Here's yet another bridge strike

I live quite near to this bridge and it gets hit roughly 3 or 4 times a year. It has recently had the full low bridge signs makeover, yet still someone hit it again. Read his explanation, he thought it was higher than the signed 13’ 9" :unamused:
hinckleytimes.net/news/local … ge-6799534
How high does the trailer look? about 14’ 2" to me.

sheer stupidity
I know the height of my trailer
but the sign may be wrong

I like the little sign on the right :wink: :wink:

nick2008:
I like the little sign on the right :wink: :wink:

But still some of us fail to see it…

Now if that big sign on the right doesn’t stop you what will? I was coming along the a49 last week and about a mile before a low bridge this big warning sign start flashing “overheight vehicle turn back” the bridge was 15ft and my height was 14.8ft, still pulled in a lay by to double check then carried on my way. But shouldn’t these sensors be compulsory on all bridges? Might stop a lot of accidents, but they need to be set up right so there not telling people under the height to turn around or it might cause abit to much chaos

this is why we need the Dcpc
if the bridge is signed with a red circle 4m and yours trucks 4.1m
it dont matter if the clearance is 5m you still aint allowed to pass

hitch:
this is why we need the Dcpc
if the bridge is signed with a red circle 4m and yours trucks 4.1m
it dont matter if the clearance is 5m you still aint allowed to pass

Bulldust! How could you possibly know that none of these bridge bashers have not attended DCPC? You could do your full 35 hrs & never cover signs. I’ve not done it & have managed to work out that if my trailer is higher than the bridge it will hit said bridge, I knew this before DCPC was thought of.

Have t agree with Slackbladder, if you don’t understand road signs the dcpc aint going to help.

I seen this very wagon and trailer going up the m6 last night.

Thereal-john:
I seen this very wagon and trailer going up the m6 last night.

Doing the walk of shame :smiley: :smiley:

In practical terms, I’d always want a safety margin of at least three inches, to allow for ridges in the roof of the unit, uneven road surface on the approach etc. Got to be better than putting the outfit out of action, letting the customer down plus hassles with police and insurance companies etc.

The one bridge on the a638 going towards wakefield gets hit a lot,theres flashing signs all over the place and a special diversion for it but it still gets hit alot :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

seth 70:
The one bridge on the a638 going towards wakefield gets hit a lot,theres flashing signs all over the place and a special diversion for it but it still gets hit alot :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I go under that one at least once a month. We run at 13’ 6 so I KNOW I can get under, but why do I duck everytime I go under? And what do I think that will achieve? :blush:

I must admit it does seem low when you get nearer ,i allways breath in for some reason,they have stuck a speed camera a bit further on in ackworth and the crafty gets have hid it really well so watch your speed its got u before u know it :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I cant understand drivers who fail to recognise bridge heights, why dont they believe the sign. As said earlier if a bridge has a sign showing 4m1 then thats the safe height to carry on and if your vehicle is 4m and you hit it, then you have a claim against the highways agency.
And someone even said the sign maybe wrong i doubt it very much and yet it never seems to amaze me the amount of foreigners who fail to see all of the markers leading to the Blackwall Tunnel as if they are immune.

See other thread re: HGV drivers not being paid enough and not valued!

This just proves some truck drivers are just plain thick !

Oh look!!! It’s not a Stobart wagon! :laughing: