over weight

i was talking to a truck driver today in fife and was based in fife.we got talking about one thing or another,he was saying that he got caught by the police at the weighbridge at carlisle.he was 8.5 ton over weight and when the fine came through it was 750 quid with no points added to licence.he is currently waiting for another fine to come through the post,this time he was 2.5 ton over the limit.he also said that he was coming up from england today and got sent to bury on the way home to pick up 1 pallet,but when he got there, there was 2pallets,this ment that it was going to put him over the weight limit,his attitude was sod it just put it on.i said what about the boss?he replied he don’t care all he’ll say is not again son.he then said that he had to come up through longtown so as he could avoid a certain weighbridge.why do we get driver’s who are hell bent on breaking the law so as some gaffer can get a few xtra quid,does he not realise that it’s him that suffers and has to pay the fine,whilst the boss will be laughing. :wink:

I know a few drivers like him!! one or two have even been in my charge!
I had to give a writen warning for one guy who did it all the time! :open_mouth:
problem was he couldn’t count! :confused: but my hand was forced. :cry:
Neither could the forkie at the loading bay :open_mouth:

The multy’s are quite strict on weight, quite often they is no advantage on carring too much weight because what happens is the next driver to pick up just goes back under weight!

That quite isn’t the same for small local or one man band Transport companies!

to me the crime isn’t so bad if you genuinely didn’t know!! sometimes the law is an ■■■, because its an absolote offence!

the thing is well tc,the person handing out the collections to the drivers also know the weight of the frieght b4 the driver does,so they should know when he is at his limit and should also leave him with a few hundred kg’s to spare just incase the weights are wrong.so if written warnings are issued then they get issued both directions,one to the driver for going over weight,and one to the transport man in office for putting to much onto one driver.i know the driver has the last say,but some people don’t think like we do,as far as they are concerned its a big truck with lots of space. :wink:

Agree with what your saying KK
We had 160 palletts to pick up with each driver told consignment numbers. OK it was on the phone! but when this driver arived at pick up, a number of his consignments weren’t ready! so, said driver phoned other drivers so he could pick up diffrent pallets allowing him to get on his merry way. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Because they were all coming back to hub for trans-shipping the driver decided it didnt matter :open_mouth:

Now funny thing is I like people to use their head, because I have worked for TM’s who say I pay you to drive and not to think! :open_mouth: (I am sure we all have)
to me rather than give this guy a writen warning, I would rather help teach him how to count!

If the guy could count and drove back with a full trailer he would have saved the company money because he wouldn’t have had to wait for hours and hours!

Top driver he was and he still works there :open_mouth: I don’t!!! :smiley:

I always thought that it was illegal to assist someone to break the law. & if I remember correctly the legislation covering overloads mentions those supervising & loading vehicles, but I guess it involves proving & thus work & our glorious school bully, tax collecting scumbag police don’t bother.

How about loading a fridge full of peat :open_mouth: ending up around 46t :open_mouth: all being pulled by a Scania 400 :open_mouth: