old or new

just hunting for a unit at presnent and just after some advice .

we all no breakdowns happen etc

am more than happy with the spanners having owned enough aircooled volswagons over the years you get used to fixing stuff at side of motorway even been in stages where changed head gasket in a laybye :laughing:

all these new computer crap is anoying as if radio dont work its a dealer job at big costs .

my question is if you was able to maintain your own or most of it would you choose a new topline say over a 450 scania

mainly from a finachial point of view and are mpg that far apart

personally, the choice of unit would be more down to how much you can afford.

there is no point in busting the bank for a brand new truck if you can’t really afford it.

generally, the newer units do get better MPG than older units

the units i run (1 x pre facelift XF and 3 x facelift models), i do the majority of the maintainance myself, including the notorious DAF headgaskets :blush:

oh wont bust bank dont like to pay as it is :laughing:

jkust for instence a 450 scania streamline is on par as a topline regarding price.

logicaly i no the topline should be the right choice but old school rules .

even looked at s/s as they seam to be returning very good mpg

the main thing to consider with the 143 450 over the newer 4 or R series Topline is that the later 4 and R series 6x2 will plate at 44 tonne, a 143 will max at 41 tonne

not a problem if you are running light work all the time but no good if you are wanting to run top weight.

there is another member on here that has just obtained his O Licence, he has also been wanting a 143, but he has bought something else (not sure what yet) due to the fact that the 143’s he was looking at were (in his words) tired out for a lot of money.

personally, you would be better off going for a truck that is 5 or 6 years old as a starter truck, if you want a 143, buy one and restore it as a show truck :smiley:

stop been sensible its boring :laughing:

a lot of old ones are dogs but a chap i no has one and am sure could be persuaded to let it go but its mint he does take it to shows etc .

from my understanding the 41ton theroy is down to the engine euro , oh well as i expected looks like the newer one suppose deep down new that all along :cry:

psv8:
stop been sensible its boring :laughing:

Just remember this is a business you’re starting, not a hobby. If you want half a chance of it working out you need to think with your head and not your heart, especially for the first few years when it’s going to be hardest. Get the truck your business needs, not the one your heart wants.

Paul

psv8:
oh wont bust bank dont like to pay as it is :laughing:

jkust for instence a 450 scania streamline is on par as a topline regarding price.

logicaly i no the topline should be the right choice but old school rules .

even looked at s/s as they seam to be returning very good mpg

did ye get sorted ? what about the emissions on older trucks , i.e not being able to go to certain parts of London ?