Opinions on this map please

I am looking to buy a Truckers Atlas and have come across this one on Amazon UK.

Has anyone got one of these, or seen one before?

Link below

amazon.co.uk/Close-up-Trucke … SZDJYN2JVV

Thanks in advance for any opinions, suggestions

CLICK!

I’ve got one and it’s excellent for what it does but you wouldn’t want to use one as an everyday route planner as it’s just too large (and so is the scale).

£13.99 :open_mouth: i,ll make do with me £1.99 job from asda :smiley:

Harry Monk:
I’ve got one and it’s excellent for what it does but you wouldn’t want to use one as an everyday route planner as it’s just too large (and so is the scale).

It won’t be used as a route planner as such, I’ll just use it in conjunction with my TomTom.

We tend to go to some really far out places in the sticks delivering the doors at Premdor, it’ll mainly be used for spotting the 7.5ton limits and low bridges!

paul261267:
it’ll mainly be used for spotting the 7.5ton limits and low bridges!

The MK1 Eyeball is very good for that, better than any atlas in fact. :wink: :smiley:

Typical remark :unamused:

I meant for spotting them, before any ■■■■ ups are made! When you don’t know an area too well, mistakes can be made.

paul261267:
Typical remark :unamused:

I meant for spotting them, before any ■■■■ ups are made! When you don’t know an area too well, mistakes can be made.

It was a genuine remark. You already have a means of planning a route, your Tom Tom, and a means of spotting restrictions your eyes, so why waste money on another thing to do the same job?

A map or a Tom Tom both depend on the users abilities though :wink:

Ok then, I’ll give an example.

The other day I was in Ripon, my next drop was in Leyburn. I checked the map after setting the TomTom to the fastest route, it suggested using the A6061 (I think)

The route my sat nav had selected appeared to be the best possible, cutting a large corner off the journey, however about a mile or so from my destination I arrived at a pair of low (13ft) stone arches over the road, I was 13ft 6". I measured the height with my tape and found the actual height to be 13ft, I chanced it having a go at getting under (No choice, blind bend no-where to turn round) It went under with about 9 inches to spare.

If I’d had a LOW BRIDGE MAP, I’d have seen the restriction on that? Not rocket science eh? Sat navs are brilliant (In my opinion) But only to be used as a guide and not to be relied upon? And I have low bridge POI’s on there too, but mine is only set to alert at 500 yards.

montana man:

Paul:
And I have low bridge POI’s on there too, but mine is only set to alert at 500 yards

is it me :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

montana man:

montana man:

Paul:
And I have low bridge POI’s on there too, but mine is only set to alert at 500 yards

is it me :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :wink:

No, me as well. :wink: The MK1 eyeball works way beyond 500 metres. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had the misfortune of being within earshot of a numpty on the train the other day and he treated all within range to his take on SatNav. It went like this.

“I use a Satnav once but it’s back in the box and I’ll never use it again.”

At this point I am willing no one to ask why it’s back in the box. Oh crap, why did you say why Mr Stobart driver? :smiley: We now get to the problem with SatNav as far as he is concerned.

“I was following a route and it told me to turn right. I saw it was a 7.5t weight limit but thought, Oh well. A bit further on it told me to turn left, this time it was a 3.5t limit but I thought Oh well. I then had to take another left, it looked a bit tight but I took it. I got so badly stuck they had to cut a tree down so I could get out.” :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused: :smiley: “I’ll never use one again, I’ll stick to me maps. It’s safer.”

It was probably a MMTM © story but either way this guy needs sterilising to remove him from the gene pool if we are to have any hope for a future.

If you see a driver from XXXX XXXX Transport driving down a 3.5t limit with map in hand, fetch a chainsaw as he will likely need it.

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting a different result.

I think …

I don’t really understand what value the map would have had in the situation described. You said you got under with 9 inches to spare, but if you had the map, you wouldn’t have gone that way in the first place.

Wasn’t it worth the risk ?
Now you know you can get through and save a few miles off the trip.

I know that when I use the TomTom I always ask myself - “Do I feel Lucky ?”

I had to go to Argos on the A43, and I had the postcode, so I left it to TomTom.
Ended up driving through Rothwell, down a long lane and then found Argos right next to the 43 about 2 miles further down.

TomTom is ■■■■■ at postcodes. I use google maps now, and it lets you put the whole postcode in, and shows you exactly where that place is on the map. Then I fire up gps and it shows where I am in relation to the destination. After that, it’s up to me. That’s where gps is useful, telling you where you ARE, not telling you where to go.

BTW, I have one of those maps too. And it’s handy for resting on while you do your notes. I have had constructive use from it about 3 times in 2 months.

smoker:
TomTom is [zb] at postcodes. I use google maps now, and it lets you put the whole postcode in, and shows you exactly where that place is on the map. Then I fire up gps and it shows where I am in relation to the destination. After that, it’s up to me. That’s where gps is useful, telling you where you ARE, not telling you where to go.

How old is your TomTom? TomTom have had full UK postcode support since v5.0.

Incidentally, Google Maps uses Navteq maps, the same as many SatNav vendors (although TomTom uses TeleAtlas).

And IME, it’s reasonably good at telling you the route to take, although you do need to check it and not rely on it 100%. Of course, the same is true of a map, it’s just that some people seem to think that they can use a SatNav to replace their own (lack of) common sense and map-reading ability.

MrFlibble:

Yes, but I have had the same problem too, in that a poscode will not only cover the premises you wish to go to but also the tiny cul-de-sac behind it, and that’s where it decides to take you.

Harry Monk:

MrFlibble:

Yes, but I have had the same problem too, in that a poscode will not only cover the premises you wish to go to but also the tiny cul-de-sac behind it, and that’s where it decides to take you.

Surely in that situation the street name you want will be different to the cul-de-sac?

I have TomTom 6 for Pocket PC, and even if you put the whole postcode in, you still get the same result. You get no different reaction from it than by using just the first set of letters/numbers. If it were really using the whole postcode, it wouldn’t need to ask the road name would it ?

Once you get to the named road it says “you have reached your destination”.
Sometimes that is right on the money, other times it is miles off. Try putting in a postcode and Bath Road, Bristol. You end up on a different Bath Road than the one you are looking for ! (there are about 5 Bath roads in Bristol)

At least with Google, I can see where I am AND where the destination is, and I just have to get the two points to match up.

So I end up using TomTom to get to the general area, and at the first sign of trouble, switch to google maps and home in exactly, or use my accurate position to plot a course using a real map (checking for bridges etc).

It’s a big map but well worth it for the info. Much more useful than the standard Truckers map.

i have the AA truckers map book
a really derailed coolins road atlas(dont remember the name off the top of my head)
a garmin1 sat nav
and microsoft autoroute 2006 with gps thingy
and very rarely use them
the gps is good for guesstimating arrival times
autoroute is brilliant for finding where places are initially
the maps help me avoid low bridges
other than that i get by quite well just winging it