Odd spec vehicles

I saw this today an 8x2 FM artic unit with an 66t/m crane. Obviously it cost a few quid, wonder why thy didn’t get it as an FH?

There’s a groundwork company near us with an STGO plated day cabbed FM. Just looks wrong when pulling a 35t excavator.

Might be height issues near to base, or trying everything to keep weight down, or could have been right price at right time.

i was going to say maybe they have a height access problem somewhere BUT the crane looks like it will poke up above the cab anyway.

so yeah, why wouldn’t they have an fh?

toowise:
Might be height issues near to base, or trying everything to keep weight down, or could have been right price at right time.

Could be weight I suppose as it’d be fairly heavy and didn’t appear to be STGO although how much weight saving there would be I dunno.

Thinking about it I guess it must be a height issue, I know they’ve got a fair few FH’s so rather than access it might be room for the crane to slew over the cab. Still looks wrong though. :laughing:

looking closly it appears to be a 4 axle unit, maybe it was converted from an 8wheeler rigid ?

toowise:
looking closly it appears to be a 4 axle unit, maybe it was converted from an 8wheeler rigid ?

I’d not thought of that, just assumed it was a special like the STGO type 4 axle units. You’re probably on the money with that idea.

A firm I used to work for had a scania 6x4 artic t cab that was a day cab. It looked weird but we didn’t have nights out and it was offered at a very good price as I suppose it had a very limited market

8wheels:
I know they’ve got a fair few FH’s so rather than access it might be room for the crane to slew over the cab. Still looks wrong though. :laughing:

collect 200 quid and pass go :laughing:

kr79:
A firm I used to work for had a scania 6x4 artic t cab that was a day cab. It looked weird but we didn’t have nights out and it was offered at a very good price as I suppose it had a very limited market

Econic, yes that looks crap too.

What strikes me as slightly odd about that truck is not the cab size. You can quite easily fit a crane that size on a 6x4 or even a heavy chassis 6x2 as long as you have a 9 ton front axle so why go to the expence of an extra axle when it’s not needed, I could see the point if it was a 8x4 doing heavy haulage as well as crane work but it looks like a light tag or rear steer.
If it was me specking a crane for an 8 wheeled unit it would be 85 t/m minimum.

it was never a rigid always been a tractor unit