Stretched Twin Steer DAF - Suit Big Crane

One of the places that I called at this week had this in the yard.

It is an X reg DAF CF430 8 wheeler that has been stretched from an artic tractor unit (presumably 6x2) Currently it has a beaver tail body approx 30’ long on it, although this is going to be removed before the vehicle is sold.

This would make a good chassis to mount a large crane on the front as the bigger spacing between the steering axles gives loads of room for stabilisers. The ramps on the back are hydraulic, so it must be PTO equipped.

Overall it seemed tidy enough but I don’t know how much he wants for it, knowing him he would probably try and up the price if he thought you wanted it to save doing a stretch yourself rather than if you just wanted an 8 wheeler.

I am not trying to sell this for him, but know that from recent posts there is a demand for this sort of thing. I’ll pass his details on if anyone is interested.

Have you any more details on it 8w, how long was the bed? What year? Has the rake on the 2nd steer been adjusted. I was talking to a guy from Howden cranes last week, they had done a similar conversion to a 6x2 Scania turning it into a 8x2 with a 47 ton/mtr arm. No adjustment had been made to the rake and he was telling me that is was very numb. As we left the Calder Valley Road industrial area he had to do a 3 point turn to get back in towards waky.

If it’s up for sale and you could pm me contact number I’d be grateful.

I’ve seen a few up and down lately, the latest was this week on an Iveco ran by GT Transport, they must be local as they had a 01924 number on the cab, has anyone got the rest of the number?

An 8x4 would do the job I’m on (cabins) but a 6x2 would be better as there’s an axle less to tyre and maintain and it also gives more chassis space to carry more tackle.

Cheers Phil

Right, I am not sure of exact facts but I’ll fill you in as best I can.

Its a DAF CF X REG with a sleeper cab (not a huge one) 430 engine so it should pull like a train (like my FM12 420).

From a casual look around only I would say that it is as long as mine 12m, it’s got a sleepr cab but no crane so the body has got to be about 30’ long.

When I called there last week I chatted briefly to one of the drivers and asked if was a pig to drive, apparently it’s not too bad (they have got a regular 8 wheeler as well) this might suggest the rake has been altered. I would imagine it has been as their yard is awkward to get into with mine. The driver told me it would be sold without everything on it.

When I went on Monday I saw the boss and asked him if he’d had it stretched, apparently he bought it that way and was sketchy on other details. All the gubbins mounted on it is road cleaning equipment, I suspect that it might not be available chassis only. Furthermore the boss said he was looking to get rid of one or possibly two of his lorries. Although he didn’t specify which he did say that he might sell it.

Another look around at the rear axles showed that axle 4 is a SAR? SAF? axle rather than a DAF suggesting that it’s been added on as an undriven axle although without crawling into the muddy puddle cannot definately confirm this. It is on air so it might be a lift axle, it is however a twin wheel.

Why someone has converted a twin steer 6x2 artic unit to an 8 wheeler with no crane is somewhat a mystery to me, what the benefit is or was I cannot imagine. The body was built by Coalville Commercials, maybe they stretched it too.

I will PM you the contact details.

Just looked up Coalville Commercials website, they do carry out chassis extensions.