Training vehicles

Dont think these vehicles, would make suitable training vehicles anymore! :open_mouth:
These are the vehicles my dad used to use to do his driver training in the the late eighties early nineties.

The Aec was used for the old class 3 and had a tank body, The Sed Atki was a six wheel class 2 flat bed. The bus had a top speed of 42 MPH! Dont think people would like to take their tests in them now.

The D series Ford, pulled a single axle trailer, with the axle right at the back of the trailer, The ERF was my favourite, cant remeber what gearbox it had in it though, The Foden was a beast, and had a twin splitter in it!
Did anyone on here pass on these vehicles■■? The company was CJB Driver Training from Stoke on Trent. Me dads name was Ron, or it would have been a guy called Mark

no word of a lie,but two trucks you have pictured there,first got me hooked on trucks by just their looks.
dont know the models(no doubt,someone will).
the foden,and the seedi atki.
pure class!!

i never had my test in any of them but i did have a D series as my first own truck was a 7.5 tonne horsebox which i converted to a beavertail body which i used to transport my classic tractors a few years ago.

Sorry I’m new style, I passed in an FH12 :laughing:

Steve-o:
Sorry I’m new style, I passed in an FH12 :laughing:

I passed in a Ford Cargo , not long after they first appeared
:blush:

Suedehead:
I passed in a Ford Cargo , not long after they first appeared
:blush:

So did I so your embarrasment is now passed to me :blush:

Then the 1st truck i drove “in anger” was a D series Ford, followed by a Leyland Cheiftain, and a Dodge Commander…Joys of Royal Mail trucking in the Eighties…we thought we were well off when they got a Leyland Freighter and Roadtrain :blush: :blush: :blush:

Thanks Rog resized the pics now!

bugcos:
Thanks Rog resized the pics now!

You’re welcome :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I would like that AEC with the tank on please :stuck_out_tongue:

the sed atk is a 400 series mate, dad had one when i was younger (1980) bloody loved that truck too… :smiley:

Think that one was a W reg mate, cant rember what gearbox it had in it, in fact cant remember if I went in it, because if my memory serves me right a 6 wheel F7 turned up to replace it.

Back in them days to be honest not many people bothered with class 2 or 3, they just went straight for the artic.

wirralpete:
the sed atk is a 400 series mate, dad had one when i was younger (1980) bloody loved that truck too… :smiley:

I think it was the smaller 200 or 300, my 1st truck was a V reg Sed Ack 200 with the International engine, and a split back axle, that rarely worked. We also had an AEC but that was before I passed my test, it was a sod for getting stuck in gear, so I had to go out, and take the top of the gearbox, and wangle it around till I found a neutral again :unamused:
And people moan about having to change bulbs nowadays :laughing:

I think it was the smaller 200 or 300
didnt the smaller 200/300 have single headlights? cant remember if they did or not…pete

wirralpete:
I think it was the smaller 200 or 300
didnt the smaller 200/300 have single headlights? cant remember if they did or not…pete

:blush: you could be right, there weren’t many 400 rigids like.

Passed my test in a D series with a splitter box - what a shed, it struggled to get up to 50 on the dual carriageway as well, nice to look back on the old wagons again though.

The Sedd/Atki in the picture is definitly a 400 series all the 300/200 series had the cab set lower and the headlights were fixed in the cab panel just above the bumper bar whereas the 400 had them in the bumper bar as per the pic. Bubbleman has just posted some good Sedd/Atki pics in his Scrapbook thread on the Oldtime lorries page.
I’m sure the 200 series was brought out as a lightweight 4/6 wheeler before the 300 and there were a lot of 400 rigids about 6 & 8 wheelers being the norm but not many as 4 wheelers.
The 300 was a response to tipper and bulk haulers wanting to get more payload and didn’t want the bigger heavier 400 cab.
IIRC the 300 used ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ or Fuller set up and the 200 used International Harvester or Perkins Phaser engine’s can’t remember gearbox though. IH were the owners of Sedd/Atki at the time of the 200/300 series launch hence the use of their engines as a first choice for the 200. Also I’m pretty sure P & O ran a lot of the 300/301 series twin steer tractor unit’s on box work out of Felixstowe along with a lot of others.
Hope this bit of info helps.
Regards
Dave Penn;

The 200 and 300 both had International engines, very light but the 300 8 wheelers and tractors were totally gutless, the later 201/211 had a Perkins Phaser and the 301/311 used the L10 as either 250 or 290; a lot of the 300 and 301 had the 10 speed spicer as per the Roadtrain but the 311 got a choice of Fuller or Twinsplit. We had several 311 - L10 290 tractors when I was at Northwest Freighters in the late 80s, not a bad machine from the accountants point of view. Northwest also had some 400 rigid 4 wheeler box vans, Gardner 6LXB 180, 6 speed David Brown and 2 speed Eaton axles. They must have been the fastest 180 Gardner powered vehicles ever,
I seem to recall they would manage about 74/75 mph, but they weighed well over 8 tons tare, with a gross of 16tons, not very productive!

davepenn54:
The Sedd/Atki in the picture is definitly a 400 series all the 300/200 series had the cab set lower and the headlights were fixed in the cab panel just above the bumper bar whereas the 400 had them in the bumper bar as per the pic. Bubbleman has just posted some good Sedd/Atki pics in his Scrapbook thread on the Oldtime lorries page.
I’m sure the 200 series was brought out as a lightweight 4/6 wheeler before the 300 and there were a lot of 400 rigids about 6 & 8 wheelers being the norm but not many as 4 wheelers.
The 300 was a response to tipper and bulk haulers wanting to get more payload and didn’t want the bigger heavier 400 cab.
IIRC the 300 used ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ or Fuller set up and the 200 used International Harvester or Perkins Phaser engine’s can’t remember gearbox though. IH were the owners of Sedd/Atki at the time of the 200/300 series launch hence the use of their engines as a first choice for the 200. Also I’m pretty sure P & O ran a lot of the 300/301 series twin steer tractor unit’s on box work out of Felixstowe along with a lot of others.
Hope this bit of info helps.
Regards
Dave Penn;

The 200 Series was just a 4-wheeler, and the 300 Series came out as just a 6-wheeler. There followed 300 Series drawbar
4-wheelers and 24 & 28 ton tractors and, following development work with Pandoro, a 32T tractor was produced and also
an 8-legger. As someone has said, they were pretty gutless, and needed every one of their 12 ZF gears to row them along.

The engine was the 194 bhp DT466 in the 6-wheelers and lighter tractors, and the intercooled DTi466 in the 32 tonner and
8-wheeler, offering 214 lightweight, lame ponies.

One of the Pandoro motors was fitted experimentally with a lightweight Fuller as well.

The 301 was a different animal, introduced as a lightweight 38 tonner to coincide with the new weight regs in May 1983.
They were first introduced with a Spicer, but later had a Fuller option before the 3-11 came along.

Again, Pandoro were involved in development, and had a prototype L10 engine in a development motor in 1981.
It was actually a 401 chassis with a 400 cab, and had a lightweight Fuller behind what was then described as the
■■■■■■■ ‘Blue Series’ engine. It went like ■■■ off a shovel, and was reckoned to develop rather more than the
250bhp first marketed. The wagon had originally been built with an 8-cylinder Gardner, and they had kept the tall gearing
behind the little ■■■■■■■■ but it didn’t seem to slow it down much!

The 200 Series was available only with the IH engine, but Perkins became an option for the 201. The 200 Series cab
was also narrower than the 300 Series, although the 300 cab was set lower than the 400.

F86 with a 30ft single axle flat trailer…What an animal,the guy used to park it on the Industrial estate at Trentham Bugcos possibly while you were in short trousers :smiley: