Old trasport cos

Brian Swindell, I worked there for a short while, someone here said '‘All the drivers were miserable’, well man I mean It was the worse place of employment I have ever come across for ‘moral’, he was a Ba----d. People change by the week, it really was a terrible place to work, worst I have ever seen. He disappeared a while ago, but I heard he still runs a couple of old battered units out of some small industrial site in cheshire. If it’s true he got what he deserved, a terrible employer.

HJi David…welcome to T/N…when i worked for S.A.S. we were based in Brom;ley…the fitter was called Robert…and i believe that he owned some shares in the company…maybe from Ruby and Allan !! i dont remember the Hooperman Incident…but i remember when we all had our houses raided by customs looking for tobacco…i think wally was the only one who got nicked…
There was a young lad there too called Russell…who i now work with…he has his own truck and pulls for Solstor…
sorry for the long delay in answering

Truckyboy

Did you ever load out of British Beef at Bamber Bridge around 81/82. SAS seemed to do all the export work but could be parked up for 2 or 3 days waiting.They were using low cabbed Scania 112 units. I used to run in for the offal round the back-rough work but good money,I had a Merc 2419 tipper with a HIAB for loading mini-skips.

Been racking my brains to recall the haulage company based in the old aerdrome at Burtonwood right at the side of the M62. The late 80’s seemed to be their moment in time and they ran maroon Volvos. I’m sure it was Brian somebody. I’ll most likely remember it as soon as I post this!

It was Brian Swindells.

I worked for TMC at Skem for a short while and the manager had a massive picture of one of their F88s hung on his wall.

i remember them! are they still going? nice fleet colours.

I remember B Swindells.The drivers were miserable gets.They wouldn’t pick you up if you were on Burtonwood on a dodgy.They had F88 Volvos,nice,but seemed to be chasing all the time.

David James Chinnery:
does anyone remember comarts the drivers wore blue uniforms if i remember they were taken over by unispeed i think . also rumour had it that some of their trucks were accidently filmed during a tv programme about the fleshpots of europe and some of the trucks should have been somwhere else completly it caused a bit of a rumpus with comarts tms and various wives i heard . anyway does truckyboy remember george the fitter at sas transport? And when a certain mr hooper nailed up the loo door with 6 inch nails after george unwittingley stole what he thought was chocolate only to find out later it was a special type !!! your comments please cheers all!

i remember them there is some pictures on here some where of there old trucks cannot remember where i have seen them thou

the aerodrome warehouses which swindells ran out of have been flattened over the last week or so,land being developed :cry:

marky:
It was Brian Swindells.

I worked for TMC at Skem for a short while and the manager had a massive picture of one of their F88s hung on his wall.

I don’t know if Swindell’s are still going, but there are one or two lorries in their livery in preservation. I have a picture of a LAD cab Leyland maroon with a white roof somewhere in my collection. Regards Big Al

Therea thread on here already about Comarts, some good photos too.

David James Chinnery:
And when a certain mr hooper nailed up the loo door with 6 inch nails after george unwittingley stole what he thought was chocolate only to find out later it was a special type !!! your comments please cheers all!

pmsl :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Big Al:

marky:
I don’t know if Swindell’s are still going, but there are one or two lorries in their livery in preservation. I have a picture of a LAD cab Leyland maroon with a white roof somewhere in my collection. Regards Big Al

I think that one went through Kevin Dennis’ first auction at Wainfleet, c.1997.

I haven’t seen it since, but I expect it’s been repainted. If I remember rightly, there was lots of filler in the cab!

Big Al:

marky:
It was Brian Swindells.

I think i met him once yrs ago when we were running bricks to his yard for storeage,did he have red[ginger] hair?.Heard he was a bit of a hard taskmaster.

240 Gardner:
I haven’t seen it since, but I expect it’s been repainted. If I remember rightly, there was lots of filler in the cab!

I think a more accurate description would be that there was a bit of a cab in a mountain of filler…

does anyone remember comarts the drivers wore blue uniforms if i remember they were taken over by unispeed i think . also rumour had it that some of their trucks were accidently filmed during a tv programme about the fleshpots of europe and some of the trucks should have been somwhere else completly it caused a bit of a rumpus with comarts tms and various wives i heard . anyway does truckyboy remember george the fitter at sas transport? And when a certain mr hooper nailed up the loo door with 6 inch nails after george unwittingley stole what he thought was chocolate only to find out later it was a special type !!! your comments please cheers all!

:smiley:
Welcome to TruckNet,David

I remember a firm from Fenton (or was it Longton) Stoke on Trent called Comart Europa. I wonder if it is the same one ?
Blue and white fridges and F88 Volvos ?
I applied for a job with them, around 1973, I think - age 22, still wet behind the ears, just 6 months UK artic experience, never even been abroad before !
Well, it was and still is every ‘apprentice’ lorrydrivers dream, to travel to far flung places with foreign sounding names - and get paid for it !!
Perhaps unsurprisingly, I got a gentle knock -back - come back and see us again son when you’ve a few years more experience. :wink:

I think Truckyboy is on another of his jaunts to Iberia at the moment, so you may not get a reply from him until next week. ( I may be wrong though !)

Welcome to TruckNet UK David James Chinnery :smiley: