Wages owed! Advise please

Roymondo:

mdourish:
Do you have car insurance and pay for legal cover If so speak to them

Very unlikely (I’d say “no chance” but someone would doubtless come up with an insurer who did cover it) to cover employment disputes. The vast majority of “legal expenses” extensions to motor insurance policies only cover costs relating to accidents, collisions etc involving the insured motor vehicle.

“Legal expenses” cover on a home insurance policy might well cover it though.

It may well be covered under house insurance too ref dispute with employer.
It’s defo covered under those extra “legal protection cover” insurances you take out with car insurance for roughly £10/15yr.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:

Roymondo:

mdourish:
Do you have car insurance and pay for legal cover If so speak to them

Very unlikely (I’d say “no chance” but someone would doubtless come up with an insurer who did cover it) to cover employment disputes. The vast majority of “legal expenses” extensions to motor insurance policies only cover costs relating to accidents, collisions etc involving the insured motor vehicle.

“Legal expenses” cover on a home insurance policy might well cover it though.

It may well be covered under house insurance too ref dispute with employer.
It’s defo covered under those extra “legal protection cover” insurances you take out with car insurance for roughly £10/15yr.[emoji6]

I pay for legal cover on car insurance and that covers solicitors for anything I need from its usually an optional extra

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Escalate it steadily and predictably. Don’t make threats, make statements.

e.g. not “I will be forced to issue a claim blah blah” say something like “Should you be unable to settle the payment in full, before or on DATE, the next step will be a formal demand issued in hardcopy as a precursor to recovery action though the MCOL service.” No emotive language, just the driest, most boring factual speak you can muster before your eyes glue themselves shut in protest.

Email: State the facts. Ask them why you haven’t been paid yet.

Email: State the facts. Give them a 14 day deadline to resolve it, or you will produce a formal demand.

Post: Send the formal demand. State the facts, this time including the hardship that they have caused you. Attach a copy of your emails and their fob offs. Give them a 14 day deadline to resolve it, or you will issue a claim through MCOL.

MCOL: Hop online and fill the forms out, the fee should be about £60ish but you get that back from them when they lose.

Remember, in every communication you have with them, that your primary objective is to demonstrate to an overworked, jaded county judge that you’ve been Mr Reasonable Pants the whole time and this nasty big company is screwing you over for no reason.

They are betting on you not having the energy to push them for it.

Big Truck:

No, it “defo” is not covered by those policies. Check the wording and you will almost certainly see it clearly stated that it offers cover in relation to a motor accident (usually restricted to one involving “the insured vehicle”).

As I said, the “legal expenses” cover offered as an addition to your house insurance may well cover it, but if you’ve got a “motor legal” policy that does it I’d be very surprised. Certainly the online “main players” such as Direct Line, Admiral etc do not cover it.

mdourish:
I pay for legal cover on car insurance and that covers solicitors for anything I need from its usually an optional extra

Anything? Are you sure about that (i.e. you’ve actually read and understood the “What is covered” sections of the fine print)?

Roymondo:

mdourish:

Anything? Are you sure about that (i.e. you’ve actually read and understood the “What is covered” sections of the fine print)?

Yes I’m covered with more than legal services on my car insurance and it covers up to 100 thousand. I’m currently using it so sort my mum and grandads wills out

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Big Truck:

No, it “defo” is not covered by those policies. Check the wording and you will almost certainly see it clearly stated that it offers cover in relation to a motor accident (usually restricted to one involving “the insured vehicle”).

As I said, the “legal expenses” cover offered as an addition to your house insurance may well cover it, but if you’ve got a “motor legal” policy that does it I’d be very surprised. Certainly the online “main players” such as Direct Line, Admiral etc do not cover it.

About 5yrs ago I had a separate “MIS Claims” legal protection insurance policy which cost about £10 extra along with my car insurance.
it clearly stated within the policy document that it included “a legal dispute with your employer ref employment contract/loss of wages etc.”

MoreThan! are just as disingenuous as the rest of them. They offer Motor insurance, they offer a Legal Assistance Plan (at extra cost) which only covers legal expenses arising from a motor accident. They also provide “access to over 150 quality legal documents which can all be reviewed by our expert legal team.” i.e. Some standard letters which you are free to use (although they will check them for you - which is useful).

In response to a direct enquiry asking if their Legal Assistance Plan covers legal expenses for claims not relating to a motor accident, their response was “I’m afraid, any legal expenses not related to a motor accident will not be covered under legal assistance plan.” They also helpfully added that “Examples like tax disputes and employments disputes are covered under home insurance legal services.” Which is exactly what I said.

“MIS Claims” gives you a free initial consultation with a solicitor (up the value of £250), which is possibly worth having as they will advise what is or is not achievable. What it does NOT cover is legal costs, court fees etc. The idea being to steer you towards their (extra cost) professional services. As a business model it is quite successful.

On the other hand, Citizens Advice will provide the same service FOC.

Big Truck:
There was a thread on here recently about something similar.

I’m in a similar situation ref my last employer but this is what I pay my £3.30week Union subs for.

Union Solicitor has issued grievance to employer and I’ve already an Industrial Tribunal case number via solicitor and also been contacted by Labour Relations Agency.

Wouldn’t entertain working as a truck driver without the backing of a Union!!![emoji41]

Little update:

Industrial Tribunal hearing was set for next week but lo and behold Respondant came up with settlement figure for me the claimant ref wages withheld.

Score now stands@

Unite Union 4 Employers 0

£3.30week WELL spent!!![emoji41]

Well done Big Truck, union brief an excellent gun for aiming at swine who withold honestly earned wages.

m1cks:
Any communication with them now should have a paper trail. No phone calls - only letter or email.
Write to them outlining how much you have worked out you are owed and give them a time limit to pay (14 days should be more than reasonable) explain that if you are now paid after this time then you will have no choice but to issue court proceedings to claim your money.
Courts don’t like people using them as a first stop without having tried to solve the problem amicably first.

And make sure you keep copies of all communications :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Go in and ask once for the money ,then warn them that you will block the entrance if they don’t pay up ,we done it lots of times ,you can’t block vehicles in but you can block them out ,some people threaten to get the police but once they realise there’s nothing can be done they pay up .

Juddian:
Well done Big Truck, union brief an excellent gun for aiming at swine who withold honestly earned wages.

Cheers,
There are members on TN that wouldn’t have a good word to say about a Union but they have stood me VERY well over the last 25yrs or so!!!