New driver just saying hi

Passed my test back in September and have found this forum a big help especially with tachograph rules. Found work straight after passing a couple of months ago but still learning :smiley:

Hi and welcome.

Fire away with any questions.

Pleased you got a job straight away; encouraging for other newbies.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thank you Pete, it’s only agency work but it’s decent money and I’m getting experience which is the main thing. It’s all store deliveries and there’s been a few that have got me panicking if I can get it backed into the yard or onto the bay but just try to keep calm and take my time and it’s all been ok so far. Use an app called truckertimer on my phone to watch my hours and breaks after I got 2 infringements and it’s been a godsend. It covers WTD breaks as well, highly recommended. Had a very near miss when I was stupid enough to go into central London when I was due a break within an hour and a half. Thought one of the 2 stores I was delivering to would let me take a break on the bay afterwards but that was a no. With literally about 2 minutes to go I pulled up on a side road near batter sea dogs home and explained my situation to a traffic warden and he said I could park there (on yellow lines :confused: ) and take my break as long as I stayed with the truck. Top bloke!! Met some great people out on the road so far, and a few idiots too lol.

Couple of bits of advice to any other new drivers, if you’re not sure if you’re in the right place or if it looks a bit tight to get into then I’d park the truck up and walk in and have a look round first and make sure you’ve got the right service area or bay. It’s a lot easier than having to reverse out onto a main road a couple of times before you get the right one :blush: Google Earth is handy to check out where you’re going to and any problems you might have especially on street view mode. And think about where and when you’re going to take your breaks don’t leave it till the last minute.

Hi Rince, what are you driving mate (artic/rigid) and what happens when you get a infringement? Thanks for sharing your experience btw…

Welcome to the forum Rincewind, I know it’s a bit wrong (& don’t tell anyone else) but taking breaks in London can be a nightmare, my little trick is- (especially if your nearing your 6 hours WTD) when you pull up onto a bay or back door, stick it on rest straight away, then ring the bell/kick the door/shout for the bloody checker, but don’t rush it, take your time because they will, you can usually get a 15 on your card (even with 1 pallet, by the time you’ve secured the rest of em’ & built the air back up,wink wink) you can usually get in & out of London within 3 to 4 hours driving time with all the stop starting (especially with a 2nd generation taco, 2013 onwards) then just take the other 30 at Scratchwood, South Mimms, Heston etc.