Owed money - suggestions on getting paid

I’m owed money for a week of work done. 8 weeks later and there’s still no sign of payment coming my way despite numerous phone calls.

What action would you take to get paid up?

hmcourts-service.gov.uk/info … /index.htm

have a look at that. its the small claims procedure. get it started and nine times out of ten it will be paid within a few days.

if it does go to court and they lose they pay your costs as well so if they owe you money they should fork out for it.

have you still got your tacho’s for the work? (i’m guessing not it is nearly 8 weeks ago)

sorry

wrong link. try this one

hmcourts-service.gov.uk/onli … /index.htm

One more Phone call to them, but include the following:

Unless the outstanding wages are paid within 7 days a letter will be sent to the Area Traffic Commissioner advising that the company is unable to settle their debts and may need investigating to ensure roadworthiness is not being compromised.

The Commissioners take great interest in companies not paying their bills as its an early sign that they may be in financial difficulty

If no joy with that, simply commence proceedings in the Small Claims Court, no company wants a County Court Judgement on their records as it affects credit facilities for 6 years afterwards.

Davey Driver:
If no joy with that, simply commence proceedings in the Small Claims Court, no company wants a County Court Judgement on their records as it affects credit facilities for 6 years afterwards.

In all seriousness, yes, I have done the Small Claims Court thing twice myself, once against a non-paying employer and once against a used-car business.

I won both cases, although in the first, the haulier went right as far as the hearing, where he just made a fool of himself. Trickier was the used-car bod who simply ignored each and every letter the Court sent him.

Make sure that if you do this, you can add a reasonable amount for expenses- for the used-car bod I put down £450 (and don’t forget you are owed holiday pay).

Thanks Giblsa, but I’m not in the UK.

Small claims here is pants. You can only chase a max €2K, and it’s only for consumer problems such as duff holidays, etc. So I can’t use it.

500 yoyos is a lot of money to me and the guy is taking the ■■■■.

Harry’s 1st idea was good, but the OH doesn’t agree (which bugs me as I’d enjoy it :laughing: ).

I would have got VOSA on the blower if I were there, but the RSA here need to get off their pie-arses and do some work. I’m sitting on the tachos anyway.

have you tried going to see them? doing it face to face sometimes works.

if it doesnt at least you dont have to drive down there to batter the ■■■■ out of him! :laughing: :laughing:

or try a solicitor. you might have to pay them but at least you get some of your money not lose the lot!

25km away and I’d rather not be wasting petrol at the moment. I might try it, but it’s guessing when there would be someone about and at what time.

Solicitor already seen. He told me “small claims”, court told me “no can do”. Spoke again to solicitor “civil claim”, but that’s involves throwing more money at the problem, with no certainty of result.

I didn’t get paid for some jobs i did so my brother and i did another job for them.
We kept the trailer and sold the load.
Go and work for him again.
Then you can do what i did. It will make you feel good.
My brother was the person who the money was owed to so he sold the trailer to me for £1.00. Then i sold it for £5000.00.
DEBT COVERED.

limeyphil:
I didn’t get paid for some jobs i did so my brother and i did another job for them.
My brother was the person who the money was owed to so he sold the trailer to me for £1.00. Then i sold it for £5000.00.
DEBT COVERED.

Yeah that’s great advice.

What a load of old nonsense! I don’t believe a word of it.

You really are a stupid man.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Andy 1961

I know you don’t like me. But why do you have to type so much rubbish about me and others?
Do you have an inferiority complex?
You really need to get soom help.
I wouldn’t speak this way about another forum member but you are crossing the line week in week out.
You should be banned.
However what i did was completely legal.

limeyphil:
DEBT COVERED.

THE ABOVE IS LEGAL IS IT…■■?

You’ve just confirmed your stupidity.

macplaxton:
Solicitor already seen. He told me “small claims”, court told me “no can do”. Spoke again to solicitor “civil claim”, but that’s involves throwing more money at the problem, with no certainty of result.

You have to lay out money, but if you have worked for someone and they haven’t paid you, then you have a watertight case and you will get your money back, and any Court fees you paid.

That’s the situation here and I’m sure it’s the same in the ROI.

Explore your Small Claims rights on the net- there is plenty of information available about ROI Law, I have seen plenty myself.

Just accept that if you want your money, you might have to lay out more money. Speculate to Accumulate, as it were. But try to get the money by negotiation first, of course.

Or buy a cricket bat. Or a baseball bat. I once read that in Northern Ireland (I know the ROI is a different country to NI) that 10,000 baseball bats are sold each year, despite the number of baseball matches carried out in NI per year being “nil”.

Andy 1961

GROW UP.

limeyphil:

“Distraint” can be legal if undertaken in the correct way.

limeyphil:
DEBT COVERED.

But this isn’t it.

However, if you got the money owing to you, then “all’s well that ends well”.

limeyphil, not wanting to doubt your honesty. But your advice seems completely illegal.
However if you maintain that what you did is legal, can you please explain, as I am sure there are many of us who could use this system to recover outstanding debts etc.

edited as I misread posters name in qoutes.

limeyphil:
DEBT COVERED.

Both the bold bits contradict what you said :unamused: :unamused:

So your saying he sold the trailer to you therefore committing THEFT !!!

You knowingly paid £1.00 for a Stolen Trailer so you would be guilty of

RECEIVING STOLEN GOODS / HANDLING STOLEN GOODS

You then Sold the Trailer KNOWINGLY SELLING STOLEN GOODS

And of course the owner never reported the trailer as stolen

FFS Grow up you would not have a leg to stand on !!! :unamused: :unamused:

By the Way wipe that greeny stuff off the corner of your Mouth, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

limeyphil:
DEBT COVERED.

Surely that is theft on your brothers part and handling stolen goods on yours!!!

Harry Monk:
Explore your Small Claims rights on the net- there is plenty of information available about ROI Law, I have seen plenty myself.

Been there, seen it (www.courts.ie):
"To be eligible to use the procedure, you, the “consumer” must have bought the goods or services (or the service) for private use from someone selling them in the course of business.

The procedure is not available for use by one business person against another."

I don’t qualify as a “consumer” so can’t use the procedure.

Much as I’d love to throw money at it, I ain’t exactly rolling in it myself with the patchy & limited agency work I’m being offered at the minute.

On a side note, I seen in the local rag that he’s looking for a driver at the minute. Paying them might help keeping them me thinks.