Over loading

Hi some advice from our legal eagle friends on here regarding over loading, if you are in a tipper or refuse type vehicle with an on board weighing system which reads you are under the max gross weight and you are pulled in and found to be over on a weigh bridge would the driver be prosecuted

Quite simple really. Get 44t put on in a yard with a bridge. Check what number the weigher says and use that number in the future when on sites without a bridge. Also you have some margin before any fines etc

My answer would be - possibly. But he would have a good defence if he wanted to dispute it.

Depends on the certificate for the on board self weighing and if it’s been correctly calibrated.

Potentially the driver could be fined or if overloaded by enough prosecuted.

Chances are if your on board weighing said it was OK but the DVSA machine said not, then the actual difference would be small as it is just a calibration difference. Up to 5% or 1t over and you should be OK. If your on board system is out by more than 5% there’s a major problem.

If you were issued a fixed penalty - contest it and go to court with your evidence from your on board system and they may let you off.

Just remember over loaded vehicles are destroying our superb roads and as far as the government are concerned you should really be shot.

Thanks for the reply’s , these are fitted to refuse vehicles and the system is supposed to cut the vehicle packing mechanism out but sometimes doesn’t work and can overload by up 1,500 kg, I am just concerned what would happen to me if caught

I loaded an artic a few years back at a rubbish transfer station (with no scales), took it 30 mile up the road to a land fill to be told, “I carnt let you in” why I asked, well our weighbridge go’s up to 52 ton and your off the scale :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , I just said that I’ve drove here not knowing my weight but now that I know I aint going no where, bloody hour and half later they let me in at the 52 ton weight :laughing: :laughing:

That was 1 hell of a load :open_mouth: we have had the vosa people sat at the weighbridge when we went in but they were the council sites not seen them at the private sites, it is a worry when no matter what company do they do not seem able to get these things working accurately

dreamlands2001:
I loaded an artic a few years back at a rubbish transfer station (with no scales), took it 30 mile up the road to a land fill to be told, “I carnt let you in” why I asked, well our weighbridge go’s up to 52 ton and your off the scale :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , I just said that I’ve drove here not knowing my weight but now that I know I aint going no where, bloody hour and half later they let me in at the 52 ton weight :laughing: :laughing:

I had the same, about 15 years ago, loaded at Cawleys, Wellingborough & the weigh bridge was only big enough for an 8 wheeler, so they used to weigh the tractor then the trailer & add them together, trouble was, the manager was useless at maths & he said that I was 40 tons, so I toodled off to Newton Longville (about 25 miles away) pulled on the weighbridge & it weighed 50 tons [emoji15] no wonder I was down to 10 mph on the hills [emoji1] (F10 Volvo)

We had a new walking floor not used one before was loading plasterboard in our yard , loaded by another lad , it had a gauge for the weight but we didn’t know what reading it was supposed to be . So I took it up the road to a weighbridge , it wouldn’t read it as it was over 50 tonnes :open_mouth: , so took it back unloaded a good bit but it was still not registering , third time on the bridge and it was 45 tonnes I think :laughing:
Reckon it must of been about 56 tonnes :unamused:
Gauge now marked with max weight but it’s hit and miss load needs to be evenly disrtibuted and trailer level . I presume the gauge just reads the air bag pressure on the suspension ?..? Does anyone know ?
Cheers Mike

Mikey D:
We had a new walking floor not used one before was loading plasterboard in our yard , loaded by another lad , it had a gauge for the weight but we didn’t know what reading it was supposed to be . So I took it up the road to a weighbridge , it wouldn’t read it as it was over 50 tonnes :open_mouth: , so took it back unloaded a good bit but it was still not registering , third time on the bridge and it was 45 tonnes I think :laughing:
Gauge now marked with max weight but it’s hit and miss load needs to be evenly disrtibuted and trailer level . I presume the gauge just reads the air bag pressure on the suspension ?..? Does anyone know ?
Cheers Mike

They bolt Load Cell Sensors, between the Chassis & the Body, here’s a website that explains it-http://www.griffith-elder.com/ge_scales/on-board-truck-scales

Mikey D:
Cheers Mike

its taken off the middle axel airbag pressure the trouble is if you are on uneven ground it will throw it out, also if you are loaded heavy on the front that will give you a false reading.
With mine I normally just run over the 5 and that’s on a legra trailer but I have a light unit, our V8 scannys run at 5 and normally they are spot on.

Thanks wildfire , i thought it was airbag pressure , I did notice you need it evenly loaded and level ground for it to be accurate .
Got it Sussed with the plasterboard out of our yard (which is uneven where it’s loaded ) , 26 grabs worth per compartment ( between cross bars I mean ) so about 104 grabs in total .
Weight isn’t an issue with the animal bedding wood chip or scrap upvc window frames :wink:
Cheers Mike