Overturned truck @Huntingdon

Morning all, just got to get this off my chest so here goes.

At 5am this morning I joined the a14 at Huntingdon (top of thre average spped camera zone) towards Alconbury, coming off of the island I saw a truck on its side cab on the armco etc and in a very poor way. I along with the other two trucks in front of me stopped jumped out an ran across expecting the worse. I in the process rang the emergency services, and his boss(s)-I sub for the same firm he works for.

To cut along story short the guy was still in the truck but alive, we could see him and were talking to him though the crash barrer and truck windscree. The police turned up first and with are help they got onto the ns of the cab and though the door, opened it and thank God managed to pull the guy out of the cab-not a scratch on him but very very shuck up.

Anyway my rant is: I would just like to thank the 2 or possibly 3 trucks and cars that drove round the truck on the slip road and never stopped, we know this happed as the guy in front of me was the accident drivers uncle, he had rung his uncle when he was trapped to tell him he was trapped and unable to get out and that no one would stop to help, luckily for him his uncle was on a night out at/near Huntingdon, but by the time we got there that was 15-20 mins later.

Thats it my rant over, I just hope that if any of you guys who drove past read this, then you feel guilty for not helping and I pray to God that this never happens to you the next time that you need help in an emergency and that someone will stop for you and not do what you did. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THIS INDUSTRY AND THE PEOPLE IN IT WHEN YOU WONT EVEN STOP TO HELP SOMEONE IN TROUBLE? JUST THE USUAL I’M ALL RIGHT JACK - I SUSPECT!

it happens, ive had it happen to me when i feel off my bike. i lay in the middle of the road for about 5 mins just wondering what the hell had happened and only one person stopped to see if i was ok and that was a passing police woman.

its good to hear hes ok,

but shame on everyone else.

merc actros:
we know this happed as the guy in front of me was the accident drivers uncle, he had rung his uncle when he was trapped to tell him he was trapped and unable to get out and that no one would stop to help, luckily for him his uncle was on a night out at/near Huntingdon, but by the time we got there that was 15-20 mins later.

I take it the driver in the crashed lorry had rung his uncle ■■?

Whay did he not ring the police etc first or did he ■■?

Shouldn’t you post the Uncles telephone number in case anyone else has a crash, or would it be better if we continue to use the emergency services and ring 999.

Didnt take long for the funny comments to start did it!

Who knows what you do in a situation like that-you dont always do the obvious thing first do you.

merc actros:
Didnt take long for the funny comments to start did it!

Like what ■■?

Shouldn’t you post the Uncles telephone number in case anyone else has a crash, or would it be better if we continue to use the emergency services and ring 999.

good to hear he is alright - windy season is upon us i would hope someone would stopped if i went on my side.

As for the fella calling his uncle i can understand it - that experience is a shock to the system and you dont know your a-r-s-e from your elbow & your head is all over the place straight after it.

im sure 20 year ago perhaps you would get loads of people stopping - nowadays only a small minority would stop i’d expect. :unamused:

merc0447:
good to hear he is alright - windy season is upon us i would hope someone would stopped if i went on my side.

As for the fella calling his uncle i can understand it - that experience is a shock to the system and you dont know your a-r-s-e from your elbow & your head is all over the place straight after it.

im sure 20 year ago perhaps you would get loads of people stopping - nowadays only a small minority would stop i’d expect. :unamused:

In defence I think you’ll find a lot of people will NOT stop for fear of legal action against them if something went wrong as for the lorries not stopping you dont know what they have on board. I know that sounds a limp excuse but with the state of things at the moment if you got £**,**** of booze on board some people wont stop Its just not in there interest to stop and then find someone has followed them and taken advantage of the RTC to take the truck and load. I know its a sorry state of things but it does happen and its happening more and more

merc actros:

Could be worth a try, saves a ticket if old bill turn up and book you for damaging the armco, oops you’ll get a bill for that anyway :confused: .

Look on the bright side/only side, he came out of it uninjured without a scratch which is really all the matters in the long run :slight_smile: ,

Have to agree society is pretty poor in the way it drives past situations but usually if someone stops then everyone else drives by assuming everything is in hand, unless they are off duty E/S people or nurses,docs etc and it looks bad, then you might get a quick “everything ok/need a hand” before they continue.

It has to be considered that if the accident looks bad , some people would not have a clue and may hinder things or be worried about what they may see.

I don’t like blood for a start :confused:

merc actros:
. WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THIS INDUSTRY AND THE PEOPLE IN IT WHEN YOU WONT EVEN STOP TO HELP SOMEONE IN TROUBLE? JUST THE USUAL I’M ALL RIGHT JACK - I SUSPECT!

I KNOW !!!

I was called to an overturned tipper.A truck driver who had stopped said that a tipper from the same company was in front of him and just drove past it.
He obviously didnt know that his colleague was laying dead in the cab.
You would expect a colleague from the same company to stop and see whats happening.

extrucker:
I was called to an overturned tipper.A truck driver who had stopped said that a tipper from the same company was in front of him and just drove past it.
He obviously didnt know that his colleague was laying dead in the cab.
You would expect a colleague from the same company to stop and see whats happening.

Probably guarantee he was an owner driver :unamused:

Ever seen the film hell drivers (or something like it) Glad to be out of it :slight_smile:

Other drivers drove past because there was already someone on the scene, unless you prefer that every vehicle stops and blocks the road, so that,

1. the emergency services cannot get through.
  2. the recovery truck cannot clear the road.
  3. too many cooks spoil the broth.

I would prefer the trained Emergency services to be on the scene quickly rather than some ham fisted truck driver trying to pull me out without knowing my injuries.

nick2008:
I take it the driver in the crashed lorry had rung his uncle ■■?

Whay did he not ring the police etc first or did he ■■?

I dont suppose there’s any chance the poor guy was in shock :unamused:

Well done merc actros, good man.

Tiger.

How do you know that those truckers that passed didnt dial 999 on their phones and were told help was on the way :question: :question:

I’ve rung up before when passing an accident as i could see people had already stopped but felt i needed to make sure someone had dialled 999 because people may forgett to in the heat of the moment and try and help the crash victims and I was told by operator thank you for your call but help was en-route,

They could of given them extra details, how many vehicles etc etc, sometimes info they get can be initially sketchy at best.

As has been said they could see people had stopped and what could they do…

If i had passed said accident and i could see other people had already stopped i would dial 999 (and i believe this can be done legally on a hand held if you cant pull over■■?) and contiune because i would feel their was nothing else i could do.

Another perspective would you stop if your saw a car was in a ditch to check no one was in side it?

pecjam23:
but felt i needed to make sure someone had dialled 999 because people may forgett to

Highly unlikely.

pecjam23:
They could of given them extra details, how many vehicles etc etc, sometimes info they get can be initially sketchy at best.

When what is really needed is an accurate ‘casualty assessment’ which you ain’t going to be able to do without stopping. However, this may entail confronting blood and gore which, for the majority of the public in general, is something that is too much to endure. :unamused:

pecjam23:
I was told by operator thank you for your call but help was en-route,

Whilst, no doubt, under their breath muttering, “Another ■■■■■■!” Or some local variation. :wink:

Mulitple calls that add little or nothing of value only serve to clog up the system. Even, perhaps, to the extent of preventing information that is valuable to the situation being quickly passed on. :bulb:

The worst are the the ones that ponder and ■■■■ about to such an extent that, when they do get around to phoning, the call goes to an adjacent Control Room area. Which then wastes time with the one Control Room having to phone another. :imp:

The best assesment for 999 is look around.
If people are on scene then it’s highly likely the call has or is being made.
If you are first hand witness then it’s highly likely you will be the first caller.

Lots of people don’t stop . It happens.
Seen it loads of times.
I stop if I ,am first hand witness and check if people are ok , phone emergency services and then when possible get on my way.

re; ringing 999

A couple of years ago I was parked on a break when a car overturned right in front of me and slid to a halt on it’s roof. I ran straight over to be confronted with a young couple hanging upside down and screaming for help. Whilst trying to calm the couple down and assesing the situation ( I am not trained in any way for this ) countless cars drove AROUND the poor sods and me and carried on their merry way !
After a short while both occupants where out and the male driver became very aggressive , so I backed off , made sure the girl was ok and called 999.
When the emergency services arrived I spoke to the PC dealing and she said they got 2 calls to the incident.
I was one of them …so how many no marks drove past an overturned car with a bloke lying on his belly trying to help, PEOPLE JUST DON’T CARE ANYMORE,

So to Merc Actros , nice one for stopping mate , I know how you feel and I hope the drivers ok.

To you others who feel the need for sarcasm or critisism…no need :bulb:
…[/b]

Just like last night, a girl gets off my bus, walks in front of me and without bothering to look stepped out and got hit by a car, only 1 car stopped because she saw somebody lying in the road everybody else drove past and had a good gawp… :smiling_imp:
And yes I dialled 999 for the ambulance, which turned up 10 minutes later but 40 minutes later for the police to arrive… :unamused: