Overweight ! !

hi chaps,

I really need some advice because i really don’t know what to do…

ok i’m working for a local tipper company and they are constantly overloading us, and its not just a bit i suspect that this week im pulling away with the best part of 40 ton on the back of a 8 wheel. I have spoken the the transport manager and he says " its just what’s required for this job" and the boss says if you don’t like it [zb] off.

i know of one truck that went into a local landfill this week that was 45380.

Now i’m obviously concerned about getting pulled over and the risk it poses to other road users, but i know if i leave the next day they will have someone else behind the wheel doing the same thing. so im thinking more along the lines of the bosses getting done and not the drivers, does anyone know of if its possible to report this without dropping all the drivers in the dark an smelly stuff and also whats likely to happen if i get pulled with this sort of weight .

thamks for any advise.

I think i’m changing my mind about tipper work :grimacing:

if you report it and they catch you overloaded your still up ■■■■ creek without a paddle, I’ve heard these stories before where someone tips vosa the nod and they end up getting prosecuted along with everyone else. If you do dob them in make sure your on holidaay for a couple of weeks. I used to work for a chap pulling round timber, he had to drop his trailer to weigh it on a 50 tonne weighbridge because he was to heavy to register with the unit under.

You are working for a cowboy outfit mate. Its your licence, a few phone calls, and dissapearing for a weeks holiday/sick may help.
Difficult I know, but if you can get the word out around whats left of the enforcement agencies it may help your plight.

The question is how much value do you put on your licence strange but when i was tipping my boss didnt like overloading as less in the back ment more loads away =more money earned i think a week or 2 off and a few phone calls might be order not a nice thing to do i no but then its not nice for you risking your licence and a huge fine is it

Have an accident that far over weight and kill someone and you wont just be facing VOSA but some white haird judge and wormwood scrubs here you come, along with the gaffer.

As others have said, it’s your licence, plus, the fine is a LOT more than you can possibly be being paid.

Personally, I’d put it in writing that the weight issue needs sorting.

You’re legally ok if you go to the nearest weigh bridge, so if you got pulled outside your yard and the nearest weigh bridge is 1 mile away, you won’t get done - correct me if I’m wrong there lads, rather it was the correct info than the lad gettin’ done and saying Wayne said it’s ok.

If the weight issue isn’t sorted, take your next load to nearest weigh bridge, get it weighed and then refuse to move it due to the weight (not sure if you’re aloud to take it back to have some weight removed■■?)

But, I’d be lookin’ for another job, take a few quid less if you have to, you’ll still be quids in compared to a single fine - that 45 tonner would’ve been a 13k fine + anything else they could throw at you.

45380 on an 8 wheeler . . did it have greedy boards ?

youtube.com/watch?v=62-4B9yi … re=related

Too late fella you’ve been framed!

If you’ve got your facts right get a weight ticket from the nearest weighbridge you can find and make sure that it’s got the reg number on it then leave the job.At least that way the job centre won’t be able to stop your dole money for voluntarily leaving a job.

mazz:
I think i’m changing my mind about tipper work :grimacing:

Muckaway on 8 wheelers is notorious for this , unless you dont have an option avoid like the plague
(ive got my hat on waiting for the flak…someones bound to disagree :sunglasses: )

If you can get a job on artics paid hourly youre a lot better off jobs a doddle most of the time then

thanks to everyone for there advise. Will sleep on it and will keep you posted

easier said than done,but try getting on with a company that has onboard weighers fitted,within a few kilos of gross weight alarm sounds,drop the body drive off,simples :smiley:

I was at 49560kg the other day on 5 axles, still had 440kg spare :slight_smile:

Suedehead:

Not necessarily mate. Smiths’ 6 wheelers have 14m3 bodies on them so they can be loaded safely with a large loading shovel. Standard muckshifting bodies on 6 wheelers are around the 11 to 12m3 mark. Sand generally weighs a shade under 2 ton per cubic metre so it’s easy to see how you can be 5ton overweight. We’ve got weighloaders now. Site personnel used to hate them and I’ve actually dumped a load right in the site entrance (hence my signature) when a machine driver thought he’d put another bucketfull on as I was pulling away (I never went back and haven’t done anything for them since!)
I set the weigher a bit under 15 as I can carry almost 16, so get a bit of a safety gap then.

Muckaway:

Suedehead:

Not necessarily mate. Smiths’ 6 wheelers have 14m3 bodies on them so they can be loaded safely with a large loading shovel. Standard muckshifting bodies on 6 wheelers are around the 11 to 12m3 mark. Sand generally weighs a shade under 2 ton per cubic metre so it’s easy to see how you can be 5ton overweight. We’ve got weighloaders now. Site personnel used to hate them and I’ve actually dumped a load right in the site entrance (hence my signature) when a machine driver thought he’d put another bucketfull on as I was pulling away (I never went back and haven’t done anything for them since!)
I set the weigher a bit under 15 as I can carry almost 16, so get a bit of a safety gap then.

Whats top whack on an 8 wheeler ?(legally)

tare wheights varie but average 32 gross so tare usually around 12800 on a muck wagon tare a bit lighter if an ally body so average payload is around 19 ton on muck

Suedehead:

Muckaway:

Suedehead:

Whats top whack on an 8 wheeler ?(legally)

32t

mudmad:
hi chaps,

I really need some advice because i really don’t know what to do…

ok i’m working for a local tipper company and they are constantly overloading us, and its not just a bit i suspect that this week im pulling away with the best part of 40 ton on the back of a 8 wheel. I have spoken the the transport manager and he says " its just what’s required for this job" and the boss says if you don’t like it [zb] off.

i know of one truck that went into a local landfill this week that was 45380.

Now i’m obviously concerned about getting pulled over and the risk it poses to other road users, but i know if i leave the next day they will have someone else behind the wheel doing the same thing. so im thinking more along the lines of the bosses getting done and not the drivers, does anyone know of if its possible to report this without dropping all the drivers in the dark an smelly stuff and also whats likely to happen if i get pulled with this sort of weight .

are the other drivers also worried about being overweight, if not and they are continuing to run the risk, why are you concerned about them, its your license, your living, your family, and possibly somebody elses fasmily, if it suddenly goes wrong… take time off and make the phone call

I shouldn’t worry about dobbing anyone in, the weighbridge operator will probably have already done that. many prosecutions for overloading come from paperwork and computerised records found when the black hand gang move in :wink:

Public weighbridge operators have to keep the records for two years