Scanie 113 450

I am looking at buying a Scanie 113 450 4x2 tractor unit. Can anyone suggest what I can expect by way of MPG from this unit. It looks tidy with 700k (km) on the clock. It for sale at JGE Commercials in Leighton Buzzard, so any info about them also would be good.

Regards

Paul

i`m sorry to be pedantic paul, i think you mean a 143- 450 with the v8. the 113 only went up to 380/400 i think. sorry… i sound a right anorak now :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

You’re quite right its a 143. Thanks for the correction.
[/quote]

If in good nick, the 3 series was the best they have come up with yet … a good 143 450 will pull houses down

TheBear:
If in good nick, the 3 series was the best they have come up with yet … a good 143 450 will pull houses down

So true. One of the ones my dad drove was a powerhouse! Remeber that bad winter we had a couple of years ago? Well one day during it, on the A75 he passed about 5 artics and 6 cars, going up Glenluce hill in the snow :open_mouth: :sunglasses: Now thats what I call a truck :exclamation: A few months later he was given the 144 460 Topline in the fleet. Hated it, kept asking for the 143 back! :laughing:

I’m glad it was, or is a good truck, but any ideas about fuel economy? :confused:

Plambert:
I am looking at buying a Scanie 113 450 4x2 tractor unit. Can anyone suggest what I can expect by way of MPG from this unit.

That depends on what sort of work will you be doing, pulling what type of trailer, what speed you’re cruising at and where you intend to work …

Pulling a 13.6m fridge on long distance work throughout the UK at 90km/h max you probably will be fortunate to get more than 7.5mpg avaerage from a 143.450 even in a good state of tune.

Thanks Craig. I realise its like asking how longs a piece of string without knowing the facts, but this gives me a good idea what to expect - if, as you say its in a good state.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

I had a F reg 143 450 on boxes some years back. It was ok on power, and on the juice I seem to remember about 9 could be got if you were not booting it all the time. 8 aught to be easy enough.

Depends how you drive it (and also other factors as mentioned above). I can’t see why an old motor will be any worse on consumption that a more modern one if one chooses carefully.

I’ve never driven the V8 3-series but I did have a 113M 380 for a while and I pulled as well as your modern day 420 Scania 4-series, 420 FH12 etc, was above average on fuel (9’s) and most important to me, very comfortable and nice to drive.

I don’t think you’ll go far wrong. Take it for a run and let your instincts tell you if it feels right or not. Be aware that with it being a high power (nearly) top of the range motor there’s a realistic chance that it could have done quiet a stint of its life with the fuse out so I’d take the milo reading with a pinch of salt meself.

Good luck :slight_smile: