bridge strikes

this bridge now has massive flashing warning signs “vehicle overheight” and STIIL the cullina wagon hit it…i live only a couple of minutes away from this bridge and whenever theres a strike im always late getting to work…grr.only last week i blocked the road off in my car just before the bridge as a artic was just about to go under the bridge…he didnt have a clue what was going to happen 50yrds down the road…muppet,i even asked him when he stopped what his height was and the reply was 15.00 ft…not even a word of thank you!..■■■■

lorry12.jpg

lorry22.jpg

lorry32.jpg

lorry11.jpg

lorry10.jpg

lorry9.jpg

lorry8.jpg

lorry7.jpg

lorry6.jpg

Just out of interest, where is the bridge?

52.553002,-2.051053 type that in to google maps

27 views and not one comment like ‘Was the driver a ■■■■■■■ agency man?’ :wink:

Yes agency - coming back from Weetabix (Wellingborough) so god knows why he was on that road anyway

“Overheight Vehicle” signs are a waste of time because they are far from accurate. When I used to travel on the A52 at Bingham with a 14 ‘8" trailer the sign used to light up, the bridge was marked as 15’ 3". Likewise on A5 at Hinckley, same trailer 15’ 0" bridge, sign lights up, pass under it with no problems.

Doesn’t look like 13’ 6" to me.

The Morgan freight motor looks to be running at 4 metres (plus - although it’s hard to say for sure given the weight is now all on the nearside - looks to me like he’s dropped the trailer suspension to get under) a 4 metre outfit should just squeeze under a 4.1 bridge (although my ■■■ would be very tight if i attempted it) If that is the case, the driver should be blameless, as there no offence if his vehicle is lower than the posted bridge height.

The UK pallets truck is entirely different matter… looks like that used to be a double decker - quite frankly I’m impressed he managed to get it all the way through!

Given the number of strikes it has, seems that the bridge could be incorrectly marked. Mind you a 4m trailer (or any for that matter) does sit a bit higher on a 3 axle unit than it does on a 4-wheeler

That bridge must be on the top ten hit list. Glad I only run at 2 heights, unless I’m empty skell or doing an oversize

most of them should have passed under a 4.1 metre bridge, and look at the road. the tarmac rises up.
i think the local council/highways people need to re measure it.

Culina has made a right pigs ear of that, he must have freaked out when he hit it then crashed into that tree for good measure :laughing:

With all they hits (plus probably more not photoed) would it not be worth tha RAILWAYS putting a hight bar before they got to the bridge ? so all they do is hit that and set of lights maybe raise bollards / railway style gates close over ■■?
A lot cheaper than bridge repairs / roads clossed ?

Fallmonk:
With all they hits (plus probably more not photoed) would it not be worth tha RAILWAYS putting a hight bar before they got to the bridge ? so all they do is hit that and set of lights maybe raise bollards / railway style gates close over ■■?

then the cullina driver will hit the height bar, panic, and hit the bloody bridge. :laughing:

Licence holders aplenty.

Most bridge strikes would be avoided if vehicles were no more than 4.0m high on UK roads…!

Pimpdaddy:
Most bridge strikes would be avoided if vehicles were no more than 4.0m high on UK roads…!

Here here! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

limeyphil:

Fallmonk:

then the cullina driver will hit the height bar, panic, and hit the bloody bridge. :laughing:

How fast was he tramping? The vehicle has travelled some distance from the bridge strike before going tree hugging!

elcamino:
52.553002,-2.051053 type that in to google maps

Interestingly the road does’t like up to its name!

merc0447:
Culina has made a right pigs ear of that, he must have freaked out when he hit it then crashed into that tree for good measure :laughing:

Too right, he’s also wrecked a perfectly good motor.

waddy640:
“Overheight Vehicle” signs are a waste of time because they are far from accurate. When I used to travel on the A52 at Bingham with a 14 ‘8" trailer the sign used to light up, the bridge was marked as 15’ 3". Likewise on A5 at Hinckley, same trailer 15’ 0" bridge, sign lights up, pass under it with no problems.

I always set it off north of jn 17 M4 but fly under the bridge.

4.0m should fly under a marked 4.1m I wouldn’t give it a second thought.

I don’t understand why they’ve not dug down the road another 10-15cm the majority would go under then.