oh my...

It’s coming once again. Bit of a sleet came down today in southern Finland, and I spotted this nice set from Finnish Road Administration weather cameras.

Scanny is having a lead, but there is Daf coming fast in right edge of the picture.

10 minutes have passed, Scanny is having some serious trouble and Daf is trying to overtake :exclamation:
Volvo driver in third place is obviously having a good time with his powerful rear wheel driven sports vehicle.

Another 10 minutes have passed and now Scanny is obviously winning the race while Volvo is fastly achieving Daf.

Volvo driver had to give up as he ran rear wheel out of the road. Now when 50 minutes has passed since he got into the sight of the camera helpful snowplough driver is in work to pull him over the hill.

I can’t say nothing but:
Have a nice time waiting for winter with your artics :wink:

is this online whats the link ?

http://alk.tiehallinto.fi/alk/english/frames/kelikamerat-frame.html

Camera where pics were taken is first camera northwest from Helsinki. Direct link: http://alk.tiehallinto.fi/alk/english/kelikamerat/kamera-BG.html

thanks mate

:laughing: Nice commentary

thanks for posting :slight_smile:

thanks great picture,perhaps the driver of that truck
would like a set of these for his unit,they are used
quite alot here in Germany, look at the link,

http://www.rudchain.com/snow/roto2.htm

Pete: I think at least one, if not all, have same kind of device as these are very common sight in all types of goods vehicles over here. I’ve never heard from manufacturer you pointed to. Here we call this device Onspot or “chain thrower” when translated directly.

Nevertheless, I doubt if these devices are much of help in sleet or in “soft” snow. I have no first hand experience but I’d think sleet (or snow) would “lift” drive axle tires so that you couldn’t get all the advantage out of this device. Surely more weight on drive axle would balance this effect, but in such case you wouldn’t need extra grip so early. Also, these devices require some amount of speed, or when stuck some wheel spin with diff lock enabled to start working properly, which is luxury stuck up truck/lorry often don’t have.

what about the trick the AUSTRIANS had
mounted on their trucks with the automatic
sand thrower just before the DRIVE AXELS
and what about this liquid glue that some
scandnavian lorrys used ,when and where
can you use the studded tyres in FINNLAND;

THE DIFF-LOCK does not have to be on
when useing the item from rud chains
and is well liked by some transport
firms over here,

Sand throwers are know and widely used over here also, although not even close as common as chain throwers. As these two devices have somewhat different capabilities, and sand thrower is much more ■■■■■■■■■■ and expensive to maintain, it is generally used in more demanding conditions. Logger is more likely to have sand throwers and artic more likely to have chain throwers, but some trucks have boths. As said, it depends what is required. Sand thrower is best on on ice, chain thrower is better than sand on sleet/“soft snow” as long as you can keep moving and proper chains outperform both of these.

I’ve not heard before about the glue you mentioned. Could you get some more information about it?

brit pete:
when and where
can you use the studded tyres in FINNLAND;

Studded tyres can be used starting from today (November 1st) to 4rd of April, or outside of this period when weather requires them to be used. There are no other restrictions.

THE DIFF-LOCK does not have to be on
when useing the item from rud chains
and is well liked by some transport
firms over here,

I was referring to situation when you are stalled without chain thrower being applied and then you have to get wheels spinning to get it under tires. You’re right, it can be done one tyre at time but most likely outcome of trying to get chain under the tyre/tires, diff lock applied or not, is to get rear axle(s) sliding towards ditch. This is what I meant with luxury you often don’t have, and when stuck on hill one should use diff lock to get truck moving at all. After that you should get and maintain little bit of speed to get device working properly, which can be also be little bit difficult if you are going forward 20 meters in ten minutes :wink:

Chain thrower is a great device, I don’t deny that. Despite it having some serious flaws, it’s still much better to have it than not to have. Just like in Norway it’s much better to have one tyre chains on drive axle than no chains at all, despite it having some flaws when compared to double tyre chains

i know it sounds stupid but it has stuck in my head i read it in

one of the truck mags and it was SWEDEN the country THAT WAS

mentioned as to where the teste or it was being used,i am looking on the web but have had no luck will keep on looking and NO it was not april the first either when the report was posted,

Nice pics and commentary Kyrbo!

As it has been so warm here in England (today is first cold day of the year) it is interesting to see you already have winter…good luck :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

TC

The Scanny in the first pic is Irish, thats why he won, no stoppin him, keep 'em, rollin :smiley:

Good Pics :smiley:

routier:
The Scanny in the first pic is Irish, thats why he won, no stoppin him, keep 'em, rollin :smiley:

no the rear chevron markings are just similar - it definitely ain’t irish

Nice pics Krybo,but i see you have the mad english disease of a person riding a pushbike in that weather.

jj72:

routier:

disagree, the rear markers on the back of the trailer are definitely markings of a trailer from the republic.

routier:

jj72:

routier:

disagree, the rear markers on the back of the trailer are definitely markings of a trailer from the republic.

oh to true it is irish… legal requirment for irish to have those strips on the back of lorries dunno how it is in england thouhg

Why would an Irish driver be using his brakes?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

TC

The glue you refer to sounds like something that I came across in the mid 80’s, some Swedish drivers were using a brown black liquid/ like glue they called it Trucker Tar you painted it on the tyres, and it sort of gave extra grip to the ice and it also melted the ice stunk of ethanol or some such flamable chemical never found out what it was called but they did tell me that it was only available in Norway and Sweden