Overturned truck @Huntingdon

On a fire marshall course I was told about the Oasis type place on the IOM that went up in smoke, amongst the many mistakes that led to this horrifying tragedy, the first call that the Fire Brigade received (many minutes after the incident started) was not from the staff/ member of public or even on the IOM, BUT from a bloody ship on it’s way into Liverpool! The official line from the fire brigade is call us, if your not the first caller you may have info that other callers did not give, if you don’t then don’t be offended if we’re a little short, if it turns out we’re not required call us back, we’ll still attend mind you but our crews can turn the blues & twos off and slow down, BUT PLEASE CALL US.

Sounds like common sense to me, and I dare say the above goes for all the E/S’s.

were on timed bookings so wouldnt of been able to stop or the company would of been fined

were on timed bookings so wouldnt of been able to stop or the company would of been fined

please tell me that’s an attempt at humour Ady :unamused:

Ditto

Krankee,i think you’re being a little bit unfair on Pecjam.Several people may stop to offer assistance,all thinking one of the others has called 999.
The more details get,the bigger picture the services have and the better rsponse required.
I do not know of any operator that minds taking calls ‘with good intent’.
One of the biggest problems we have is wrong locations being given,so the more calls we get with the same location,the more likely it is THAT location.
People can do silly things when in shock,and that goes for witness’s as well as people initially involved.

A very sad situation in my opinion.
I have cradled a man in my arms as he died as a result of a traffic accident, I just didn`t want him to be alone as he died, thats what I would like if it ever happened to me…I think that they call it respect.
On this day of all days we would all do well to remember that!

Unfortunately these days, it appears that life is cheap…We get the society that we deserve I guess. :frowning:

I am not too keen on English people and reports like this make me even more reluctant to respect them.
And yes, I am English, but at this particular point in time not too proud. :frowning:

speedyguy:

extrucker:
I was called to an overturned tipper.A truck driver who had stopped said that a tipper from the same company was in front of him and just drove past it.
He obviously didnt know that his colleague was laying dead in the cab.
You would expect a colleague from the same company to stop and see whats happening.

Probably guarantee he was an owner driver :unamused:

Ever seen the film hell drivers (or something like it) Glad to be out of it :slight_smile:

WTF IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!!! :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

I see this thread is highlighting an important issue

There are people in this country that care

and ’ people ’ who just don’t give a toss :smiling_imp:

In the original post, there were already 3 people on the scene, the boss had been informed and the emergency services had been summoned. Even the Uncle had been contacted to come and assist. How many more bystanders do you need blocking the road?

As for the sarcasm and critisism then it is commendable that you did help release the people in the overturned car. Some people would worry that they may do more harm than good in case of a spinal injury.

Well done,

Wheel nut , If you READ the original post he says

along with the other two trucks in front of me stopped jumped out an ran across expecting the worse. I in the process rang the emergency services,

and

he had rung his uncle when he was trapped to tell him he was trapped and unable to get out and that no one would stop to help,

so when Merc arrived there was NO-ONE on scene and the driver has alreadt said NO-ONE had stopped to help,
what would you have done , seriously drove on ■■

And thaks for the comment about about what I saw and did , I wish I was as PERFECT AS YOU MATE :smiling_imp:

shade:
Wheel nut , If you READ the original post he says

along with the other two trucks in front of me stopped jumped out an
what would you have done , seriously drove on ■■

And thaks for the comment about about what I saw and did , I wish I was as PERFECT AS YOU MATE :smiling_imp:

I wouldnt drive on, no,

What i am saying is that too many vehicles stopping and sticking there oar in would not help with the bloke trapped in the cab if the fire engine or crane couldnt get through

Easy fellas, lets not fight. Shame on those that did drive past, but who knows what their excuses are. Either way the fella came out with out a scratch. And as for the comment about owner drivers?

What a knob you are speedy.

Nuff said Rob,

Apologies Wheel Nut.

Ill just make this clear so everyone knows what happened.

There were 2 trucks in front of me, the guys uncle and a lad driving a smiths crisps truck, we pulled off of the lights at the top of the a14 and went down the slip road towards Alconbury. I was fully loaded they were either mt of very light, so pulled away from me, as I came around the corner onto the slip there it all was. No other vehicles/people were there only the guy on his side, we were the 1st ones to stop. The police arrived an closed the slip road with us on it-away from the emergency services, may I add before anyone mentions about blocking the road up for them too.

My rant was why didnt anyone stop for him BEFORE we 3 arrived an the scene?

Anyway the lad is ok, got out of hospital yesterday,. They reckon its all due to the fact he was weraing his seatbelt. The truck is a differnt matter however. Still trucks will repair wont they-lives wont and thats all that matters in the great scheme of things, at least he got to go home!

MR VAIN:

speedyguy:

extrucker:
I was called to an overturned tipper.A truck driver who had stopped said that a tipper from the same company was in front of him and just drove past it.
You would expect a colleague from the same company to stop and see whats happening.

Ever seen the film hell drivers (or something like it) Glad to be out of it :slight_smile:

WTF IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN!!! :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

After working in the transport and construction game for over 20 years (supervisor/load planner etc) over 10 of them as an O/D, there are many (not all) O/D’S that would overtake/skip on a wheelwash, cut across one another at traffic lights and get up to very dodgy practices including truck vandalism all in the name of the extra load :unamused:

As i say glad to be out of it, that’s what i mean :slight_smile:

MR VAIN:
Easy fellas, lets not fight. And as for the comment about owner drivers?

What a knob you are speedy.

Read the first sentence of your post,

then the last sentence

I thought Trucknet was trying to get over the infantile personal attacks on posters :unamused:

As i said mucho experience of owner drivers :sunglasses:

A few years ago I was at a mates house when a guy knocked on the door asking for help. His clothes were covered in mud and torn. Apparently he had run his ■■■■■■ estate off a local country road and cartwheeled it into a ditch. When we got to it it was upside down, standing on its nose, at a 45 degree angle leaning up against a tree! My mate used his range rover to drag it back onto its wheels and tow him back to his house, about 5 minutes away.

Apparently, the guy had crashed and was trapped in the car for 15 minutes. He couldnt open any of the doors and had to repeadedly kick a window to smash it and wriggle out into the ditch. 4 cars drove past while he was desperately trying to escape- all of them slowed down to have a good look at the trapped driver but nobody stopped to help!

Im sure that people would help if they knew it would make a difference- surely nobody wants to see someone possibly die from lack of medical attention? Perhaps they dont want to be seen as a “busybody”- butting into someone elses affairs? I hope that if im in the same situation id be one of the first to help out.

speedyguy:

extrucker:

Well it makes sense if you think about it. He wouldn’t have been able to see it through the half inch gap in his frilly curtains! :laughing: