Wages owed! Advise please

Has anyone had problems getting wages that are owed to them after leaving a company? In particular I worked for them for six weeks, handed in and did a weeks notice as per the book, instead of walking out the day I was offered something better. The owe me ten days pay plus a week in hand that they kept from the first months pay that was never mentioned! A fair bit of money to me. They left me in the ■■■■ as I expected and was told I would get my P45 and wages at the end of the month! (June). I have repeatedly sent emails to HR with promises of looking into it! Still no answers, all gone quite!!! Don’t know what the next step is? Any advise? Do I contact the small claim court? I don’t have a lot of money to pay for solicitors due to being left high and dry with out any money for a month, I’m still recovering.

I would probably try visiting the office and seeing the manager.

Small claims court will cost you £140, you can do the whole thing online now I believe (aside from the actual court appearance).

You’ll get that money back from the defendant if you win the case and any reasonable costs you may have incurred to bring the case to court. Sadly, one of the hardest things to do in business is get cash from someone who has no intention of paying you. From my own experience of three court wins against non payers, only two of them coughed up. I did all the paperwork myself there’s very little law involved. What I did find though was every judge I sat in front of viewed me as the ‘good guy’ in the court room. If you have a positive paper chain of evidence in your favour, there’s only one decision the judge can give.

You forgot to include the holiday pay as well.

Any communication with them now should have a paper trail. No phone calls - only letter or email.
Write to them outlining how much you have worked out you are owed and give them a time limit to pay (14 days should be more than reasonable) explain that if you are now paid after this time then you will have no choice but to issue court proceedings to claim your money.
Courts don’t like people using them as a first stop without having tried to solve the problem amicably first.

Gunz:
Has anyone had problems getting wages that are owed to them after leaving a company? In particular I worked for them for six weeks, handed in and did a weeks notice as per the book, instead of walking out the day I was offered something better. The owe me ten days pay plus a week in hand that they kept from the first months pay that was never mentioned! A fair bit of money to me. They left me in the [zb] as I expected and was told I would get my P45 and wages at the end of the month! (June). I have repeatedly sent emails to HR with promises of looking into it! Still no answers, all gone quite!!! Don’t know what the next step is? Any advise? Do I contact the small claim court? I don’t have a lot of money to pay for solicitors due to being left high and dry with out any money for a month, I’m still recovering.

Do you have car insurance and pay for legal cover If so speak to them

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

m1cks:
Any communication with them now should have a paper trail. No phone calls - only letter or email.
Write to them outlining how much you have worked out you are owed and give them a time limit to pay (14 days should be more than reasonable) explain that if you are now paid after this time then you will have no choice but to issue court proceedings to claim your money.
Courts don’t like people using them as a first stop without having tried to solve the problem amicably first.

+1

Having just successfully sued someone for money owed, it is now done by MCOL, (Money Claim Online.)

Write to to your former employer and send it by recorded delivery so you get proof it has arrived. In your letter, set YOUR deadline for payment, and state that if money is not received in full by that date, they leave you with no alternative but to pursue it by the legal system.

DO NOT be afraid of these people. If they don’t pay, then carry out your threat. Initially it will cost you about £60 to go through MCOL, but that is added to their bill as costs so you dont lose out.

Trust me. Been there, seen it and got the t-shirt.

Ken.

moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

If you need to go the court route… don’t forget to factor in costs for your time for things like writing emails, printing letters, general messing about. Someone I know won a similar case a while ago and the Judge deemed £19 an hour as reasonable costs. Over the months/ weeks it adds up (he got around £500 costs if I recall correctly). Make sure you let the company know these costs will be added to any claim against them.

Tell them unless they pay up, you WILL go the court route, word your letter to that effect. I figure they will cough up before you go the court route unless they are totally stupid.

Eric Rambler:

Take a baseball bat too.

Generally, these type of people will ignore you until a point where they can not ignore you. This may be formal proceedings, or you making a complete nuisance of yourself with visits to the office etc…

Don’t give up, that’s what they want.

Malky80:

Eric Rambler:

Take a baseball bat too.

take a witness,ask the person responsible why they have not paid you…then do the everything recorded delivery in writing stuff…remember and get your mate to try and record if id it looks like good entertainment and show it on here…lets be 1 up on youtube for a change…its a bit late to flog the tank of diesel etc…I had to negotiate once with a scumbag now bankrupt and suspended sentence…it was easier negotiating whilst still in possession of the truck.i got paid,but the diesel,batteries,and bling would have got sold if I hadn’t before he would have found me…and on the off chance …get it right up you fergal,scumbag of the highest degree, :smiling_imp:

There was a thread on here recently about something similar.

I’m in a similar situation ref my last employer but this is what I pay my £3.30week Union subs for.

Union Solicitor has issued grievance to employer and I’ve already an Industrial Tribunal case number via solicitor and also been contacted by Labour Relations Agency.

Wouldn’t entertain working as a truck driver without the backing of a Union!!![emoji41]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Don’t send anything recorded delivery, they can, and will, not accept it.

Send it first class with proof of postage from the PO. Your letter is deemed to have been received 2 working days after you posted it.

Do they have any important/big customers that you can contact so they know what type of people they are doing business with?

Malky80:

Eric Rambler:

Take a baseball bat too.

Well I’d make my presence felt.

Richard R:
Do they have any important/big customers that you can contact so they know what type of people they are doing business with?

I don’t think their customers will give a toss towards a single truck driver having his wages held back. As long as they’re getting a good service from the haulier then what do us pessants matter to them?

Malky80:

Eric Rambler:

Take a baseball bat too.[/quote
Well that’s one way to make sure it goes to court

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Richard R:

I don’t think their customers will give a toss towards a single truck driver having his wages held back. As long as they’re getting a good service from the haulier then what do us pessants matter to them?

A lot would depend on how the customer wants to be perceived in the media, if they think a supplier that they have a connection to could lead to some negative publicity they might and it is a might have a word to hush it up.
I saw something about a food producers employees protesting outside the head office of a supermarket I’m not sure which one but the gist was Said supplier told thier employees that they weren’t getting a pay rise due to what the supermarket were paying them.

mdourish:
Do you have car insurance and pay for legal cover If so speak to them

Very unlikely (I’d say “no chance” but someone would doubtless come up with an insurer who did cover it) to cover employment disputes. The vast majority of “legal expenses” extensions to motor insurance policies only cover costs relating to accidents, collisions etc involving the insured motor vehicle.

“Legal expenses” cover on a home insurance policy might well cover it though.