Old truck still working

I parked up at burtonwood services on the m62 next to this old truck which was pulling a comfortex trailer, got to say it was immaculate throughout, it puts to shame 99% of the motors at our place.

Not quite as old as the F88 that works on logs, but then the 88 is/was a bit more modern than that. I think there’s a red and white Atki still used in east Anglia on grain, though it’s been modified. If it does a days work and spares aint a problem, why scrap it? I’d bet a few old timers on here would drive one (I’d have a go).

codge123:
I parked up at burtonwood services on the m62 next to this old truck which was pulling a comfortex trailer, got to say it was immaculate throughout, it puts to shame 99% of the motors at our place.10

Love old motors but it doesnt say much for 99% of your fleet does it :laughing:

would that maybe be a show truck on its way or coming back from a show ?

Believe I’ve seen that (or one similar) at the Bromley motoring peagent in Kent. If its the one I’ve seen the trailer has been converted into a mobile home but you wouldn’t realise until you opened the rear shutter and see the patio doors behind :smiley:

If you want a real old truck still working, Alf Arrowsmith an Son of Market Drayton still run a 1963 Dodge D308 every day on cattle haulage.

Brilliant but that’s got to be a show truck, that’s to good to be working.

volvof10:
If you want a real old truck still working, Alf Arrowsmith an Son of Market Drayton still run a 1963 Dodge D308 every day on cattle haulage.

That was in CVC last year. Wychwood Brewery use a Bedford O-Type for fetes etc, and carry beer on it to sell-does that count? They’ve also got a TK that looks like a horsebox, but inside it’s a mobile bar.

I remember seeing this on the Trans Pennine Road Run back in August. It was displaying an O-Licence and I believe it still does work, allbeit on locals, I think.

The red and white Atki that Muckaway is referring to will be the HER 806N, belonging to Terry Godbold from Harleston. It is highly modified with it’s 14 litre ■■■■■■■ and 13 speed Fuller gearbox together with a rear lift axle.

Any driver out there who thinks their truck can do a quicker job than this motor should think again! It will do about 90mph on the flat!

Terry’s other claim to fame is that he owned the 240 Gardner powered Atki Borderer that now carries the Eddie Stobart livery. (KSC 999N) This was another flying machine which I found out when Terry let me drive it once!

And as some will know, I did the TPR last year in a similar motor as a passenger, and then drove it myself on the Sheffield rally at Meadowhall a month later.

I take my hat off to the men that used to drive them for a living, and would never moan about a modern truck again, but what an experience.

Yeah! We got it too easy these days Ken!

I got some stick this year about gear crunching - going from an iShift to a six speed David Brown is to say the least, a bit of a culture shock!

The Comfortex motor does still work, it doesnt do alot, more of a run out locally every now n then to keep it turned over.

Was told that in the cafes of old, an Atki driver could be spotted because of his hunched back!

there is a lovely daf 2800 over here that does a fair bit of work still,its owned by a bloke called o’kane who also has a couple of nice fh’s.

Somebody in Warwickshire still runs a V reg Bison tipper-saw it at Gaydon unless it’s now just a show truck but it was working a few years ago.