Overweight ! !

try to save your weighbridge tickets for a week or two and then go see your boss, demand £5k hush money to not report them and insist on running under weight from then onwards and you won’t report them, ask for a pay rise as well… If they are as bad as you say they will probably like your bare faced cheek and pay up, if not just go to the local VOSA and say the tickets are from said company and they insist the (other) drivers go out overloaded.

i am not 100% sure about this but i have been told that the person who loads the truck is allso liable when over loaded if this is the case it may be worth telling the loader but to be honest if your companys not botherd best to just move on it aint worth it at the end of the day its your licence

Just bear in mind that they will probably guess it was you that dobbed them in if you decide to as you may be the only one that has complained about it. I would feel uncomfortable staying at a job knowing i’d grassed them up. Fair enough tipping the nod to the gestapo if you’ve already left for pastures new. Time to start applying for other jobs I would say then at least it’s not your problem anymore.

Silver_Surfer:
Just bear in mind that they will probably guess it was you that dobbed them in if you decide to as you may be the only one that has complained about it. I would feel uncomfortable staying at a job knowing i’d grassed them up. Fair enough tipping the nod to the gestapo if you’ve already left for pastures new. Time to start applying for other jobs I would say then at least it’s not your problem anymore.

The other problem is you may be droping yer work mates s in it as well if they start pulling your trucks i would be a bit uncomfortable doing that think i would just leave

The driver is responsible for the load although the operator would be prosecuted alongside the driver. I’ve heard there’s an amnesty either through VOSA or TC for whistleblowers should the company be prosecuted.
A piece of advice; Look in your tipper body for metresticks placed on the bodysides. Get a load on and note roughly how many cubic metres you have on by looking to see where the load is level to eg 16m3. Note this on waste transfer note (it must have by law the waste carriers license number on it or the company hauling it are at risk of prosecution plus you must write a ticket per load). Weigh the truck at the tip and if it’s overweight have slightly less loaded on next time. Note the metreage again. Even if you are over again if it’s less than before you at least have some defense to prove you were doing your best to eliminate the problem. I do this if i drive a truck without a working weighloader.
If you don’t have metresticks you could use a digital camera/phone camera to take pics of each load although I’d make sure the time and date were on them to match the tickets. I’ve done this and when I was banned from job i showed TM the ticket (just over) and the dated pic and was told I was in the clear.

Muckaway:
The driver is responsible for the load although the operator would be prosecuted alongside the driver. I’ve heard there’s an amnesty either through VOSA or TC for whistleblowers should the company be prosecuted.
A piece of advice; Look in your tipper body for metresticks placed on the bodysides. Get a load on and note roughly how many cubic metres you have on by looking to see where the load is level to eg 16m3. Note this on waste transfer note (it must have by law the waste carriers license number on it or the company hauling it are at risk of prosecution plus you must write a ticket per load). Weigh the truck at the tip and if it’s overweight have slightly less loaded on next time. Note the metreage again. Even if you are over again if it’s less than before you at least have some defense to prove you were doing your best to eliminate the problem. I do this if i drive a truck without a working weighloader.
If you don’t have metresticks you could use a digital camera/phone camera to take pics of each load although I’d make sure the time and date were on them to match the tickets. I’ve done this and when I was banned from job i showed TM the ticket (just over) and the dated pic and was told I was in the clear.

But he was nigh on 13t overweight :confused:

Suedehead:

Muckaway:

But he was nigh on 13t overweight :confused:

But on tippers a tonne does’nt mean the same thing as it does everywhere else.A cubic tonne means 3 not 1. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It seems that mudmads gaffer doesn’t really care about the weights as long as the trucks are busy and running full, but for anyone else a good machine operator can be your friend, some have bucket weighers, some can just tell from the engine but they are the best judge to tell you what their bucket holds

45380 that’s seriously overweight, if,god forbid a fatal accident accident happened their is a massive paper trail that would incriminate all the drivers and the operator. That much weight would seriously affect the handling and braking, is the gaffer being payed by the load or the tonne? if he is being paid by the load then he is a total idiot, I think weigh loaders are worth every penny. To dob or not to dob is the question, that’s up to you, me I’d be looking for another job. The problem is at the moment, jobs are a bit thin on the ground, when you weigh the load if it is the correct weight next time you re-load stand on the steps behind the cab and watch the machine driver when you judge the correct amount is in the body tell the driver no more. Part of the skill of tipper driving is being able to approximately guess weights, better to be a bit under than over, if V.O.S.A weigh you at 45380 you are in the **** deep enough that you will require a snorkel.

mudmad:
hi chaps,

i know of one truck that went into a local landfill this week that was 45380.

ok i got to ask but what was he taking to land fill to weigh that much ?
reason i ask is that i do this every day on 8 wheeler big hooks and we struggle to get even close to max gross with 40 yarders on full of waste .
if you leave the weigh bridge with anything over max gros you or he deserve to be hung .
we also have a bulker 8 wheeler that would struggle to get anything even close to that weight even with soil on.

mike68:
45380 that’s seriously overweight, if,god forbid a fatal accident accident happened their is a massive paper trail that would incriminate all the drivers and the operator. That much weight would seriously affect the handling and braking, is the gaffer being payed by the load or the tonne? if he is being paid by the load then he is a total idiot, I think weigh loaders are worth every penny. To dob or not to dob is the question, that’s up to you, me I’d be looking for another job. The problem is at the moment, jobs are a bit thin on the ground, when you weigh the load if it is the correct weight next time you re-load stand on the steps behind the cab and watch the machine driver when you judge the correct amount is in the body tell the driver no more. Part of the skill of tipper driving is being able to approximately guess weights, better to be a bit under than over, if V.O.S.A weigh you at 45380 you are in the **** deep enough that you will require a snorkel.

They do you at that weight your buried and quiet righly so can you imaging the carnage with that weight if you had an acident

mike68:

If you get done at that weight they would bury yer simple answer is muck shoots and sudh shouildent be allowed to accept loads that heavy if they turned you away it would stop overloaded tippers are dangerouse its that simple

bjd:

mike68:

If you get done at that weight they would bury yer simple answer is muck shoots and sudh shouildent be allowed to accept loads that heavy if they turned you away it would stop overloaded tippers are dangerouse its that simple

Viridor at Ardley wont accept any overload. They contact your firm and they have to fax/email an acknowledgement you are over and they accept liability for it-arse covering at it’s best as it’s one of the worst tips to work into.

The weigh bridge operator would be losing his licence as well ,running bent does no one any favours.

alamcculloch:
The weigh bridge operator would be losing his licence as well ,running bent does no one any favours.

Our weighbridge ops only have authority to stop our own trucks and any subbies working for us from taking out overweight loads. VOSA and Trading Standards have told him that it is the drivers responsibility for the weight and as long as the weights on the tickets have not been doctored, they’re in the clear. Good job really, as the Caravan Using Nomadic Travellers are always going out well over when “just in de area wurkin fa Murphys on de pipeline job wi some gravel left over”…

mudmad:
hi chaps,

I really need some advice because i really don’t know what to do…

ok i’m working for a local tipper company and they are constantly overloading us, and its not just a bit i suspect that this week im pulling away with the best part of 40 ton on the back of a 8 wheel. I have spoken the the transport manager and he says " its just what’s required for this job" and the boss says if you don’t like it [zb] off.

Now i’m obviously concerned about getting pulled over and the risk it poses to other road users, but i know if i leave the next day they will have someone else behind the wheel doing the same thing. so im thinking more along the lines of the bosses getting done and not the drivers, does anyone know of if its possible to report this without dropping all the drivers in the dark an smelly stuff and also whats likely to happen if i get pulled with this sort of weight .

thamks for any advise.

Hello Mudmad

I take it you mean a lorry grossed 45380 tonnes not carried 45380. Even then he was 13380kgs over if he can carry 20 tonnes. To be honest, I’d be surprised if the tipping gear would tip that sort of overweight but there we go.

My advice to you is to name & shame if you’re forced into running overweight to keep your jobs. It simply isn’t worth running the risk of the consequences you & your workmates would be facing if any of you were involved in an accident on the road or on site.

The majority of muckaway lorries in our area have on board weighers & quarries around here won’t allow you out if you’re more than 20kilos(TWENTY) overweight!! It’s a pain in the ■■■ sometimes but you’re always legal & so should everyone be.

I see you give no indication of who you work for or even what area you run overweight in. I’d like to think that a VOSA officer would pick up on this thread on here or someone do you a favour & report your situation. I hope you get this sorted before someone ends up in serious trouble. Your transport manager deserves to be sacked & have his CPC shredded in my opinion.

BB

I remember the brown trousers moment the first time I took a loaded but legal tipper down a hill.I would go nowhere in an overloaded one,no thank you.

mudmad:
hi chaps,

I really need some advice because i really don’t know what to do…

ok i’m working for a local tipper company and they are constantly overloading us, and its not just a bit i suspect that this week im pulling away with the best part of 40 ton on the back of a 8 wheel. I have spoken the the transport manager and he says " its just what’s required for this job" and the boss says if you don’t like it [zb] off.

Now i’m obviously concerned about getting pulled over and the risk it poses to other road users, but i know if i leave the next day they will have someone else behind the wheel doing the same thing. so im thinking more along the lines of the bosses getting done and not the drivers, does anyone know of if its possible to report this without dropping all the drivers in the dark an smelly stuff and also whats likely to happen if i get pulled with this sort of weight .

thamks for any advise.

:open_mouth: They’d have to be paying me some serious amounts of banana money for me to drive them weights. :astonished:

Wheel Nut:
I shouldn’t worry about dobbing anyone in, the weighbridge operator will probably have already done that. many prosecutions for overloading come from paperwork and computerised records found when the black hand gang move in :wink:

Public weighbridge operators have to keep the records for two years

Come on Malc, you know that is bollox as much as I do. The bridge op will be on some nice back-handers from the owner of the tipper outfit, guaranteed.

13tonne is a ridiculous overweight. Frankly, I would have thought 45tonnes on an 8x4 would be bending things (i.e.the springs) and knackering the ram every time you tip.

I don’t get these firms, the cost of the damage you’ll do to a tipper at those weights would surely negate any rate that they could achieve by carrying that kind of weight?

My advice is to quit and report them. They are taking jobs away from proper hauliers trying to do the job legally. Imagine how many loads they save by doing the job so bent. The drivers who might lose their jobs might be ■■■■■■ off but they need to see the bigger picture. Crash at those weights and you’ll be going to jail and you won’t be passing ‘go’. :open_mouth: