Overheight warning signs

followed a salvesens waggon down the a46 from leicester yesterday, as we came down to bingham roundabout the over height warning sign came on[ trailer did look high ] .
i expected him to take the diversion through bingham town centre for over height trucks [ bridge on a46 to newark ], but he just carried on , didnt brake for bridge[ i did , expecting big bang], just flew off up a46.
which made me think , what leway is there on the warning signs, must be some, he obviously knew his height to ignore the warning , not sure even though i know my height id ignore a warning sign flashing

I use to set those lights off regularly with my CB aerial although it never hit the bridge.

I think the beams were a bit too sensitive

“Blackwall Tunnel”

On the South Circular, just south of Kew bridge, there’s a 4.5m bridge with sensors either side - I can set off the northbound one with a 4.5m trailer but the southbound one ignores me with the same trailer. Must admit I slowed down the first few times but now I just sail through - it’s fun watching following vehicles back-off when the warning lights flash. (& yes, I do carry a tape measure in case I get a different trailer).

Harry Monk Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:01 pm Post subject:

“Blackwall Tunnel”

Once apon-a-time long long ago on my way to the great north from london decided as it was late at night that id use the Blackwall tunnel
now i had loaded in the nederlands the land of 4m bridges and tunnels
so at about 2am hardly any traffic about on my meery way when the overhight signs lit up( cant be me i thought) so I carry on!! the traffic lights change to stop the traffic and i go thro on amber!! into the tunnel alone
around the tight bends missing the “clonkers” in the right lane
anyway in those days the new duel carragway was not built so it was round the houses to the M11
about 20mins later all lit up blue behind me by a police volvo estate car so i pull over to let it pass,only it doesnt pass but park behind me!!

“mornin officer” i say, his reply was" did you just drive thro the B tunnel? about 20 mins ago i tell him
he said he went into the fruit market looking for me
so yes i say any problem?
PC you didnt divert for the overhight sigm
me im not too high
PC you went thro a red light
me it was amber i was carrying 22 tonn of papper reels
PC then you were speeding the lights are computer controlled if you were doing 30mph
me OH fair cop but im still only 4 mtr high
pc its your lucky night because im on my own and i couldnt trust you to hold the otherend of my tape messure :smiley:
he took my details and said he was going to do another lap of the tunnel and if there was as much as a broken bulb in the tunnel i’d better look out