Old hgv training

hello there has any 1 got any photos of the old class 1 training vehicles,the old cargos,d series etc with them flat trailors,they were the days!!

eddster1979:
hello there has any 1 got any photos of the old class 1 training vehicles,the old cargos,d series etc with them flat trailors,they were the days!!

I had most of my lessons in a Leyland redline ‘Boxer’type artic with a 30’ flat trailer with the single right at the back (not too sure what the unit model was). I had my first lesson on the south circular in the rush hour, talk about a baptism of fire!

The just before my test they swapped to a D series, it was a tiny unit, dwarfed by the trailer, but easier to drive than the Leyland.

I’ve got a picture of the Ford somewhere, I’ll try and find it.

eddster1979:

If you were more fortunate, you got to drive a proper lorry! Note all the concrete test weights, by the way :wink:

Found it!

240 Gardner:

eddster1979:

If you were more fortunate, you got to drive a proper lorry! Note all the concrete test weights, by the way :wink:

Unless my eyes deceive me, that Atki looks like an ‘H’ reg.

If so it’s had a new cab or has been re-registered…

Bender:
Found it!

cheers fellas keep em coming, i found a load of training vehicle cargoes on flickr photos ages ago but i cant seem 2 find them any more there was about 6 or 7 at least

Bender:
Unless my eyes deceive me, that Atki looks like an ‘H’ reg.

If so it’s had a new cab or has been re-registered…

Your anorak must be similar to mine! :wink: It was fitted with a brand new cab in 1973, following an accident on Preston Dock. Apparently, it wouldn’t fit into a 6’ wide gap… That same cab is still on it today.

Wheel Nut:

Amazing how my own photos work their way back to me!! :wink: