself going back to the same locations again and again thus making it easier. I know its alot of stores to remember but u will find yourself reconising familiar places once u get nearer to your drop.
Dont quit because of this, as said above, as long as you have the right address on your paperwork u WILL find it eventually.

grovegarage:
l recently started driving for teso, just part time (agency) this is my first HGV job, only driven 7.5t horseboxes before. Got to grips with hours, cages, paperwork etc. There is one thing that is making me want to jack it in…my drops are all in London and every single time l have got horribly lost…to the point of thinking if l eventually get back to the Depot l quit…driving,loading,unloading no problem…but the stress of getting lost is terrible…please help and give me your advice… Thanks :neutral_face:

I seem to remember from your previous posts that Tesco currently have you in rigids… I would therefore assume that you are doing mainly Metro & Express stores? If so, i’d bare with it because it will probably get a lot easier once you have proved yourself and hopefully get promoted to artics where you will do a lot of the bigger superstores which are usually close to motorway junctions. I have worked on the backdoor at a big Tesco superstore for 4 years and 99% of deliveries are full loads and its all tipped and reloaded easily via dock (although some stores require tail lifts).

ROG:
Ask the other drivers to tell you exactly where the delivery entrance is for each one especially the last three roads needed to get to it

Or when you get there, park outside, go into the shop and ask where to go… :wink:

Look on the bright side ,you will sail through the knowledge go buy yourself a taxi.

We all stress at some point, it’s part of the job. I turn the air blue in my cab when i ■■■■ up a reverse and get to my 6th attempt, even though i’ve done it 100 times before in one hit :laughing:

Just take a few minutes out, chill out, and de- stress yourself :smiley: